318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Interior and ICE

Notices

Interior and ICE For all interior and In Car Entertainment discussion.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 103,658 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 66,679 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 63,924 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 10-19-2004, 04:29 PM   #1
L84THSKY

Default Getting in the back seats

My last car was a Scirocco, and it obviously was a 2-door too. My girlfriend's Honda Civic has a foot lever and hand lever to tilt the front seats. Hers even slides the seat forward to allow easier access to the back seats. Now, my Scirocco didn't auto slide the seats forward, but the seat backs did tilt much more than the 318ti does. My question is, why is it so hard to get in the back seats on this car. After all, it is a BMW and should have some common sense refinements? When I lift the lever, the back is very stiff and barely wants to tilt forward. I would have to manually slide the seat forward, just to give a decent access to an adult rear passenger. My son can squeeze through, but he is only 12. Any comments?

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 04:47 PM   #2
GDB

I've never had any problems with it and I'm 6'.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 05:05 PM   #3
Jared

It depends on where your seat is set to in its regular position. Try fiddling around with your driving position (or better yet, the passenger's seat). Depending on the seat position, the seat will only fold forward just a little, or will fold all the way forward almost to the steering wheel.
Jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 05:45 PM   #4
GDB

whoa, that's weird. I just went out to my car and you're right. hmmmmm.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 01:18 AM   #5
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84THSKY
My last car was a Scirocco, and it obviously was a 2-door too. My girlfriend's Honda Civic has a foot lever and hand lever to tilt the front seats. Hers even slides the seat forward to allow easier access to the back seats. Now, my Scirocco didn't auto slide the seats forward, but the seat backs did tilt much more than the 318ti does. My question is, why is it so hard to get in the back seats on this car. After all, it is a BMW and should have some common sense refinements? When I lift the lever, the back is very stiff and barely wants to tilt forward. I would have to manually slide the seat forward, just to give a decent access to an adult rear passenger. My son can squeeze through, but he is only 12. Any comments?
I'm 6 fett tall and never had a problem getting in and out of the back seat. I never had to put the seat foward to get in,just tilt the back.
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

www.myspace.com/avusblueti
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 07:24 AM   #6
aceyx

this happens all the time for me because my passengers are idiots, and despite saying "look where your shoulder would be," they go through each lever back to front before i do it for them and curse.

if the middle (up/down) adjustment is all the way up, the seat will only go forward a few inches. i think it's the same if the seat is at any of its extreme positions.
aceyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 12:49 PM   #7
ddiorio1313

Why are people so dumb when it comes to moving the seat forward to get into the back....My passnegers do the same thing they always f up my settings trying to get into the back seat! It is like like thy have never seen a lever before.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:33 PM   #8
L84THSKY

Default Could be better

I just think the design isn't what it should be for a BMW. Less expensive cars have designs that are alot easier to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddiorio1313
Why are people so dumb when it comes to moving the seat forward to get into the back....My passnegers do the same thing they always f up my settings trying to get into the back seat! It is like like thy have never seen a lever before.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
Old 10-20-2004, 06:44 PM   #9
ddiorio1313

L8: Yes, the design could be better I agree, but it is still fun to say that your passengers are complete morons!
Old 11-04-2004, 03:36 AM   #10
CMM83

I think it's much harder than it needs to be. Where my passenger seat is set right now, the back barely goes forward when I lift the lever. I almost thought it was broke or something. Poor design imo.
CMM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 12:36 PM   #11
aceyx

i disagree. having the lever on the back-rest makes much more sense than having it at the rear of the seat:

1. you don't have to bend down to reach it
2. the driver can flip the seat forward
3. easier accessibility for the back seat passenger

it's just against convention, that's all. IMO, it's an improvement.
aceyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 01:10 PM   #12
ddiorio1313

I don't think the issue was the placement of the lever ...the lever is really great were it is at...the problem that everyone else is talking about is when the lever is pulled...it just doesn't give enough room to get in...it would be cool if it would just slide up a little more...thats all...
Old 11-05-2004, 06:34 PM   #13
DCSean8

Quote:

Yea, same crap happens to me all the time, one jerk even broke the handle off on the passenger side seat, now people have to reach around and pull the lever on the otherside of the seat.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:53 PM   #14
ddiorio1313

DC: Mine broke off too! I don't know if it was because people kept bumping into it or what... So, now I either have to pull the lever on my side or like you said they have to reach around. The worst is when they start pulling all the levers at the bottom of the seat! It F's everything up. I have my drivers side just the way I want it...then same yayhoo who comes along and starts pulling all the levers like a complete moron!
Old 11-05-2004, 07:46 PM   #15
L84THSKY

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
I don't think the issue was the placement of the lever ...the lever is really great were it is at...the problem that everyone else is talking about is when the lever is pulled...it just doesn't give enough room to get in...it would be cool if it would just slide up a little more...thats all...

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd