318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Interior and ICE

Notices

Interior and ICE For all interior and In Car Entertainment discussion.

» Recent Threads
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,571 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 10-07-2008, 09:07 PM   #1
TI-driftin

Default HEADLINER GLUE REMOVAL?

Any advice on removing the glue and old material from the headliner board? I know i tried this one other time on the little plastic piece that has the sunroof switch in it and it was a pain. I assume the headliner board is going to be more difficult because im guessing it cant get wet.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:28 AM   #2
autoxerwgn

Its been a while since I have helped with a headliner but I used to hang around an upholstery shop. The guy used a wire wheel on a air powered drill to get the material off the headliner backing. I would think that a wire wheel on a electric drill should be more than enough to clean everything off.
11 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
94 Mazda Miata R
autoxerwgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:58 PM   #3
sam316i

Hi i re covered my head liner with black felt type material and i think the actual head liner looks like its made of fiber glass? mine was only falling down slightly so i peeled back the droopy bits and glued them back an just applied the spray glue straight onto the exsisting material. i was a bit worryed it would fall down after a wile but its now been four months and its holding up very well. i have one or two pics if you would like them?
sam316i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:29 PM   #4
TI-driftin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam316i View Post
Hi i re covered my head liner with black felt type material and i think the actual head liner looks like its made of fiber glass? mine was only falling down slightly so i peeled back the droopy bits and glued them back an just applied the spray glue straight onto the exsisting material. i was a bit worryed it would fall down after a wile but its now been four months and its holding up very well. i have one or two pics if you would like them?
What spray glue did you use?
Old 10-16-2008, 05:16 AM   #5
jordanmc

after i removed the saggy cloth, I took a hose and a soft cloth to it.
The stuff just came right off.
Instead of paying an arm and a leg for new cloth (that will probably just sag again) I used some black trunk splatter spray paint
It looks great.
jordanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:29 AM   #6
Will'sBimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam316i View Post

I am interested in pics.
custom dual exhaust,M3 front and rear bumper, 10.4 inch roof mount drop screen, Viper alarm system, DSII's rims, M3 Vader Seats, M3 Mirrors, Carbon Fiber CAI, Smoked Corners, Side Markers, Leatherz armrests, black grilles

225k miles and still the Ti goes on
Will'sBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:48 AM   #7
sam316i

Looks like an upside down road. il get pics of mine tonight when im home from work.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:26 PM   #8
sam316i

some pics of mine...

comments welcome please.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:38 PM   #9
TI-driftin

that looks like my stock headliner.

Oh The spray liner thingy... I dont think its for me. I like a more refined look. Very original though! props there.

I should have mine up this weekend as long as every thing goes smooth. Gonna glue it on tonight. I only got saturday to put it in so we'll see if it gets done. Im doing a light gray and black theme in my car so im curious to see how it turns out. I'll post pics when i get it all done. I got the gray shift boots which i was told was an oem match to the gray interior. Not sure since i have no gray in my interior though.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:00 PM   #10
Will'sBimmer

I like that alot Sam. I need to really do mine badly. Where did you get your material from? And the glue? Also did you take out your headliner piece out and then glue or left in the car and then did it???

ps. YAY my 700th post
custom dual exhaust,M3 front and rear bumper, 10.4 inch roof mount drop screen, Viper alarm system, DSII's rims, M3 Vader Seats, M3 Mirrors, Carbon Fiber CAI, Smoked Corners, Side Markers, Leatherz armrests, black grilles

Old 10-17-2008, 12:45 PM   #11
sam316i

Hi i wish i had 700 posts lol.
Yes i took my headliner out, just remove all the pillars and handles etc and remove it through the boot. Be carefull not no bend it too much though.
I brought my material and glue from my local remnant shop the glue was £5 and 2 square meters of material came out at £20, so was very cheap.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:06 PM   #12
Will'sBimmer

cool. I hope to be getting around to doing mine soon but right now I am stuck trying to fix the radiator support, oxygen sensors need to be replaced, valve and profile gaskets, and then I guess headlights as well. Man I need some money. lol. Any donations?

Old 10-20-2008, 10:01 PM   #13
TI-driftin

Pics coming soon!
I just finished my interior last weekend. I like the gray vinyl with the black interior. I got some pics of taking the sun roof out too. I thought it was going to be alot harder. It was a piece of cake. Hard part was trying to balance it by myself without scraping anything in my car. Sucker's kinda heavy. If you want to lighten up your car i would not recommend haveing a sunroof.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:53 PM   #14
TI-driftin

Default PICS

Here are some quick pics i took with my phone. Sorry there not that great.
some with the sunroof out and with the headliner in and with my panels that i painted gray.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	SSPX0457.jpg Views:	505 Size:	71.0 KB ID:	6956   Click image for larger version Name:	SSPX0455.jpg Views:	515 Size:	63.7 KB ID:	6957   Click image for larger version Name:	SSPX0458.jpg Views:	555 Size:	29.9 KB ID:	6958  

Click image for larger version Name:	SSPX0459.jpg Views:	495 Size:	45.0 KB ID:	6959   Click image for larger version Name:	SSPX0460.jpg Views:	480 Size:	55.6 KB ID:	6960  
Old 10-23-2008, 02:23 AM   #15
tiFreak

Vehicles

cool, any more pics of the interior? find some gray millpoint seats and doorcards, that would look awesome
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote