318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 997,000 Views
  Share/Bookmark

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-09-2020, 11:25 PM   #1
apexspeedtech

Default Supercharger options

Hello everybody!

I'm weighing Supercharger options for my 318ti M44 right now, and it seems the easiest choice are a used DASC or a new kit from Hyde Motorworks:

https://hydemotorworks.com/supercharger-setups/

My ideas setup would be a DASC with a CARB exemption sticker as I'd like it to be able to pass smog in California, but right now finding a DASC which isn't a box of dodgy parts is hard enough. I'm fine with buying a partial kit while sourcing/fabricating/rebuilding parts if the price is right, but so far I haven't found one I like.

I'll be doing all the tuning myself with a standalone ECU, I've got some experience in that and am confident I'll be able to run safe & conservative timing & air fuel ratios. Will likely do knock control at a later date.

Would appreciate any feedback on the following:

1. The most obvious difference between the two is the DASC has a custom cast inlet manifold, where the Hyde connects to the stock manifold where the throttle body normally goes. Downing obviously went through great trouble and expense to design a custom cast manifold, so any ideas on the drawbacks of the stock manifold? The one thing I can think is the 2-piece design invites issues at where thy come together, but then again they've run 15psi+.

2. The Hyde does however, have an optional intercooler, and I'm interested in the SC14 supercharger that makes a minimum of 12psi boost. Has anyone had experience in running this much in a bone-stock engine? I'm sure 8psi is fine as that's what the DASC's did, with an intercooler and my own tune I'm hoping I can keep detonation at bay but would be good to know if anyone found limits on the stock motor.

3. I've not had luck getting a hold of anything at Downing, is there anyway of getting a CARB sticker for one of their kits if I do find one?

Cheers,
Neel
apexspeedtech is offline   Reply With Quote