318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 997,000 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-29-2004, 09:42 PM   #1
hotdog19d

Default does any one regret lowering their car?

I just wanted to know if anyone has had any regrets? I only have sport springs and their great, but it sucks rubbing on stuff and I only have sports. I can't even imagine race springs. This something that never gets bought up...the negative aspects of modding. Any thoughts??
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5783
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5777SOLD!!!
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/we...ZmQzMXk1NDE%3D
FOR SALE!! $4000 OBO!!!!!!
96 california aqua-marine clears, H&R/Koni sports, Triflo exhaust fogged
hotdog19d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 11:49 PM   #2
2ndBimmer

I have no regrets yet, just gotta be VERY careful with speedbumps and those headstones at the end of parking spaces (my bumper clears em by under a cm).

I have no rubbing in my car.
225/50/16's Yokohama Advan S4's
Panasonic 70Wx4 CD/MP3 player + 4x Alpine 6x9's rear
2ndBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 02:42 AM   #3
JedzE36/5

Vehicles

i dont really have any regrets, but i do get annoyed by having to weave back and forth on those not so perfect roads. i have a love/hate of the rear negative camber. i like it when i autoX, but it sure does eat those dang tires up.

did you ever roll your fenders hotdog? also to help correct the rear camber (i think we talked about this before), i put in 15mm rear lower spring pads.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:51 PM   #4
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

I love the way my car handles since I lowered it. Some advice: Don't replace the springs if you aren't going to replace the shocks/struts as well.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 06:54 PM   #5
96cali

The sport springs do lower a base suspension by .5-.75". Just right in my world. I saw a ti with Eibachs+Bilsteins and could barely squeeze a finger between the tire and fender. Not sure how they actually got around (or how wide her tires were either).

Anyone know of a spring that is between the OEM sport and the 1.5" drop of HRs and Eibach?

96cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 09:10 PM   #6
hotdog19d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedzE36/5
i dont really have any regrets, but i do get annoyed by having to weave back and forth on those not so perfect roads. i have a love/hate of the rear negative camber. i like it when i autoX, but it sure does eat those dang tires up.

did you ever roll your fenders hotdog? also to help correct the rear camber (i think we talked about this before), i put in 15mm rear lower spring pads.
Sort of, I used a die grinder on the side that was rubbing. Kind of ghetto but it worked.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:09 PM   #7
JedzE36/5

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdog19d
Sort of, I used a die grinder on the side that was rubbing. Kind of ghetto but it worked.
whatever works man.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:05 PM   #8
John W

I recently bought my ti with Bilstein Sports/H&R Sport springs. Overall, it handles nicely and looks great, but I am finding there are too many compromises for me with this setup.

What I don't like: Bottoming out over speed bumps (front frame rail slams down on the bump unless taken at an angle); excessive toe-in at the rear; probably too much negative camber all around. As a result of the camber and rear toe settings, the tires are all unevenly worn e.g. they're worn completely down on the inner-most edge, while the rest of the tire is not even near the wear marker.

Also, on low speed corners, the front of the car feels underdampened. I think this is due to the springs (which I'm guessing are progressive rate--allowing the car to bounce around too much) rather than the front struts.

I'm still trying to figure out what changes I want to make. It looks like I will try the factory sport spring next. Ideally, I would also probably go with Konis if I didn't already have the Bilsteins.

I'd love to hear any suggestions about a relatively inexpensive set-up for mostly street use that sees some autocross/track school events once or twice a month. Ride height/look is not particularly important to me.
John W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 09:09 PM   #9
JedzE36/5

Vehicles

well i know that the H&R springs are linear. but i have linear springs as well and i experience that same underdampened feeling at low speed corners. ive been thinking about how to fix this too but i cant come to anything.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:51 PM   #10
hotdog19d

I got some 15mm pads to install, we'll see if it helps at all.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:35 PM   #11
Mendi3

Not at all, the handling and the look of the car is great! I have bilsteins and Bavarian Motorsports springs. The springs are just perfect. I'm running 17''s and they fill the gap between the fender and the tire nicely.

I do have the same problem as everyone else. I have to watch out for speed bumps and headstones at parking lots. Mine clears the headstones by literally millimeters....

But, it's totatlly worth it!
1995 318ti E36 Alpine White III DASC (RIP)
1996 328i 4Dr Artic Silver (RIP)
1999 M3 Estoril Blue Metallic RMS Vortech SC
2001 325i E46 Alpine White - Sports Package (SOLD)
2005 E46 M3 Coupe SMG
Mendi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 09:41 PM   #12
L84THSKY

Finally, a dissenting opinion

I think everyone who answers this thread should do so under a polygraph!
Seems no one wants to say it was a bad idea. Hey, I'm still out on my decision, but I know from previous experience, it ain't all good

Quote:
Originally Posted by John W
I recently bought my ti with Bilstein Sports/H&R Sport springs. Overall, it handles nicely and looks great, but I am finding there are too many compromises for me with this setup.

What I don't like: Bottoming out over speed bumps (front frame rail slams down on the bump unless taken at an angle); excessive toe-in at the rear; probably too much negative camber all around. As a result of the camber and rear toe settings, the tires are all unevenly worn e.g. they're worn completely down on the inner-most edge, while the rest of the tire is not even near the wear marker.

Also, on low speed corners, the front of the car feels underdampened. I think this is due to the springs (which I'm guessing are progressive rate--allowing the car to bounce around too much) rather than the front struts.

I'm still trying to figure out what changes I want to make. It looks like I will try the factory sport spring next. Ideally, I would also probably go with Konis if I didn't already have the Bilsteins.

I'd love to hear any suggestions about a relatively inexpensive set-up for mostly street use that sees some autocross/track school events once or twice a month. Ride height/look is not particularly important to me.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 11:38 PM   #13
marcus2116

L84thsky just becuase your to scared or lame to lower you car doesnt mean that you have to bring everyone else down.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:02 AM   #14
dodj

a question from a noob.

I like how my car sits at the rear, but i would like the front to be slightly lower. my suspension is all stock on a sports model (not sure if it differes from other packages, can someone tell me that too?)

i have biltein shocks at the back, not sure what type. I also feel like when i corner that there is more weight on the back wheels, is this normal? it kinda feels like there should be a bit more weight at the front?
dodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 12:51 AM   #15
cali-ti
aka Stabby

YES! the roads here (WI) suck so bad, i wish i hadn't lowered it. didn't figure the bav auto springs would lower it as much as it did. if i had it to do over again, i'd do a coilover setup where the minimum drop wasn't that significant, rather than the bav auto springs and bilstein sports. adjustable perches with adjustable shocks and struts i think would be the best setup. i can always change to it later and L8's comments don't make him "lame" or "scared" ... maybe he lives in an area where the roads blow and he drives his car year 'round like many others on this forum. we don't need to resort to those kind of comments. we have a diverse group of people here, all sorts of places, resources at hand, etc ... and any statement is just a statement of opinion. people who live in temperate climates whose roads are in good condition without potholes that have the potential to swallow someones car shouldn't just label others "lame" because they don't think lowering their car is a good idea. can't we all just get along?

i think you really need to evaluate your roads and environment and what you'll be using your car for to determine if lowering is a good idea. enjoy your car and take everyone's opinion with a grain of salt ... just like we'll take yours.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote