318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Anything other than automotive related.

» Recent Threads
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by Jclare318ti
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
0 Replies, 492 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-19-2007, 06:09 PM   #46
oakley

soooooo any one on here actually got a ps3 yet? got a friend heading over to the states next month so gonna get him to pick me up some games as there ALOT cheaper over there...if u have got one let me know wots good and deff worth buying... Cheers
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 06:28 PM   #47
jkilla71

Location: Ft Lauderdale, Fl moving to Eastern PA in May of 2007

To everyone planning on buying a XBOX 360, good luck. I bought my 360 4 months ago, since then I have had 4 replacements due to 4 different issues. I should receive the fifth replacement back in another week.

I owned my black Xbox for years without a problem, so I am not a MS basher.

I have a friend that got his 360 the same time I did and he has no problems.

The only good thing due to the recurring problems is that Xbox extended the base warranty from 3 month to a 1 year.

One more thing, Xbox customer service is inept and rude.

But

The games are awesome.

Good Luck
Old 01-19-2007, 08:39 PM   #48
mohaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
soooooo any one on here actually got a ps3 yet? got a friend heading over to the states next month so gonna get him to pick me up some games as there ALOT cheaper over there...if u have got one let me know wots good and deff worth buying... Cheers

DON'T!!! Even though the PS3 games are region free they still difer from the US versions in that the European versions use PAL and the US versions use NTSC. There are also differences in that the blueray regions between the US and Europe are different. So you cannot buy blueray movie discs in the US and have them work on a blueray player purchased in Europe.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/697/697656p1.html- "The one caveat of this new region-free structure is that games made for specific regions' electrical and TV standards may have problems on your TV set. A PAL PS3 game, for instance, will have difficulty running on an NTSC TV, unless the developers have thought ahead and planned for that issue. It is currently unknown how the PS3 will cope with this problem (whether there will be a warning when you run an import about possible TV incompatibility, or if there might be a no-play screen for incompatible games depending on your PS3's TV settings.)"

So it may work, but make sure that you TV and PS3 can play an NTSC game before you spend your money on them. I know this issue was not a big deal on the original XBOX if you chipped it. You could then run a program that would switch between PAL/NTSC formats and you could play any games. I've not read enough about the PS3 to know how well NTSC games on PAL systems are working. It has also been reported that there could be online differences in games created for a different market.

Quote:
To everyone planning on buying a XBOX 360, good luck. I bought my 360 4 months ago, since then I have had 4 replacements due to 4 different issues. I should receive the fifth replacement back in another week.
Do you have it crammed into a entertainment center where it cannot get any airflow and is not vented properly? Every 360 I've heard of failing was sandwhiched between other electronics and not allowed to vent which causes them to overheat... I've modded 3 xbox360's so far and they are all running fine. In every case I told the owner to leave the 360 freestanding next to their entertainment center with enough room on each side for it to move air well enough to cool the CPU and GPU.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:22 PM   #49
oakley

hummmmmm cool cheers for that mate save me wasting my hard earned cash!! Does pal \ ntsc still apply with hd and hdmi links than? Sorry i have even less technical knowledge with things like than i do mechanical knowledge!!
Old 01-20-2007, 01:42 AM   #50
jkilla71

Location: Ft Lauderdale, Fl moving to Eastern PA in May of 2007

You are right the Xbox 360 has an overheating problem and I have purchased the intercooler. I have taken every precaution when using it but I believe the quality of the components is the real issue
Old 01-20-2007, 03:00 AM   #51
mohaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
hummmmmm cool cheers for that mate save me wasting my hard earned cash!! Does pal \ ntsc still apply with hd and hdmi links than? Sorry i have even less technical knowledge with things like than i do mechanical knowledge!!
I'm not really sure... I don't know to much about Pal tv's and what they will play. You can get a tv is the states that will decode Pal and NTSC. You may very well be able to do it, just check out your hardware(tv) first. I'm sure if you go to any of the larger PS3 online communities you can find the answer pretty easily. Or find games that will work for sure. Not all of the games on the xbox360 are region free, but I've been able to find guides that tell you which games are region free, and which ones are not.

Quote:
You are right the Xbox 360 has an overheating problem and I have purchased the intercooler. I have taken every precaution when using it but I believe the quality of the components is the real issue
By just looking at the interior of the xbox360 I would say that the engineering and build quality if much better than that of the original xbox. Now they could be using cheaper parts, but it has a very simple and almost elegant design after you get the case off.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:38 PM   #52
SDKmann

Both my brother and my friend have the PS3. My brother uses his on a 20 in. non HD Tv and the PS3 doesnt look any better then the PS2 but he only has a couple of the first games avalible so that might be one reason for that. My friend on the other hand is ridiculously spoiled. He just got a 52in high def sony Tv and it looks amazing! We watched Crank on Blue Ray and it was unreal. There is nothing that can compare with the picture from that combination. You can also store music, pictures, and video from the internet on the PS3 so that was pretty cool. My friend, proveing how spoiled he is, also has the Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii. The 360 is pretty good but its not even close to the quality of the PS3. If you have a high def TV then the PS3 is the only way to go, and considering that they are selling 2k worth of equipment for $600 I think its a pretty good deal.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:12 AM   #53
oakley

humm i wouldny say im spoiled at my age!! but i love gadgets an i have a pretty big hd tv so i'll get the full effect..iv got my sky hd going to an i love the quality..We still aint got a full price yet in the uk but i think were gonna be looking at the region of £500..everythink is sooo expensive over here it sucks!! Looking forward to it especially with the connection between the psp as well..never been a fan of the xbox so i aint bothered with that one..
Old 01-25-2007, 01:31 AM   #54
ipswich318ti

i have the chance to get one for my birthday from my gf
her cousing works at a computer store that will stock them

still not sure yet tho as i dont really want her spending that much on me

my mate has a 360 tho and i got to say it is blooooody smart the graphics are superb

MESSAGE ME FOR MORE INFORMATION
ipswich318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:19 AM   #55
SDKmann

The Xbox does have some awesome graphics but it doesnt even come close to the PS3 on HD. And Im sure your not spoiled. My friend on the other hand is. He has the three latest game systems plus a $5k TV (which cost more then my car) along with about a million other expensive electronic goodies and his $11k 04 Sentra SE-R. Hes 16.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:24 AM   #56
ipswich318ti

wow lucky guy

i have a nice 42" hd lcd tv ready to play what system i get i just dont know
cant u run the xbox 360 on hd too or is it still not as good

MESSAGE ME FOR MORE INFORMATION
ipswich318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 01:22 PM   #57
oakley

Well theres no hdmi on a xbox 360...