318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Electrical

Notices

Electrical All wiring questions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 987,069 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 10-25-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
MyTi82

Default blinking abs and asc lights

hey guys,

i went out this morning to start my car this morning, turned the key n everything was looking fine then all of a sudden the dash lights went dim on me just before i turned the ignition. i then try to start the car again and dash lights all are dim. i noticed that they did get dimmer the more i tried to start the car. so i am thinking its the battery. i came home this afternoon and tried to give it a jump and it started up fine but when i cut the car off n tried to start again, it didnt turn over. i thought the alternator might be gone so i checked it by disconnecting the neg terminal from the batt while the car was running and it stayed on so i am assuming alternator is still good. i will take it up to local store to have them check the battery. i am curious about one thing though. when i was sitting in the car with the key in the on position, i noticed that the ASC and the ABS lights were blinking. has any one come across this before? when i called the dealer to check the price of a battery, i tried to explain the situation and he was saying that the blinking may be a result of there being codes on the computer and that the ASC or ABS system could have caused the battery to go dead.

any thoughts guys?
thankz
MyTi82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:59 PM   #2
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

How long did you let it run before you shut it off and tried to restart it? You need to let it run long enough to at least give the battery a partial charge(15-30min). If you pulled the negative cable off of the battery while the car was running and it continued to run fine, then at least you know that your main engine ground is good. I'd say it's probably your battery and yes, the ABS, ASC and the low battery indicator lights are known to blink when the battery is in need of a charge. It's perfectly normal. Just let the battery fully charge. Jump start it and go for a drive or something. If it doesn't hold a charge, replace the battery. Don't let the dealer con you into bringing your car in for expensive repairs.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:12 PM   #3
MyTi82

thanks Jess

yea i was a lil skeptical at what he was saying but also worried to since i did like just have the rear brakes replaced the day before. also i couldnt see why the batt would be dead as i didnt leave the lights on or nothing like that and it hasnt gotten that cold yet. i did notice the batt is 3yrs old and from BMW. i dont know how long bmw batts last. i also saw that is has some indicator function on the batt. green, blk, and gold color options in a lil indicator window. i believe mine is showing gold. i will go take the batt to autozone or something to have them charge it up n test it before i purchase a new one. i def didnt drive it around 15-30min like you suggested. i did more like around the block twice. lol.
MyTi82 is offline   Reply With Quote