318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 984,514 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-16-2010, 01:40 AM   #16
bmwconnect

Quote:
Originally Posted by dguzzardo22 View Post
wow 20 extra ! and better mpgs !! and you mean supporting mods you mean . a exhaust and intake or for our cars fogged airbox , and what else would help add the power with the tune?
When I say supporting mods I mean if you have CAI or better flowing exhaust you might see a extra 2-5 crank hp on top of the 20bhp with my tune
Old 12-16-2010, 01:56 AM   #17
dguzzardo22

as far as the install. tell me the process with that .
Old 12-16-2010, 02:00 AM   #18
bmwconnect

Quote:
as far as the install. tell me the process with that .
You must remove your DME, have it shipped to me and then I flash with my software then I send back and you simply install DME and go!
Old 12-16-2010, 02:16 AM   #19
dguzzardo22

as far as process on shipping what is the wait once recieved. and also once it is flashed is there any reversal if im not happy? and if i do a motor swap can i get a tune for the new motor or i would be stuck with it. also my motor has high miles is it safe?
Old 12-16-2010, 02:28 AM   #20
bmwconnect

Quote:
as far as process on shipping what is the wait once recieved. and also once it is flashed is there any reversal if im not happy? and if i do a motor swap can i get a tune for the new motor or i would be stuck with it. also my motor has high miles is it safe?
Shipping depends on you, where your located , How much you want to spend on shipping to me and how quickly you need the DME back

Yes the process can be reversed but without refund.. Why you might ask? I Don't want people steeling my code and reselling it

If you plan on doing a swap just wait so you don't have to pay for two tunes

High miles is not the killer but rather neglect, low octane gas used, and how often you do oil and fluid changes

Best Regards|
Old 12-16-2010, 03:23 AM   #21
zoner

I have the Dinan Stage I chip in my M42- it provides a reasonable bump over stock, but I doubt it is anywhere near 20HP. Additionally, I'm lucky if I get 20 MPG in the city and that's not even putting my foot into it.

I may have to look into this...
zoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:34 AM   #22
dguzzardo22

im not planning on stealing anything . i dont know a thing about codes and such . i dont know how to remove my dme yet .
and as far as proof on a m44 do u have any charts or anything ?

sorry for all the dumb questions im just looking for a christmas present to myself and i want all the info i can .

Thanks

also if i were to buy a dasc would u have to retune to map for the dasc ?
Old 12-16-2010, 03:46 AM   #23
Marv17

Quote:
im not planning on stealing anything . i dont know a thing about codes and such . i dont know how to remove my dme yet .

sorry for all the dumb questions im just looking for a christmas present to myself and i want all the info i can .

Thanks

yeah, any kind of modification added later you would have to send it back for a retune ESPECIALLY for a supercharger. BUT know this, there is not a lot of engine modification you can add to the M42/4. The only other thing i can think of is a bigger MAF (which is probably not needed for a small motor), or larger injectors. The DME is on the passenger side as well. there should be threads or DYI threads on other sites to help you remove the DME safely.

-Theta Chi-
Float like a cadilac, sting like a BIMMER

.... my socket is just too thick and won't fit in the hole! damnit!

Marv's 332ti is in the werks. Stay tuned ya'll ...

Check list: S52 swap, manual transmission swap, 3.25 LSD with M Coupe diff cover, SuperSprint muffler, M3 style mirrors, AFE intake, ASC delete, M50 Manifold swap, UUC strut bar, ZHP lighted knob, Vaders, M-tech interior, OEM armrest, AC Schintzer front lip, AC Schnitzer rear spoiler, Roof spoiler, 18'' rims, M3 front drilled brakes, LED interior lights, 3 spoke Euro style steering wheel, OEM roof spoiler and bike holder, Thule fairing, Euro tail lights, oil pressure guage, carbon fiber hood painted to original paint (still showing CF weaving), what's next to do...?
Marv17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:37 AM   #24
dguzzardo22

so even with the tune with larger injectors . if someone would chime in on stock compared to bigger ones and if i going to get a tune i might as well get the tune with bigger injectors to get a little more power ..
Old 12-16-2010, 05:44 AM   #25
bmwconnect

