318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,497 Views
Brakes - soft pedal and...
04-14-2024 01:02 PM
Last post by bcp
04-14-2024 01:09 PM
1 Replies, 2,387 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 04-10-2007, 12:42 AM   #16
robcarync

heh i am WAYYY excited!!!!

anyway, here is a bit about my interview and day down there...

the visitors center is NIIICE (see pics) they had a ton of cool cars on display (james bond z3, urkel car, e30 m3s, etc)

i could hang out in there forever!!!

anyway, there were about 50 other co opers there, not all engineers, some business/international finance/other random majors...and each person had slots for 3 interviews and a plant tour...though not everyone was requested for 3 interviews...many people only got 1 or 2, so i was lucky to have been picked by 3 different divisions inside BMW.

job 1) mostly desk work (90% desk work)...mostly keeping track of parts lists and making sure the parts needed for custom orders are in stock and such. mostly just orginizational work with not much engineering....3rd ranked choice

job 2) the cool one that i got. testing cars in the analysis center. has cool stuff like test driving cars and other tests of the car. 75% floor testing and 25% desk work. 1st choice

job 3) working with the design and manufacturing of the underbody and making sure all parts are within spec and they fit in the cars properly. the supervisor seemed really cool and he mentioned he liked to give co ops freedom by giving us a problem/situation, explain the desired outcome, and let us figure out how to get there...meaning it was up to us to determine the appropiate amount of desk work/floor work in the plant. 2nd ranked choice

the interviews all went well, and the co ops got to rank their choices of preferred positions, and the individual divisions went through and debated it out to find out who went where.

then i went on to the plant tour...

and HOLY CRAP the actual plant is AMAZING! its incredible how those robots do things....manufacturing process is about 98% automated and its crazy seeing the car bodies cruise down the assembly line, big robot arms flipping it on the side, with welders coming in, sparks flying, and the car body sat back down and moves along in all about 3 seconds...>INSANE typical output is about 290 cars per day...

we also walked by an area with big glass walls....privacy glass so you cant see on the inside....with the newest production models being tested that havent been released yet...i was talking to the current co ops who were guiding the tour, and they told me they were really aweosme, but i couldnt see them unless i got a job here...so thank god that i got the job so my curiosity wont kill me!

we also walked through the analysis center where ill be working and got to see the bays/lifts for working on all the cars, and the room with the cylinders that beat up the suspension and an acoustics testing room and other cool stuff....

anyway, this plant is really just indescribable unless youve seen it....its incredible really....SOOOOOO COOOOOOOLLL!!!
Pioneer Speakers [] Aluminum Billet door locks [] ACS Pedals/Deadrest [] ACS Shift Knob / E-Brake Handle [] Clear Corners/Tails/Sides [] Sylvania Exterior Lighting [] Custom CAI [] Dinan Engine Chip [] Dinan Transmission Chip [] H&R Race Springs [] Tokico Illumina Shocks [] BMW X-Brace [] Relocated Lighter Mod [] Custom iPod Mod
http://www.cardomain.com/id/robcarync
robcarync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 01:16 AM   #17
pgh95ti

Excellent. Does it get any better?
Old 04-10-2007, 01:23 AM   #18
brucetodd

Congrats man. That is so amazing. Good Luck and keep us informed.
brucetodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:15 AM   #19
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcarync View Post
yo yo yo whats up guys! as i told everyone, i had an interview with BMW mfg in spartanburg/greenville/greer SC....i had my on campus interview, my on site interview/plant tour, and now i just got the call.....I GOT THE CO OP i wanted!
Great! My wife started her job in Greenville and I'll be heading down once we sell the house in Maryland. We'll knock down some beers when I get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996Bmw318TI View Post
So how much does this pay
That's rude!
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:53 AM   #20
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996 328ti View Post
That's rude!
Its no more rude when you ask someone how much they bought their car for.

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:24 AM   #21
bmw318tiChic

congrats... that is like THE dream job... have fun
bmw318tiChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:45 AM   #22
robcarync

dream job exactly....i was like....seriously guys just invite me down for the summer....ill stick around without being paid....

but if i were to get paid 14.50 an hour.....id surely love it!!!

ya know, i dont usually even drink, but this definently calls for a few beers!

i start may 21st!
Pioneer Speakers [] Aluminum Billet door locks [] ACS Pedals/Deadrest [] ACS Shift Knob / E-Brake Handle [] Clear Corners/Tails/Sides [] Sylvania Exterior Lighting [] Custom CAI [] Dinan Engine Chip [] Dinan Transmission Chip [] H&R Race Springs [] Tokico Illumina Shocks [] BMW X-Brace [] Relocated Lighter Mod [] Custom iPod Mod
Old 04-10-2007, 07:21 AM   #23
aceyx

That red car (not the isetta) is the Z1.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:10 PM   #24
96cali

NO WAY! You are instantly in the big leagues my friend- I'm all fehklempt...sif snif... make us proud!

BTW what's up with the stuffed bear? Did they make you leave your balls at the desk along with your camera phone?

96cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:18 PM   #25
TiPerformance

Congrats on the co-op, I strongly believe that auto manufacturers need some young blood.

If you could let them know that North America is ready for the 1 series which would be a good competitor for the VW Rabbit and get younger drivers into the BMW world, thus developing brand loyalty earlier.
TiPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:52 PM   #26
robcarync

lol the stuffed bear is cool as hell....and girls always think they are cute as they are hopping into my bed

and ill let everyone know about the 1 series...thatd be nice to get over here
Old 04-10-2007, 10:12 PM   #27
H3_2.1-ti

Excellent news! Maybe you'll get a full time position if you like it there.

Engine: 2.1L Hartge conversion (bored to 86X91mm, ported & polished head, new valves, new crank, & upgraded ECU), Supersprint SS headers, Hartge exhaust, custom cat bypass (track), KV85 wires, Bosch platinum plugs, Vitesse cf spark plug cover, Vitesse cf CAI, Samco hoses, Fiamm air horns. Drivetrain: custom ssk, Vitesse adj. clutch stop, Redline D4 ATF & 75W90. Chassis: 18x8.5 Hartge Classics on 225/40/ZR18 Direzza DZ101s, 17x8 Hartge 7 spokes on 235/40/17 Direzza Z1 *specs and 17x9 Enkei MT1-R on 235/40/17 Direzza Z1 *specs(track), Vitesse 10mm spacers with cf/billet hub extenders, Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, Hartge sway bars & strut brace, urethane offset LCABs, Vitesse rsb, billet/urethane RSMs, X-brace, ATE BBK, ATE slotted rr. rotors, Goodridge ss. lines, ATE Superblue. Exterior: Violettschwarz, Hartge lip spoiler, window spoiler, hatch spoiler & mirrors, Vitesse cf door pillars, Vitesse cf fog light blanks (track), ZKW ellipsoids, HIDs in headlights, highbeams and foglights, and much more... Performance BMW Magazine feature car March 2003 www.vitessetuning.com
H3_2.1-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:23 PM   #28
Mallard

Vehicles

a true hero!! WELL DONE!

now build us the ultimate m3!!!!!

Vin Number decode and Retrofit Pdfs Available Free ! Just PM
Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:04 AM   #29
Mothman

Vehicles

Awesome, Great Job, and Good Luck!

Mothman

[SIGPIC]
Mothman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 03:46 AM   #30
96cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallard View Post
a true hero!! WELL DONE!

now build us the ultimate m3!!!!!
And ask if you can park your Ti on the showroom floor for a day, right next to the Z1.

96cali is offline   Reply With Quote