04-14-2024 01:02 PM
Last post by bcp
04-14-2024 01:09 PM
1 Replies, 2,308 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 07-24-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
Exton_Dubs

Default WTB/WTT: The Complete List

Other than the interior that I have posted in another thread, here is the big list of everything else I am looking for to make my 318ti whole again...

OEM headlights and corner lights
Jet Black Hood
Hood struts
OEM shift knob
Rear hatch struts
Rear "oh sh*t handle"
D.S. Window regulator
Rear Antenna assembly with good gasket
front rotors with ABS sensors
felt window guide for lower rail

I will start up a FS/FT thread later if there is anything I have that you may want or need.

Wanted to Buy
For Sale/Trade #1
For Sale/Trade #2
Exton_Dubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:03 AM   #2
macilona

Vehicles

sent you a pm. mac
macilona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:06 AM   #3
Platanos

I have some of these things (new rotors and lights) also, might be possible to meet in Mechanicburgs... Pm me if interested

Last edited by Platanos; 07-25-2011 at 02:23 AM. Reason: jock itch
Platanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:16 AM   #4
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Here's some tips:

OEM headlights and corner lights - headlights are universal fit between all e36 coupes, sedans, verts and compacts. Corner lights are shared between the sedan and compact, while coupes and verts share corners. Reason being, the fender cutouts are different between coupes and sedans. Coupes and verts have longer engine compartments making the fenders and hoods longer. Since the compact shares the same fenders as the sedan, the corner light cutouts are the same as the sedan.

Jet Black Hood - E36 compacts share the same hood as the e36 sedan. Coupe and vert hoods are longer and won't fit.

Hood struts - part#51231960852 get new ones! pelicanparts.com sells them for 11.75ea or if you order a bunch of stuff from getbmwparts.com, ask them if they'll match pelican's price.

OEM shift knob - chances are if you find a used one, it's probably "well used" or broken. The plastic internal clips break and the knob spins freely. getbmwparts.com (Tischer) always has OEM weighted ZHP knobs on sale for 65 shipped. They're much nicer than the factory knob: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

You might also want to look into the OEM Z3/Mcoupe shifter kit, it feels much tighter and reduces throw by 25-30% and I think it costs under a hundred bucks

Rear hatch struts - Cheap Hatch Strut Alternative

Rear "oh sh*t handle" - They're only $9.52 new @ getbmwparts.com. Get the part number here, item#5 in the diagram, make sure you order the right color/side: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...78&hg=51&fg=40 Sandgrau=tan, Schwarz=black

D.S. Window regulator - Does your regulator go up and down or is it completely dead? did you try swapping driver/passenger window switches? If you could hear the regulator moving, a new regulator is not going to fix the problem. Windows coming off track is a common problem with these cars. Here's a writeup that will help you fix this problem once and for all: http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20666

Rear Antenna assembly with good gasket - If you just need the antenna itself, you could get a new one part#65218362368 for 16 bucks at getbmwparts or get a stubby one on ebay for a few bucks. The rubber grommet is part#65218362369 and only costs $2.03 for a new one @ getbmwparts. If you need the antenna base(amplifier) and cable, try to source one used from someone on this site. You probably still need to order a new rubber grommet though, they're usually dry and cracked.

front rotors with ABS sensors - NEVER BUY USED ROTORS! Bimmerworld.com is having a blowout on OEM 318ti front rotors. Brand new for $20 bucks each! http://store.bimmerworld.com/blowout...ors-p1076.aspx
FWIW, you should always replace pads when you replace rotors. Your old pads have deposits which will contaminate the new rotors and cause them to squeak. Hawk makes good pads, PBR Ultimates are also good.

The front ABS sensors almost never come out in one piece. They get seized up in the spindles and fall apart when you try to remove them. Since your car is a '95, it doesn't have ASC (Automatic Stability Control), so the ABS sensor you need is part# 34521163027. Getbmwparts.com sells Genuine BMW sensors for $106.86 each. Pelicanparts.com sells ATE brand sensors for $55.50ea. You may be able to talk getbmwparts into giving you a discount on the Genuine parts, but I'm sure they won't come all the way down to pelican's price. FWIW, most of our brake system components are made by ATE.

felt window guide for lower rail - Part# 51321960413 $6.20 new @ getbmwparts.com. You'll want to glue this piece inside of the metal track with something like "shoegoo" so it doesn't slide out. Look in the bottom of the door, the old one might be laying in there.

Usually if something costs less than 20 bucks new, I don't bother buying it used. Especially plastic, rubber or otherwise common wear items.

You can find ALL of your part numbers on realoem.com. I HIGHLY suggest typing in the last 7 digits of your VIN# on realoem and then create a shorcut to your desktop. It'll come in extremely handy in the future. You can also do part# cross-references to find out what other cars share compatible parts.

As a general rule, the e36 compact shares the same front end from the "A" pillars forward as the e36 sedan. However, there were some facelifts over the years regarding the nose panel and fenders. In these cases, realoem always lists all of the part numbers with build date annotations "from" and "up to".

Also FWIW, getbmwparts has great service and answers emails FAST. Sometimes within the hour during normal business hours. However, to avoid typing a looooong email regarding this list of parts, you'll get best results by calling and speaking to a rep on the phone. The guys there are really cool and knowledgeable. They're very friendly to the ti community

Hope that helps!

Last edited by cooljess76; 07-25-2011 at 04:09 AM. Reason: cameltoe
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:49 AM   #5
cooljess76

You should have posted this in the WTB section, not the For Sale section. Hopefully Steven or one of the mods doesn't delete it, because I spent over an hour looking up part#'s, prices, threads and typing that post
Old 07-25-2011, 02:54 AM   #6
Platanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
You should have posted this in the WTB section, not the For Sale section. Hopefully Steven or one of the mods doesn't delete it, because I spent over an hour looking up part#'s, prices, threads and typing that post

Dedication and persistence. You Jess are a gentleman and a scholar.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:02 AM   #7
cooljess76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platanos View Post
Dedication and persistence. You Jess are a gentleman and a scholar.
with no life
Old 07-25-2011, 03:08 AM   #8
Platanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76

with no life
Lol, I'm right there with you bro, you just like helping others more than I do...lol
Old 07-25-2011, 03:41 AM   #9
1996 328ti

Vehicles

This is what sets this forum apart from everywhere else.
Thanks!
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:51 AM   #10
Exton_Dubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996 328ti View Post
This is what sets this forum apart from everywhere else.
Thanks!
90% asshats + 8% douchecanoe's+ 2% decent people=VW Vortex

Wanted to Buy
For Sale/Trade #1
For Sale/Trade #2
Exton_Dubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:10 PM   #11
THAT318

i have headlights and cornerners off a sedan if you need them still. pm me we can work something out.
THAT318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:45 PM   #12
E36 G

hi Exton Dubs,
I'm new to the forum, but thought that I would add that I have sucessfully used black RTV and super glue to fix my antenna assembly.

Instead of buying a rubber grommet and the entire assembly under the fender for around ~$150, I super glued my snapped, plastic antenna mast's shaft together (this is the part under the fender).
I used RTV and smoothed over the top of the exterior stub in 4 or 5 layers, except for the threaded hole.
My antenna is restored, weather sealed, and looks as good as stock for the price of nothing because I've got both RTV and super glue lying around.

just thought I'd try to help ya save a buck on one thing on your list

FYI: WTB rear shocks for my 318ti.
E36 G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:47 PM   #13
cooljess76

I'm all for saving a buck, but $2.03 for a brand new BMW Genuine Part isn't gonna break the bank. Especially if you're already placing an order for other stuff anyway. Whenever I order parts, I have a grocery list of stuff that I've gathered from either stuff wearing out and breaking or just walking around the car looking for things that could/should be relaced. Once the list gets long enough to justify shipping, I call it in. Pelicanparts used to have ridiculous shipping fees, but free shipping on orders over 75 bucks. However, some of their parts didn't qualify for free shipping, so it was rare that I could cash in on that. I talked to them on the phone about it and the lady said they were working on a better system, but I haven't ordered anything from them in a while. Everytime I call getbmwparts, they almost always give me some sort of break on parts to compensate some of the shipping charges. I don't always ask since they've helped me out so much and I don't want to be a burden or put them through any hassles. A lot of my orders are just nickel and dime parts. I realize it takes an employee's time and effort to gather and box a bunch of nuts, bolts and gaskets etc, so I'm not going to cry over 5 bucks when they're only making a few bucks off of my order.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:03 PM   #14
E36 G

sorry, I shoulda been more clear. The part that I saved is the $150 one and the $2.03 one.
But yes, that's good to know that getbmwparts is good to you.
Cheers.
E36 G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:45 PM   #15
cooljess76

Oh yeah for sure. I agree that the antenna base is ridiculously expensive. There's no way I'd spend that much for a new one. Props for fixing the old one, I probably would've done the same thing or tried to source a used one from a part-out or junkyard.

I think the OP bought his car from a crackhead though. It sounds like he liked to work on his car when he was tweakin and rather than "fixing" things, he destroyed them, lol. He probably tossed the antenna base when he installed his headunit because he didn't know what it was for.