Quote:

Thanks

Its not a matter of if you will or not it's just my policy and I stick to it
if you want a tune and want your money back then contact Dinan

I have no dyno sheets for the M44 but I can ensure you a dyno sheet is not needed to build a excellent calibration file/software for this car

Questions are not dumb

contact me by email if you need more info midnight-tuning@rogers.com
Old 12-16-2010, 05:52 AM   #26
bmwconnect

Quote:
so even with the tune with larger injectors . if someone would chime in on stock compared to bigger ones and if i going to get a tune i might as well get the tune with bigger injectors to get a little more power ..
Bigger injectors will do nothing for you unless you are FI or have some major motor upgrades... such as cams,porting,over sized piston, etc.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:55 AM   #27
zoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv17 View Post
BUT know this, there is not a lot of engine modification you can add to the M42/4. The only other thing i can think of is a bigger MAF (which is probably not needed for a small motor), or larger injectors.
As bmwconnect stated- there are any number of things you can do to a M42/44 to increase performance like: cams, intake porting, head porting, milling, valve work, oversize pistons, forced induction, etc. etc., the problem is that with these engines, dollar for dollar it is very cost prohibitive for the associated gain in performance- $750 for a cam set is pretty steep, and that doesn't even take into account the valve work needed to make it work properly. You'll end up putting a few thousand $$ or more into getting probably less horsepower, compromised streetability, and likely less reliability than an S52 swap... It's just not really worth it, IMO.
zoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:55 AM   #28
Jean H.318TI

just get the tune from this guy i cant be any happier with the tune, my previous DINAN tune is nothing next to his tune, the car pulls really really hard and even more after the hp on the dinan tune start dropin after 6k, with his tune the car keeps pullin hard until the new red line, this is the most hp i got for the money and its cheaper than the dinan tune
Old 12-16-2010, 03:12 PM   #29
Marv17

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoner View Post
As bmwconnect stated- there are any number of things you can do to a M42/44 to increase performance like: cams, intake porting, head porting, milling, valve work, oversize pistons, forced induction, etc. etc., the problem is that with these engines, dollar for dollar it is very cost prohibitive for the associated gain in performance- $750 for a cam set is pretty steep, and that doesn't even take into account the valve work needed to make it work properly. You'll end up putting a few thousand $$ or more into getting probably less horsepower, compromised streetability, and likely less reliability than an S52 swap... It's just not really worth it, IMO.

oh, yeah i know. I was just merely stating that with any other future engine modifications of any sort of these examples he'll have to have it tuned properly for them to achieve optum power. That is why i went with a S52 swap instead of rebuilding my M44 when i messed it up in the rain. money costs wasn't worth saving the motor.
but any who... i'll be going with this tune once i get my final touches in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to this xmas present to myself

-Theta Chi-
Float like a cadilac, sting like a BIMMER

.... my socket is just too thick and won't fit in the hole! damnit!

Marv's 332ti is in the werks. Stay tuned ya'll ...

Check list: S52 swap, manual transmission swap, 3.25 LSD with M Coupe diff cover, SuperSprint muffler, M3 style mirrors, AFE intake, ASC delete, M50 Manifold swap, UUC strut bar, ZHP lighted knob, Vaders, M-tech interior, OEM armrest, AC Schintzer front lip, AC Schnitzer rear spoiler, Roof spoiler, 18'' rims, M3 front drilled brakes, LED interior lights, 3 spoke Euro style steering wheel, OEM roof spoiler and bike holder, Thule fairing, Euro tail lights, oil pressure guage, carbon fiber hood painted to original paint (still showing CF weaving), what's next to do...?
Marv17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:14 PM   #30
rbajadek

Default Midnight tune

I sent my DME to Barrie but he was not able to flash it, he could read only not write. I purchased another DME off of Ebay and I am sending it to him. When I get it back how do I go about aligning the new DME to my car? I sure hope this works, I really want the Midnight Tuned DME.

97' 318Ti
rbajadek is offline   Reply With Quote