318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > eBay and Craig's list listings

Notices

eBay and Craig's list listings Listings of interest or amusement.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,000,407 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-08-2007, 06:32 PM   #1
L84THSKY

Default How would this fit?

Says it fits out cars.

http://cgi.ebay.com/K-N-57i-Inductio...QQcmdZViewItem

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 06:49 PM   #2
Watchmyradical

i dont see how it would. maybe with some kind of ghetto rigged set up. would help with they showed installed pics.
e46 325 brake upgrade, Dinan engine chip, UUC SS brake lines, UCC rotors, m68 17in wheels, Conti extreme contacts, Billstein sport shocks, H&R springs, M3 shock mounts, B&B triflow exhaust, K&N cone filter, Magnecor 8.5 wires, Meyle control arms with caster , Hawk ceramic pads, Understeer M3 SSK, UUC SS clutch line, 320 trans mounts.
Watchmyradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 06:54 PM   #3
jkilla71

Location: Ft Lauderdale, Fl moving to Eastern PA in May of 2007

I have it and it is made perfect for the car. Very simple design but it works. The K&N filter omits a nice chirp when flooring the gas and between gear changes. The car overall sounds great with the bosal and the conforti chip. When I go back to Pa this Spring I am going to have some sheet-metal guys that I know build a heat shield with an opening for the vent hose
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	DSC00312.jpg Views:	143 Size:	60.5 KB ID:	3029   Click image for larger version Name:	DSC00311.jpg Views:	133 Size:	69.4 KB ID:	3030   Click image for larger version Name:	DSC00310.jpg Views:	150 Size:	78.9 KB ID:	3031  

Old 01-08-2007, 06:57 PM   #4
H3_2.1-ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchmyradical View Post
i dont see how it would. maybe with some kind of ghetto rigged set up. would help with they showed installed pics.
Unless K&N is the "ghetto" because they make the kit.

Here's the install directions for the M44: http://www.kandn.com/instructions/57-0276.pdf

Cheers,

Engine: 2.1L Hartge conversion (bored to 86X91mm, ported & polished head, new valves, new crank, & upgraded ECU), Supersprint SS headers, Hartge exhaust, custom cat bypass (track), KV85 wires, Bosch platinum plugs, Vitesse cf spark plug cover, Vitesse cf CAI, Samco hoses, Fiamm air horns. Drivetrain: custom ssk, Vitesse adj. clutch stop, Redline D4 ATF & 75W90. Chassis: 18x8.5 Hartge Classics on 225/40/ZR18 Direzza DZ101s, 17x8 Hartge 7 spokes on 235/40/17 Direzza Z1 *specs and 17x9 Enkei MT1-R on 235/40/17 Direzza Z1 *specs(track), Vitesse 10mm spacers with cf/billet hub extenders, Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, Hartge sway bars & strut brace, urethane offset LCABs, Vitesse rsb, billet/urethane RSMs, X-brace, ATE BBK, ATE slotted rr. rotors, Goodridge ss. lines, ATE Superblue. Exterior: Violettschwarz, Hartge lip spoiler, window spoiler, hatch spoiler & mirrors, Vitesse cf door pillars, Vitesse cf fog light blanks (track), ZKW ellipsoids, HIDs in headlights, highbeams and foglights, and much more... Performance BMW Magazine feature car March 2003 www.vitessetuning.com
H3_2.1-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:08 PM   #5
Watchmyradical

my mistake. i though the pipes were used to attach the filter to the MAF. the design is actually really nice then. i just wasnt smart enough to relize what the pipes were for. sorry.
e46 325 brake upgrade, Dinan engine chip, UUC SS brake lines, UCC rotors, m68 17in wheels, Conti extreme contacts, Billstein sport shocks, H&R springs, M3 shock mounts, B&B triflow exhaust, K&N cone filter, Magnecor 8.5 wires, Meyle control arms with caster , Hawk ceramic pads, Understeer M3 SSK, UUC SS clutch line, 320 trans mounts.
Watchmyradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:10 PM   #6
L84THSKY

Yours is not the same. I was wondering how it could fit, based on the hose and vacuum cleaner head they supply.

This kit has you put the hose after the filter, and then put that scoop under your bumper. Talk about potential hydrolock, this one takes the cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilla71 View Post
I have it and it is made perfect for the car. Very simple design but it works. The K&N filter omits a nice chirp when flooring the gas and between gear changes. The car overall sounds great with the bosal and the conforti chip. When I go back to Pa this Spring I am going to have some sheet-metal guys that I know build a heat shield with an opening for the vent hose

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
Old 01-08-2007, 08:49 PM   #7
mohaughn

It shouldn't cause hydrolock... The instructions say that you should make sure that the filter end of the hose is atleast 4 inches away from the filter. This would allow any water that collects in the hose to not come into contact with the filter, or atleast it wouldn't flood the filter with water...
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:45 PM   #8
cosmos schwarz

you could zip tie the air scoop in the same place as the original m42 air box gets its air from, on the front panel, it would draw air from the kidney grilles. you cant go wrong then.
cosmos schwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:32 PM   #9
ipswich318ti

alot of people try make a cold air heat shield up ill find a pic

MESSAGE ME FOR MORE INFORMATION
ipswich318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:42 PM   #10
ipswich318ti

Old 01-08-2007, 11:45 PM   #11
jkilla71

Location: Ft Lauderdale, Fl moving to Eastern PA in May of 2007

I live in South Florida and we get lots of rain and big puddles here. I drive rain or shine and wide open as much as I can. That hose goes all the way down to the air dam and the top of the hose and filter have never gotten wet. I drove 180miles though a tropical storm with it and no wetness. The point is your Ti will sound a lot better and if you keep the filter clean and oiled you will be alright.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:45 AM   #12
L84THSKY

For the same price as this, you can get a Carbonio, and they install much lower to the ground than your setup. Even the 6 cylinder heat shield shown in a previous post is way to high up in the engine bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilla71 View Post
I live in South Florida and we get lots of rain and big puddles here. I drive rain or shine and wide open as much as I can. That hose goes all the way down to the air dam and the top of the hose and filter have never gotten wet. I drove 180miles though a tropical storm with it and no wetness. The point is your Ti will sound a lot better and if you keep the filter clean and oiled you will be alright.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 01-09-2007, 01:36 PM   #13
ipswich318ti

why is that too high up its where the cold air comes in from behind the grill
its where the gruppe m airfilter sits too

Old 01-09-2007, 02:39 PM   #14
L84THSKY

How is that behind the grill, looks like it's behind the headlight/cornerlight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipswich318ti View Post
why is that too high up its where the cold air comes in from behind the grill
its where the gruppe m airfilter sits too

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 01-09-2007, 02:46 PM   #15
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

I think this is the safest setup, next to running the factory airbox. The filter is shielded from all engine bay temps and cold air is provided via the headlights. The overall short length of the tube is also beneficial, since longer tubes introduce different flow frequencies (?) and can cause turbulence and ultimately cause a restriction. Corky Bell has some interesting writing on intake turbulence, much of it is over my head, but the summary is that shorter is better when it comes to filter to throttle body distance. Just my opinion.

NickG also uses this setup on his Stage 3 DASC kit. If there was additional power to be gained by going lower, he would have done it.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote