318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Interior and ICE

Notices

Interior and ICE For all interior and In Car Entertainment discussion.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 974,591 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-05-2009, 06:38 AM   #1
buzzbomb

Default Need help in installing vader seats

Need help on installing Vader seats.

Since the ti seats and Vader seats have different wire connectors, what is the easiest way to resolve this issue during installation? Can I just swap the Vader cushions and trim into my old seat frame therefore I wouldn't have to mess with any wires or connectors? Or do I have to swap electrical parts, seat belt receptacles, tensioners, and air bag sensors from my old seats and install them into the Vader seat frames?

After reading prior posts in the forum, I am still confused on what is the best course of action?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated for a newbie.

Thanks.
buzzbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:38 AM   #2
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

It's probably too late, but I'll start by saying disconnect BOTH positive and negative terminals from the battery prior to disconnecting any of the wires for the SRS system. Failure to do this will result in an SRS light that will require a special tool to reset and extinguish the light. Only after all plugs are reconnected should you reconnect the battery terminals.

There's two types of SRS locking mechanisms. One is pyrotechnically actuated(newer style) and the other is mechanically actuated(older style). The pyrotechnic latch has a cartridge and the mechanical has a cable. If the wires don't match, you'll need to swap the seat belt receptacles between the seats. There's only one bolt holding the receptacle onto the side of the seat, be careful pulling the wire from under the plastic seat pan as not to rip the connector off or damage the wire. Once the receptacle is removed from the seat, you'll need to swap it with the one from your old seat. It's very important that you carefully route the wire exactly the same way it was prior to removing it. This can be rather difficult, but have patience. The wires should be neatly tucked between the plastic seat bottom and foam. This keeps it from chaffing and/or becoming frayed. Once the receptacles are swapped and bolted onto the new seats, position the seats in the car, connect the plugs and bolt down the seats. Becarefull not to rip the wires out by moving the seats around after the plugs are connected. If done properly, you should be able to reconnect the battery and not see an SRS light on your cluster.

Also note, the front seat belt receptacles are armed with an Automatic Locking Tensioner. This device retracts the recepticle about 2 inches in the event of an accident. 318ti's built up to 03/97 use a mechanical auto-locking mechanism(part#'s 72118167711 left and 72118167712 right) while models built after 03/97 use a pyrotechnic auto-locking mechanism (part#'s 72118221013 left and 72118221014 right).

Last edited by cooljess76; 07-11-2011 at 01:35 AM.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:07 PM   #3
ti3

Maybe I am just stupid or I completely missed the light, but I disconnected it with the batt still attatched from my ti and then just put in my Vaders without connecting any wires or anything... but I don't think any of my lights are on indicating a problem... is this bad? I'm pretty sure the light lights up when I start the car, but doesn't stay on to indicate any problem... if I was in an accident would my airbag not deploy or something? any help would be great, thanks, otherwise I am gonna leave it all disconnected because there are no problems so far. By the ay its a '95 base ti
ti3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:59 PM   #4
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

I'd say theres probably a problem with your SRS. Especially if you didn't connect the wires. The the single wire on the driver's seat activates the seat belt locking mechanism. The passenger seat has the same wire as well as a wire for the weight sensor that triggers the passenger airbag if it senses an occupant. I'd definitely get it checked out.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote