318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Brakes

Notices

Brakes From what pads to use to brake upgrades.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 990,355 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 07-16-2002, 05:49 PM   #1
Bruce

My wife and I have separate track vehicles, the 318ti sport is my wife's daily driver. We need new rotors and pads for the 318. The pads on it (came with car when we got it) dust terribly, stop ok, but are dirty (can't tell anymore what they are, probably OEM).

We'd like to get Zimmermann rotors (hard and wear well) but understand they are made only for rears and we'd like same brand front and rear. Brembo rotors are supposedly soft. I know ATE fluid but rotors are new to me? Other brands??

Would like excellent stopping power from pads. They don't have to stand up to track conditions but the wife is used to Hawk competition pads on her track car. Performance Friction, etc. any advice is welcomed. Will tolerate a bit of noise for stopping power and clean.

TIA
Bruce
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 05:07 AM   #2
1996 328ti

Vehicles

I'm a firm believer in stock vented rotors from a 325/328. I think April of 98 the ti had front vented rotors.

I have not heard good things about Zimmerman. I have heard good things about Balo though. Although I would go with BMW OE rotors because I think they are balanced as opposed to OEM.

My track pads are CarboTech Panther Plus.
For the street are the CarboTech Street Compound. Only because I want my rotors to last.
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 12:58 PM   #3
ayton

about the only thing I have heard bad about Zimmermans is that the hats rust...hit them with some hi temp spray paint before installation and they are fine if you plan to go that route.
ayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 07:23 PM   #4
bmwracefan

I bought front and rear KVR x-drilled rotors from Pure Performance. http://www.pureperf.com/brakes/index.html .
They offer x-drilled or slotted rotors for the ti and can cadmium treat them if you want. I have been very pleased with them. The cadmium coating looks great. I am running them with EBC Redstuff pads for driver schools. Tell them that Dave Lehmann sent you. I owe them a favor.

------------------
Dave
bmwracefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 07:31 PM   #5
jdehaan

I just recently put on ATE power discs in the front and stock ATE in the rear. As for pads, I put on Hawk HP plus pads. The change in the power of my brakes is impressive. They feel like I put a big brake up grade in. I would definately recommend them to anyone.
jdehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 10:26 PM   #6
J!m

Vehicles

Porterfield R4S pads have an amazingly low dust output, are quite easy on the rotors and stop nearly as good as a full race pad (except you don't have to get them quite so hot) BUT- you do have to get them warmed up. Panic stops can be a bit scary at first, maybe one revolution of the rotor, then HANG ON as your fillings come loose and you detach your retinas... I have scared the living crap out of riders as well as people who like to tail-gate.

I have Michelin 245's all around now, and on dry road in a straight stop I can get the anti-lock pump to go crazy. If you need more than that on the road, you are driving WAY TOO FAST and should have a three point harness, crash helmet, roll cage and a good lawyer on hand...

How do your wheels look after two weeks of driving with stock pads? That's how dirty they will be after four weeks or more of driving with the porterfields. I am very pleased with them.

They also wear well, and have not squealed once- but I do use and suggest others use Disc Brake Quiet per the bottle instructions. I have stock M3 rotors and calipers with Motul RBF fluid and Teflon/stainless lines.

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 09:14 AM   #7
fourbanger

so jim... where would one go about acquiring these porterfield pads?