318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > I'm thinking about buying a ti.

Notices

I'm thinking about buying a ti. Ask all your questions about the possible purchase of a ti. Keep in mind, we are biased.

» Recent Threads
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by two30grain
Yesterday 06:42 PM
1 Replies, 1,715 Views
E30 trailing arms
Yesterday 04:43 PM
Last post by packratbimmer
Yesterday 04:43 PM
0 Replies, 148 Views
OMG!OMG!
Yesterday 08:53 AM
Last post by Kathylaf
Yesterday 08:53 AM
0 Replies, 311 Views
FS: Racing Dynamics RGR...
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
Last post by 7Senna8
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
0 Replies, 1,140 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 07-28-2005, 07:15 PM   #31
96cali

To my knowledge the uneven tire wear is not an issue on stock Ti's (or any bimmers) that are within alignment specs. If there is uneven tire wear it points to driving the car out of alignment or maybe he took out lowering springs, etc. From the general condition of the bumper and tires and other cosmetics I bet he just drove it misaligned. These cars get 4 wheel alignment inspections but only the fronts are adjustable in stock form. If the rears are out you're into replacing hardware which I have rarely heard of on this board. There are parts that will correct the excessive negative camber in the $200 - $400 range. Usually only cars with lowering springs need that though. If you can get 225 tires in back it will probably go away. One other note, bimmers require a load weight while aligning supposedly to simulate the weight of riders, etc.

The short shifter sounds like it is doing it's job actually. The stock shift linkage is a little notchy then floats between gears with little resistance. In any case there are great ssk's from www.understeer.com and B&M for less than $125. A simple issue to address.

The rolled fenders would throw me but it sounds like your experienced in modded cars. Offer low and work up. Don't sweat it. Not many people are as patient as you and I bet he'll have few buyers.

96cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 07:53 PM   #32
gietl

Well I know he has repeated this to me and it is in his ad:

Rear Trail Arms Brand New (Camber Fully Adjustable) bushings

I honestly think that witht eh RD Springs and the 245s there is no way to avoid that wear. If I do it I will run the 245s til they die and replace with 225's so I can do an even rotation. The look is nice, but too costly to maintain different size f & r tires.

Also, the last alignment looks to be Jan of this year. You pretty much need an alignment every year or two here in colorado with all the road stuff going on.

Goot to know on the shifter, I wasn't too worried, but coming from the VW/Audi world and worn out synchros you tend to get paranoid about this stuff.

I think I am going to go ahead and put in an offer to the guy, a low one of course but I think it will be a fair offer based on the overall condition. However I am going to make it contingent on the inspection and that I may walk away if it is really bad or come back with a different offer if the inspection is anything other than what i expect it to be.

I'll let you folks know how it goes.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:07 PM   #33
angel318ti

if your sensor stays on all the time just diconect it fron the pad and attach the the two wires together. Even though its the easy way out..... Its free!!!
angel318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 06:41 AM   #34
gietl

Well he has my offer and is sleeping on it, should know by morning.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:18 PM   #35
96cali

FYI '96 Ti's were prone to popping out of first gear. It would feel engaged but it wasn't. Mine sticks a little when the car is cold but has not been a problem. The cheap solution is to develop the habit of going 2-1 from a stop to align the synchro thingees and pay attention. It's loud when it happens!

96cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 08:28 AM   #36
gietl

Cool, well I haven't heard back, so my assumption is that he doesn't like my offer. It was about $500 less than he wanted. However, based ont eh needs of the car I felt my price was fair even though it was low.

Anywho, I will see what the weekend brings, if another ti Sport shows in Colorado before I find a car I'm sure I'll be back.

BTW, on a side note, what a great community. I got really excited about this ti reading about the longevity of these cars amd teh interaction between members. While I may not appreciate them as much as most of you, the bond on here resembles a lot of the club I am a part of in Denver which goes beyond the car.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:45 AM   #37
gietl

Well gang my search has finally ended. The ti never worked out and after a lot of searching I went back to my roots and picked up a 2006 VW Passat 2.0T