318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Induction

Notices

Induction Superchargers, NO2 and turbos.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 103,985 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 67,018 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 64,322 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 09-04-2007, 02:18 AM   #1
dguzzardo22

Default curious FI

I was looking at FI and i wanted to know what would happen if i were to come up with a way to force air in the air box or after the sensor so it would be similar to forced cold air intake. im not gonna do it but i was jus wondering would would happen if i were to use a pully and attach a fan or something to foce air in the manifold and make a custom intake and filter mabey a big intercooler to cool the air . what would i have to buy to compensate for the extra air bein forced in . also about the fuel aspec ?? what would i have to get for the more fuel problem im not tryin to get any big boost but just a lilttle extra than stock . i already have a exhaust and fogged my air box but my car just seems slow and im also board all day so i opened my hood and my mind went crazy ... i just wanted to ask before it got out of hand .
you can laugh at me thinking im going to GETTO rig something but im not i was jus curious earlier today so im asking the experts. and no i caint get a DASC i caint afford one but it be great to have one tho. anyways . thanks for reading my questions . but anwsers help alot..
Old 09-04-2007, 02:27 AM   #2
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dguzzardo22 View Post
I was looking at FI and i wanted to know what would happen if i were to come up with a way to force air in the air box or after the sensor so it would be similar to forced cold air intake. im not gonna do it but i was jus wondering would would happen if i were to use a pully and attach a fan or something to foce air in the manifold and make a custom intake and filter mabey a big intercooler to cool the air . what would i have to buy to compensate for the extra air bein forced in . also about the fuel aspec ?? what would i have to get for the more fuel problem im not tryin to get any big boost but just a lilttle extra than stock . i already have a exhaust and fogged my air box but my car just seems slow and im also board all day so i opened my hood and my mind went crazy ... i just wanted to ask before it got out of hand .
you can laugh at me thinking im going to GETTO rig something but im not i was jus curious earlier today so im asking the experts. and no i caint get a DASC i caint afford one but it be great to have one tho. anyways . thanks for reading my questions . but anwsers help alot..

http://318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11797

That should get you started.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 02:34 AM   #3
SDKmann

Well to start an intercooler attached to a air box would do nothing. A pulley driven fan really wouldnt do much either. The sensor in the airbox does control how much fuel is injected but if you already have a fogged air box then theres not much you can do DIY wise to squeeze out more performance from higher air flow. Also to adress your "exhast" that you have, by exhaust do you mean an aftermarket muffler (I really hope its not a fart can...) cause if its just a muffler then your not getting much out of that either. The rest of the exhaust system needs to be replaced with something that is free flowing if you want a real difference. Its time to spend some money bud. I can see that E46 bumper and your chrome rims from a mile away and I would sell those asap and get some performance parts on. A good way to start would be to get a CAI, you can get one for $100 and that would be the only way to increase air flow now. I would also go for a nice set of springs. I would personally get a set of H&R springs and a set of BavAuto ones wouldnt be bad either. From there go to sway bars and then replace the rest of the exhaust system. Get the bling off and the performance parts on on and you will be golden.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:29 AM   #4
dguzzardo22

yes i know the rims were flashy so i sold them and i got new ones i just aint got around to a new pic lately, and yes its a fart can but i just got it because it just a deeper tone not any loud honda bees swarming . I just wanted someones advise on forcing air in the air box b/c when i fogged my air box i directed air from the fan to the box and when my car idled it wanted to die so i was needed somethin to y it was dying from the air being forced in the sensor . so i was askind what would happed if i forced more air behind the sensor .compared to in front of the sensor . i just wanted a quick anwser to what would happen and the best way to go about it . if i were to go such a route in performance i would buy a junk m3 and swap everything. and i do have my car lowered by a jamex kit and it rides pretty good but not the best. but thanks for the advise .
Old 09-04-2007, 12:57 PM   #5
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

I couldn't really follow your post, but I think you are saying you tried forcing hot air (from behind the radiator) into the airbox, or into the intake after the MAF. All air going to the engine NEEDS to pass the MAF, if you bypass it you will cause problems, bad problems.

Don't mess with the air near the radiator, that air is VERY hot and will cause major performance loses, even if you find a way to pressurize it. You want COLD AIR going into the engine. Cold air is denser, meaning there is more oxygen in cold air versus hot air.

Keep in mind that BMW spent a lot of R&D time and money to design the intake system. What they ended up with was a compromise that balanced performance with reliability. If you kind a way to increase performance, you will likely be sacrificing reliability. Cold Air Intakes have been shown time and time again to provide very little gains, some additional noise and danger of hydrolock.

My recommendation is to leave it alone. It's difficult to make the 318ti fast without spending a lot of money, you should concentrate on making it handle better instead, or get a DASC.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:45 PM   #6
aceyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dguzzardo22 View Post
i just wanted a quick anwser to what would happen and the best way to go about it.
If the answer were quick, easy, and cheap, BMW would have already done it so they could charge more for the car.

Learn to drive your car well as a stock machine. You'd be surprised to find out you can use the torque and handling to outrun cars with more power. Be safe, don't push the car's limits on public roads.

Learn as much as you can about automotive technology, taking each information with a grain of salt. Look for contrasting explanations, and see which one makes more sense. Also, realize that marketing departments often lie.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:30 PM   #7
M3_KILL3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyx View Post
If the answer were quick, easy, and cheap, BMW would have already done it so they could charge more for the car.

Learn to drive your car well as a stock machine. You'd be surprised to find out you can use the torque and handling to outrun cars with more power. Be safe, don't push the car's limits on public roads.

Learn as much as you can about automotive technology, taking each information with a grain of salt. Look for contrasting explanations, and see which one makes more sense. Also, realize that marketing departments often lie.
+1 great deep statement right there!! i agree at my local track i can outrun a e36 m3 and most hondas on the turns....
Old 09-05-2007, 02:14 AM   #8
aceyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_KILL3R View Post
+1 great deep statement right there!! i agree at my local track i can outrun a e36 m3 and most hondas on the turns....
It's not that deep really.

While "go fast parts" may seem to help you right now, all they really do is promote your reliance on them (power being the #1 crutch of most drivers).

When you get to the top tier of driving/racing, everybody has that advantage--some people have more. The last thing you have to rely on is your skill and experience, which you must build from the bottom.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:29 AM   #9
M3_KILL3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyx View Post
The last thing you have to rely on is your skill and experience, which you must build from the bottom.
i fully agree with that. Heres why i think its deep. People now all they do is build up on performance mods that improve that ever so graceful 0-60 time and that quarter mile time. They dont realize that true car racing has nothing to do with that. I know when le manz first started the cars weren't fast at all. True now we have the m3 le manz and we have f1 cars but all the cars have the same specs and one is not THAT much faster than the other. They rely on their skills to push through. I've seen first hand my fathers friend drive circles around a 911 with his tiny e30. The e30 oviously is lacking on power that the 911 has but he LITERALLY rapped it in the ass.......why because he was a better driver. simple as that get your suspension set up to your needs, take a driving course, and take your skills to the track. Then you will see where the true power lies......