318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Anything other than automotive related.

» Recent Threads
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
06-01-2024 03:04 PM
7 Replies, 409,597 Views
1995 318i M42 removal of...
05-30-2024 02:07 AM
Last post by BertrandP102
05-30-2024 02:07 AM
0 Replies, 1,086 Views
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by two30grain
05-28-2024 06:42 PM
1 Replies, 3,346 Views
E30 trailing arms
05-28-2024 04:43 PM
Last post by packratbimmer
05-28-2024 04:43 PM
0 Replies, 1,077 Views
OMG!OMG!
05-28-2024 08:53 AM
Last post by Kathylaf
05-28-2024 08:53 AM
0 Replies, 1,296 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-06-2009, 03:12 AM   #46
aceyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda View Post
THERE IS NO DOLBY TRUE HD!
I think we're crossing streams here.

Dolby TrueHD is a trademarked term to describe a certain type of audio; it is not in fact true HD audio. I think we can agree on that.

However, it is Dolby Labs that created that term (not Sony) and is the best supported codec for audio in a HT setup, surpassing AC3 (DVD audio).

HDMI is capable of sending uncompressed PCM audio.

And FFS, try using paragraphs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuGo View Post
With the "analog" cables it still sounded so damn krazy. I'm just going to buy the HD cables for the PS3. If i get the HDMi cable the sound will play out from my tv (since its only 1 cable), and i want it to come out from my surround sound speakers.
Once again, you're missing the point. Blu-Ray is encoded to a maximum of 1080p. The component PS3 HD cable will only move 1080i due to licensing restraints. HDMI is your only choice for 1080p. Anything less and you're not getting the whole picture.

If you need it short-bus simple, you need two cables:
PS3 -> HDMI -> TV
PS3 -> TOSLink -> Receiver

If your TV is anything like mine, it has an optical out. All my HDMI cables go into the tv (dish receiver, xbox360, blu-ray), and the optical out goes to the receiver. The TV volume is set at zero (mute has a stupid display). When I change the volume, I only change the volume on my remote.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:16 AM   #47
aceyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATF View Post
Now I'm confused. Is it Blu-ray Disc, Blu-ray, BRD, BR-D, or Br-D
As long as it's not Blue-ray.

Apparently the official acronym is BD, but most people have been using BRD since it's more descriptive.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:29 AM   #48
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyx View Post
As long as it's not Blue-ray.

Apparently the official acronym is BD, but most people have been using BRD since it's more descriptive.
Blue Ray

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:00 AM   #49
yoda

Vehicles

aceyx,
I think you have missed the point that DD/AC3 and DTS are compression formats for the the mix of any movie as SDDS is as well. Dolby Labs came out with something to add to SONY's Blu-Ray. Why else would you have people with DVD collections go out and BUY a whole new collection in BR Format and paying twice as much for the same movie?

Once Again I have to reiterate the FACT that I am an Audio Engineer, and I have worked on Sound for Films... Pro Audio for Films is recorded and mixed at 16 bit 48 kHz, at higher Bits and sample rates the track count diminishes and therefore you can't have that many elements going in at once. Making the whole process more cumbersome than it should be, and costing the Studios MORE hours of work at the Sound Stage. Not gonna Happen...
Anything that they can market as better to get more people to buy, they will!, even if it means that they'll up convert sound from a 16/48 to a 24/96... if the consumer based decoder can handle it. It doesn't mean it is better quality, in fact it is lesser quality because of digital artifacts created by the up-sampling of the source material.
As to Video...
Those who have invested in a collection of DVD's can simply buy a video scaler/line multiplier to get an image that it up to 3 times better than the original (close to HD quality). This FACT is something the regular consumer IS unaware of.
As to SONY and Dolby Labs developing separately...lol... They are both in the SAME town LA, and in the close nit community of Hollywood nothing much happens without the others being involved. Heck, how do you think Dolby Sur, and EX came to be? GEORGE LUCAS working with Dolby Labs for Return and Menace.
Keep in mind the digital file containing the mix can only handle so much information and it pretty much reached its limit. If you need me to explain in detail how the formats work let me know...
The Mix you hear on most DVD's were the Original Theatrical Mix, from about 4 years back movie makers began Re-mixing for DVD's in a Smaller Stage, but the end result IS the SAME.
yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:04 AM   #50
ATF

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda View Post
Anything that they can market as better to get more people to buy, they will!, even if it means that they'll up convert sound from a 16/48 to a 24/96... if the consumer based decoder can handle it. It doesn't mean it is better quality, in fact it is lesser quality because of digital artifacts created by the up-sampling of the source material.
Is the only thing I caught out of all of this. And I only understand it because I use to be an OiNK whore. Transcoding ftl.

BMWCCA #403399
2012 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 6-Speed
Loaded
2001 325xi, Winter Package, 5-Speed
Traded
1998 318ti, Active, Automatic, TOTAL LOSS R.I.P. 10/20/08
Bilstein Sport Shocks/Struts . H&R Sport Springs . Strut Reinforcement Plates . RSM Reinforcement Plates . Fogg Airbox . X-Brace . Bosal Brospeed Catback
ATF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:19 AM   #51
HuGo

You guys are killing me

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:20 AM   #52
aceyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuGo View Post
Blue Ray
Call it what you will, Huggo.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:55 AM   #53
HuGo

Quote:
Call it what you will, Huggo.
LoL

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 01-06-2009, 05:40 AM   #54
HuGo

Here's 1 video. Keep in mind i recorded it with my camera. It doesn't sound as great as the actual thing lol.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 01-06-2009, 05:58 AM   #55
HuGo

Here's 2 more i recorded.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 01-06-2009, 06:43 PM   #56
yoda

Vehicles
Default Dolby True HD

Hey aceyx,
I just read the specs for Dolby True HD, and even though it claims it can carry 24-bit 192kHz Audio (which is HD Audio) the Studios are not Recording or Mixing in this Format. That would mean Retro-Fitting every single Movie Theater that plays Dolby, The other is Where on the Film Strip will they place the Audio since by now almost ALL space has been taken by all formats.

And the one and most important Factor is that to be an actual HD Audio Mix, Everything from Original Dialogue (on set recordings), to every little sound FX, and music had to be originally recorded in HD. On set Sound Mixers use a STD DAT recorder that does 16-bit 48-kHz MAX, unless they go FULL Digital and have to set up a computer Station with a mixer and so on... very rare to have this happen.

I can say that there are NO HD Sound Recordings for Sound FX or Sound Designing out there, all Sound libraries sold are at 16-bit 48-kHz. The ONLY possible HD Audio Source would be Music cause it is very doable!...since it all is done separate from the filming process and on it's on recording/ mixing stage, but then when it gets to the mixing stage it would limit the overall track count to the entire Mix.

I think a Full Fledged ProTools HD set-up can only handle 1/3 the regular track count when recording/mixing at 24-bit 192-kHz. Movies Today have an AVG Track count of 500 to 700 Tracks between all DME's (DME= Dialogue, Music & FX).

I can say that you might be able to buy Music to play Through Dolby True HD, but Movies will have to wait a LONG TIME to reach that HD point. Besides the fact that there really isn't any noticeable difference for the normal hearing person. Normal Human Hearing is from 20 Hz to 20 kHz, the theory behind recording at higher Sample Rates is that it would be able to capture more distortion harmonics, which is basically what gives a music instrument its rich and full Sound feel. At 44.1 kHz (CD Quality) Sampling you are basically doubling up on the frequencies a Human can hear, triple at 96 and so on...
All of those Harmonics that they are trying to capture might in fact be there, but no one can REALLY tell... Unless you have super Human Hearing.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:19 PM   #57
aceyx

I can dig on that as far as audio goes. For the most part (as far as movies go) I only care about hearing where the chopper is flying and if the bullet is whizzing past my right or left ear. Dialogue as well but any 2.x system can handle that.

I think you're right that Dolby is hand-in-hand with SPE, as well as with the other 5 majors but Dolby is the real winner since SPE is paying licensing fees (though there may be an agreement for BD).

I do however have to respectfully disagree on video quality, but that's really only the case with newer movies.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:13 PM   #58
elchicano

I made the mistake of buying a used 360 from ebay. It worked for a couple of days and then i got "the ring of death". Contacted the seller and he said that it was a 360 i should expect it to get that. The time had expired so i couldn't leave him a negative comment. I loved playing on the 360 so i went and bought a new one instead. Oh well lessoned learned.

We got a surround sound for xmas and it works great, i haven't tried a blue ray DVD or whatever you call it so I'm going to try it out. It sounds good with regular DVD's so i expect it to sound way better with a Blue ray.

318ti.org on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/318tiorg/127481623988696
elchicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:22 PM   #59
yoda

Vehicles

Quote:
I can dig on that as far as audio goes. For the most part (as far as movies go) I only care about hearing where the chopper is flying and if the bullet is whizzing past my right or left ear. Dialogue as well but any 2.x system can handle that.

I think you're right that Dolby is hand-in-hand with SPE, as well as with the other 5 majors but Dolby is the real winner since SPE is paying licensing fees (though there may be an agreement for BD).

I do however have to respectfully disagree on video quality, but that's really only the case with newer movies.
I mentioned previously that Video would only be better on newer Films that were Filmed on HD... But then again I'm a Sound Guy... I'm not really keen on seeing all the blemishes and wrinkles on actors so 480p is good enough for me
Old 01-06-2009, 10:25 PM   #60
yoda

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchicano318ti View Post
I made the mistake of buying a used 360 from ebay. It worked for a couple of days and then i got "the ring of death". Contacted the seller and he said that it was a 360 i should expect it to get that. The time had expired so i couldn't leave him a negative comment. I loved playing on the 360 so i went and bought a new one instead. Oh well lessoned learned.

We got a surround sound for xmas and it works great, i haven't tried a blue ray DVD or whatever you call it so I'm going to try it out. It sounds good with regular DVD's so i expect it to sound way better with a Blue ray.
the 360 only plays DVD's, for Blu-Ray you need a PS3 or a Blu-Ray player, plus the HDTV with 1080p capability (HDMI) to get the Full on Assault on your eyes