318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Brakes

Notices

Brakes From what pads to use to brake upgrades.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by kupkake303
Today 06:12 PM
211 Replies, 1,298,941 Views
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
05-02-2024 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 401,259 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-14-2006, 01:06 AM   #1
mohaughn

Default complete brake upgrade, ??? about changing lines and fluid

OK. So my brake kit finally shipped. Big thumbs-up to UUC. Even though it did take them awhile to get the parts in, they did bump me up to 3 day shipping in order to get my brakes here when they absolutely had to be here. They still didn't have the front brake pads so they had those dropped shipped overnight from their supplier. Definitely going out of their way to make up for the delays in shipping..

So, my question is, what else should I be doing along with this brake upgrade? I am going to be using motul fluid, and the UUC ss brake line kit. I was thinking about buying some cheapo brake fluid to flush the system with after I remove the fluid that is currently in the system. Is there a better way to flush the lines? What about the rear caliper? It functions perfectly, so should a good blast of brake cleaner be enough for it?

Also, how hot do the rear calipers get in autox or track type conditions? Has anybody actually tested this? The front calipers are black so I was thinking I might use some high temp. But I think most high temp paint is good up to 500 degrees. I might have to look for something better than that.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 01:51 AM   #2
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Why again do you need a BBK?
Anyway, I wouldn't worry about flushing the brake system twice. Just use quality brake fluid. My front pads get to 800-900 degrees. Never measured the rears. High temp paint goes to at least 1200 degrees.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 04:31 AM   #3
aceyx

I use Motul 5.1 in my motorcycle; good stuff. DO NOT USE DOT5.

The ti gets ATE Superblue/gold (DOT4), which is nice because when you alternate colors it's easier to see when the line is bled. I would have no problem using Motul 4/5.1 in it though, but I'm a sucker for habit.

Best route to protecting the calipers is probably powdercoating. A search will turn up many threads on it.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:35 AM   #4
mohaughn

I wasn't sure how much gunk builds up in the lines. The fluid looks pretty clean, so I'll just do the one flush..

It's not the UUC BBK, I think they call it their PBK. It is matched to OEM motorsport rotors, just lighter aftermarket calipers and hangers and you don't have to change the hub. Stock it doesn't need them.. But if the SEAM supercharger doesn't happen, or isn't at the power range I'm looking for, a swap will happen. Certainly no need for the 355mm big kit that they sell for 2100$. This one is half that price with the two piece rotors.

Just saw that summit has VHT brake paint rated up to 900 degrees.. Might have to try to find the VHT paints locally. I'm not to worried about it as I'm sure it will look a lot better once they calipers are actually clean. and this is not a show car after all.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 05:34 AM   #5
jdehaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaughn
Big thumbs-up to UUC. Even though it did take them awhile to get the parts in, they did bump me up to 3 day shipping in order to get my brakes here when they absolutely had to be here. They still didn't have the front brake pads so they had those dropped shipped overnight from their supplier. Definitely going out of their way to make up for the delays in shipping..
Wow thats really respectable for them to do that. I waited on Ground Control for over 5 months to ship out my new suspension. apparently there was a massive shortage of the shocks which caused the delay. Because of the delay i missed two track weekends (needed the stiffer suspension because of my S52 conversion). And what did they do to compensate me? absolutely nothing in return for my patience, just a "we'll get them sent out asap"...repeatedly everytime i called for 5 months. this is the second suspension we've ordered from them in the last year, and the second one it has taken several months to receive. they make a good product, though, which is why i chose them again. a lot of these companies realize that they have you over a barrel and so customer service disappears. i'm glad to hear that there are still some companies that remember it. I'm happy everything worked out with your brakes.
jdehaan is offline   Reply With Quote