318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Maintenance

Notices

Maintenance Service Interval questions, oil change info.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 995,287 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 11-02-2010, 10:53 AM   #1
Freak1

Default Sluggish at low RPM's... suggestions?

HI guys,

I was wondering if anyone can assist me i'm having problems starting the car in the morning and the performance is sluggish.....i was told it can be the camshaft sensor or timing chain but both seem to be working fine. I used a BMW 318 E46 2000 models to check it out but still no difference. from 1 000 to 3 000rpm its sluggish but after 3 500rpm the rev's picks up fairly quickly......

I checked the petrol pump and my mechanic says that the pressure in the tank is abit low....but the petrol pump seems to be working. Yesterday just before the reserve light went on the car just stopped and refused to start it would swing but not start. Once i put petrol it it started fairly easy.....

Can anyone offer assistance?
Freak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:07 AM   #2
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak1 View Post
HI guys,

I was wondering if anyone can assist me i'm having problems starting the car in the morning and the performance is sluggish.....i was told it can be the camshaft sensor or timing chain but both seem to be working fine. I used a BMW 318 E46 2000 models to check it out but still no difference. from 1 000 to 3 000rpm its sluggish but after 3 500rpm the rev's picks up fairly quickly......

I checked the petrol pump and my mechanic says that the pressure in the tank is abit low....but the petrol pump seems to be working. Yesterday just before the reserve light went on the car just stopped and refused to start it would swing but not start. Once i put petrol it it started fairly easy.....

Can anyone offer assistance?
Perhaps it needs a new fuel filter?
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
Freak1

Default Performance and starting

Will that help both the starting and sluggishness of the car.......i think the car is starved with regards to petrol....
Old 11-02-2010, 07:06 PM   #4
TroyAndEddie

If it's a fairly high mileage vehicle and a stock fuel filter, you could notice some significant blockage in the filter. So yes, that could play a role; depending again on your mileage and/or usage.

Even if it doesn't do the fix, it's still worthwhile and inexpensive to replace it.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:44 AM   #5
Freak1

I'm going to take it on the machine to have the timing set and i'm going to do a software upgrade. Also when you start the car is the EML light supposed to go on initially and then after the car idles it switches off?
Old 11-07-2010, 04:07 PM   #6
d235353

can the filter be removed and cleaned up at all?
d235353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:49 PM   #7
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Filter can not be cleaned. Also a filter that is dirty will normally show issues at higher RPM when the fuel flow is higher not at startup, idle or low RPM.

You need to look for vaccum leaks on the TB boot between the MAF sensor leading to the TB. Also remove and clean the pipe leading to the CCV valve. Most likely you will find a vaccum leak that is causing the issue so look real close on the large big hose from the MAF to the TB and you might find cracks in it that are letting unmetered air in the system and cause hard statrs and bad perfomance until you hit higher RPM. This is almost always the issue with this type of issue

Look for these issues then report back please...

Good luck, John S
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:45 AM   #8
Freak1

I took the feul filter off and cleaned it with a compressor and the dirt that cam out was allot. Getting a new feul filter in the week to apply. What i've also noticed that when i tunr the key i can just about hear the petrol pump pumping the fuel forward, thus i have to wait until the seatbelt light goes off then i know i can start the car. I think the fuel filter and fuel regulator needs to be changed by the petrol pump. Once thats done i'll do a software upgrade and also get my idling speed up to about 850 rpm as it sitting probably just above 550rpm.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:11 PM   #9
UberWagen

You need to have it hooked up to a scanner. Just because the check engine light isn't on doesn't mean you don't have a code. And you should not have blown out your fuel filter with a compressed air. Whatever dirt was sitting in front of the filter, you just embedded into it. It really sounds like a vacuum leak to me. But here's a few questions. Are you running the right octane? Is your MAF sensor dirty? Have you visually inspected that everything is connected under your hood?. If it has trouble only in cold weather you could be looking at a coolant temp sensor. There's many things that can be wrong. But just make sure to KISS-keep it simple, stupid-. Don't go rewriting the software until you've made it run right.
UberWagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:28 PM   #10
Freak1

Thanks much appreciated.....i will be changing the fuel filter later in the month and then i will be running a diagnostic on it before i do or make any drastic changes.

Hopefully the diagnostic will clear some light.
Thanks for the info.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:46 PM   #11
xxxJohnBoyxxx

If you blew air through the filter and got crap out of it do not run that filter again. You will most likely run the risk of having that crap get through the filter now and getting into the injector screens. Get a new filter and install it and go from there. You will most likely damage the car worst by driving it around in a condition like this. I say this to warn you, I know this from experience.

John Smith
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:46 PM   #12
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

I'm all for saving money, but come on. Reusing a fuel filter that was clogged with crud and probably has well over 100k miles on it? The part only costs 17 bucks at pelicanparts. I understand you're across the pond, most other places sell the fuel filter for about 30 bucks.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:36 PM   #13
d235353

Ive noticed as it gets colder here, my car is having a hard start more and more every day.. its like it shakes and splutters into life.. and if the fuel is low and the car is right side down .. it cant maintain fuel supply at all i have to hold the accelerator down and drive it to a level spot then its fine.
d235353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:09 PM   #14
Freak1

Thanks guys, wil be changing my plugs and fuel filter over the weekend. will be checking if theres any air leaks or something.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:14 AM   #15
andyburm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak1 View Post
Thanks guys, wil be changing my plugs and fuel filter over the weekend. will be checking if theres any air leaks or something.
Any updates on your issue? I recently bought a '95 318Ti showing the same symptons.

thanks
andyburm is offline   Reply With Quote