318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,021,718 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 04-23-2005, 01:17 PM   #16
Phil Marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickd
How hard is it to pop off the panel at the store/dealer, two thumbscrews? That's what I did. It's always better to have the part in hand, I don't like making extra trips.
That works fine as long as you know the bulbs you have are the correct bulbs. Usually the problem is that they've already been replaced by the inccorrect bulbs and matching them up perpetuates the problem. The dealer's parts film is not always helpful in figuring out what bulb goes where.
Phil Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 02:54 PM   #17
mickd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Marx
That works fine as long as you know the bulbs you have are the correct bulbs. Usually the problem is that they've already been replaced by the inccorrect bulbs and matching them up perpetuates the problem. The dealer's parts film is not always helpful in figuring out what bulb goes where.
You do have 2 bulbs to check. To find out what bulb I propped a board on the brake pedal in the NAPA parking lot. The problem is you went to the dealer, most car parts stores could have matched the bulb that was installed by the base size and bayonet style and wattage, dual element 5/21W. You will find the wattage on any bulb regardless of brand. You could have checked RealOEM.com, it's #4 http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...85&hg=63&fg=20 I'd rather fix a problem than to make excuses.
mickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 05:33 PM   #18
itzyoubob

Default The problem is not the bulbs.

The up and center brake light worked {only} when I got the car. the rear center and the left front turn signal light went on with the brake pedal. I went to a Parts store and looked up in their book and installed the right lights. All 3 brake lights worked with and without the running/head lights on. The next day there were no brake lights at all. There seems to be no power to the brake light switch. There does seem to be power at the fusebox. I checked the fuse for the brake light, along with other brake-related fuses. I also tried to false wire to the switch to no avail. I guess I'll try a new switch, but I think the issue is elsewhere.

This was posted elsewhere in response to the left front light issue:
"NOPE....you have a bad ground! I had the same problem in my car it turned out to be the drivers side rear tail light circuit board. at times it randomly kept my whole rear end lit up while driving...it looked like I was riding my brakes. Trust me it bothered me for almost 6 months, until I figured it out."
itzyoubob is offline   Reply With Quote