318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
FS: Racing Dynamics RGR...
Yesterday 03:29 AM
Last post by 7Senna8
Yesterday 03:29 AM
0 Replies, 381 Views
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by Jclare318ti
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
0 Replies, 973 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 09-16-2009, 03:37 AM   #31
tiFreak

Vehicles

I misread, my bad, I thought the cap was just a cosmetic upgrade
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:24 PM   #32
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpcapital View Post
The cap is probably gonna be derived from the one for the E36 which looks like this:

They sell it either black anodized or natural aluminum.

I like the oil cooler IE has since it's a good price for the size. IE was never known to have flashy stuff, but all the stuff they sell, they use it on their race cars, so it's very functional

For the cap go on the IE website (www.bmw2002.com) and it's under the E36 - Engine section (Oil cooler adapter). The heat exchanger is under the "Other Racing parts"

The best way to mount an oil cooler (just like any other radiator) is vertical with the inlet lower than the outlet.

That's (.)(.)....I think I might need on of those
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:23 PM   #33
lpcapital

Here's the description from IE website

Quote:
New Product - Oil Cooler Adapter for E36 6 cylinder - These allow you to install an oil cooler without modifying or replacing the oil filter housing. This adapter replaces the oil filter cap. It directs the filtered oil out to a cooler. Oil returning from the cooler is directed into the engine in the normal manner. Oil ports are 3/8" pipe thread. There are 2 additional ports that can be used for temp sensors or to oil turbo or supercharger. These use a standard BMW oil filter (Mahle OX154/1D). An oil filter is included with the adapter. Available with black anodize or natural aluminum.

Note: These adapters only fit the oil filter housings with bolt on top.
I'll ask how the lubrication of the turbo would happen, but that would allow you to simplify your setup and use the regula oil pressure to lubricate/cool your turbo. I'll let you know once I find out.

Worse come to worse, I but an M5x housing, cut off the center spindle and weld it on the M42 housing. Last time I checked with them they were thinking about machining a sleave that would go over the center spindle so that it would be just like the M5x spindle and the cap would fit...

2003 Z4 2.5i
2002 Ducati Monster S4
lpcapital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:41 PM   #34
lpcapital

Great news!!!

Jeremy said he has a couple of designs in mind and he'll work on them once he can get some shop time. He estimate sometimes towards the end of next week.

I asked him about the feed of the turbo and he said that on the return line there's 2 pressurize plugs so you'll be able to get oil to the turbo directly from there. The oil will be both filtered and cooled.

Anyway, I'll post updates as the became available but it looks like the M44 is soon gonna have a simple solution for an oil cooler.

I think that particualrly when you add forced induction an oil cooler is just as beneficial as an intercooler. The great thing in particular about the M44 is that the pistones are oil cooled through nozzles: this allows you to remove a great deal of heat directly from the combusiton chamber and the cooler will dissipate such heat... Oil gets much clooser to the area where heat is generated, that's why I'm hoping to see benefits from this... Nonetheless constant temperature is always a good thing...

2003 Z4 2.5i
2002 Ducati Monster S4

Last edited by lpcapital; 09-18-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:13 AM   #35
Danny318

nice
Danny318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:19 PM   #36
lpcapital

Got a hold of IE and they said they got the cap working, but they can't find a filter that would...

But it's not dead yet: what could be done is to use the housing just to tap into the oil lines, and put a remote filter... I know it's kinda complicated and not as elegant of a solution...

We'll see if that can work

2003 Z4 2.5i
2002 Ducati Monster S4
Old 10-01-2009, 09:27 PM   #37
lpcapital

Screw that: I've pulled the trigger.

The choice went for a Mocal takeoff plate. Much more elegant solution and gives me room for the plumbing of the intercooler I'm working on.

I've order it thorugh BAT, the Mocal importer for the US down in Florida.

I've asked, if possible, to have it natuaral aluminum...

Here's how the plate looks like

This means I need to do some more work that I was originally planing on doing. The plate fits to the block in place of the current oil filter housing

This means I need to add a remote oil filter. It's gonna get imported directly from the UK so they should have it it in about 10 days. It costs $145

2003 Z4 2.5i
2002 Ducati Monster S4

Last edited by lpcapital; 12-02-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:50 AM   #38
marko

wow... just came across this thread! crazy cause I was on bfc looking into oil coolers just a day or two ago!
since my work blocked the 318ti.org site - I've been missing much of the good stuff...

anyway.. bfc oil cooler threads mention a definite need for a oil cooler thermostat - specially for colder climates. are you gonna install one, or did I miss that part of the thread? minimum 160 degrees I hear is absolutelly necessary.

EDIT: you are in Cali - I guess you dot need it there.
/DASC w.3' pulley @ 15psi/SNOW System/3.45 LSD/Billstein PSS coils
/Stromung Exhaust/DS1's/X-Brace/Front & Rear H&R Sways/OMP 300mm SW
/SAP delete/ASC+T delete/Hayabusa valve springs/MM's LTW flywheel
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:59 AM   #39
lpcapital

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
wow... just came across this thread! crazy cause I was on bfc looking into oil coolers just a day or two ago!
since my work blocked the 318ti.org site - I've been missing much of the good stuff...

anyway.. bfc oil cooler threads mention a definite need for a oil cooler thermostat - specially for colder climates. are you gonna install one, or did I miss that part of the thread? minimum 160 degrees I hear is absolutelly necessary.

EDIT: you are in Cali - I guess you dot need it there.
Yes. Unless the car is track only you don't want to run on the street without a thermo. That will cause the oil to be too cold which is just as bad as too hot. The purpose of any cooling system is to maintain temp constant.

Since I'll have to relocate the oil filter, I will use this mount (http://www.jegs.com/i/Perma-Cool/771/1721/10002/-1) with this thermostat sandwitch plate (http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/51712/10002/-1).

The oil will flow through the filter and if the temp is below 160 it will go straight back to engine, if not, if will gradually flow through the cooler. The thermo will be fully open at 180 where 100% of the oil be routed to the cooler before heading back to the block...

The more I look at that plate the more I like it... I just hope it they have it something other than red; if not I guess I'll have to re-anodize it...

2003 Z4 2.5i
2002 Ducati Monster S4

Last edited by lpcapital; 10-02-2009 at 01:02 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:36 AM   #40
pnosker

Nice! Let me know if/when a full solution with oil filter relocation is figured out. I hate the leaky system that's in place now.
pnosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:02 AM   #41
lpcapital

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnosker View Post
Nice! Let me know if/when a full solution with oil filter relocation is figured out. I hate the leaky system that's in place now.
I sure will. The tricky part is get all the fittings and hose ends figured out since I don't like being in the middle of a job and having to order some more things...

The whole system looks like it's gonna cost about $600: it includes about $150 for gauges and senders. Also I'm using all AN fittings since I'm taking no chances of using barbs and have them come aprt while driving. All hoses are aero spec with stailess steel reinforcement. Between hose ends and hose it looks like it's gonna be between $150 and $200.

I'll post details of the shopping list as I get it figured out...

2003 Z4 2.5i
2002 Ducati Monster S4
Old 10-02-2009, 04:31 PM   #42
pdxmotorhead

I have lost track of the number of ruined engines I've worked on when Push-Fit oil lines are used.

Hydro Crimped or Aeroquipe, or don't do it.

Its possible to hit over 200 PSI in the oil system under hard down shifts and the pump relief valve is a tad slow. Its a micro surge so most of the time the gauge won't show it, I've seen it on my data logging systems on the race engines.

Just my opinion mind but if you do use push fit hose swap the hose out every other year or keep a really close eye on its condition.

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:23 PM   #43
lpcapital

Absolutely: that is not my setup. They are just some pix of the takeoff plate I found on the Internet.

The hose I'll be using be Aeroquip FC333 racing which has a partial steel wire inner braid and a full stainless steel outer braid reinforcement. It's rated 1000PSI and -55 to 300 deg. The hose ends will be tapper-swivel -AN.

Bat Inc (the importer of the plate from Mocal GB) has a very nice selection at a good price.

2003 Z4 2.5i
2002 Ducati Monster S4
Old 10-02-2009, 07:53 PM   #44
lpcapital

I'm almost done with the product list and the diagram of the oil flow.

(sorry my chicken scratch...)

numbers in the diagram refer to parts in the list.

I've ordered all the parts from Jegs and the cooler form Ireland Engineering. I'm waiting to confirm that an 80PSI gauge is enough so I can order the parts from eGauges. Next week I should be able to start working on the oil filter relocation, securing the cooler and installing the gauges with the wiring. Once Bat get's the plate, I'll order the rest of the hoses and hose ends...

EDIT: gauges/senders and oil cooler are on their way. Sometimes next week I whould start working on it...

2003 Z4 2.5i
2002 Ducati Monster S4

Last edited by lpcapital; 12-02-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:10 AM   #45
Danny318

Will you make kits ?
Danny318 is offline   Reply With Quote