318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 102,095 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 65,123 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 62,378 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 05-27-2008, 10:03 PM   #1
oakley

Default Misfire (I think!)

K, well when the engine is cold my start up isnt too good..Always starts and first time but its rough for a few seconds..Its fine if i pull off straight away or give it abit of gas it then settles down, but it just sounds rough..The engine shakes and the revs are too low..
Also the oher day after a 45min journey I stopped for about 20mins- Jumped back in and had to crank it twice to start it
It was fine till the dealer did a service- I supplied my own plugs as I waned to try NGK Iridiums instead of the basic NGK's they use..Could this be the problem? Anyone else suffered with these plugs or can think of anything else to check? Iv tried the leads they are all secure so whats next!??
Please help chaps!!
Oh and im not getting any engine warning lights or anything like that..
18" AC Schnitzer alloys. AC Schnitzer exhaust. Umnitza V2 Angel eyes with remote locking function. 6500K HID's (altho currently running 4200K HID's) Rogue Engineering RSM's. EBC Turbo discs and Greenstuff Pads. Retro fit dimming mirror. M style indicator wing mirrors. Carbon Fibre GT splitter. Carbon kidneys grills. Alpine IDA-X001 Ipod headunit. M3 leather gaitors. M pedals. Illuminated M gearshift. Reiger rear spoiler. Shark fin.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:32 PM   #2
DueceMcCracken

I'm having the same issue actually. It's my no 2 cylinder misfiring. I have a valve cover leak that is causing the plug to misfire. My solution to this problem is to replace the plugs(again), valve cover gasket, and run a thread chaser for the spark plugs to clean the threads then i should be good.

I was throwing a CEL.

Im running NGK platinums and magnecor 8.5 wires.

I have oil on no 2 spark plug boot.

Hope this helps a little.

Could also be a O2 sensor going bad, as mine is, lol.

Trying to consume liquefied hops every second of every day. Mmmmm Hops...
DueceMcCracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:36 PM   #3
M4YTY

Could be the plug gaps but i doubt it. Still worth checking. Hot starting issues can be caused by bad Cam sensors or crank sensor. Not too common on these engines but still possible. A fault code will be stored for these sensors if they are faulty but the light will not come on. Another common fault for poor running is the breather pipe that goes from your cam cover to the seperator along the back of the engine. It turns all soft and squishy (feels like chewing gum. No, really!) and can block. I always check them on services as they are usually soft and split. Try them and see what u come up with
M4YTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:34 PM   #4
oakley

Checked all the pipes and they seem fine on the brief inspection I did, I have always had a randon start problem when the engine is hot if its started and stopped alot on little journeys so iv replaced my Crank case valve, and cleaned the icv a short time ago...Everything was fine till the service so im sure its just the engine not liking the iridium plugs, although they are the upgrades to NGK BKR6EK if u stick the car into a spark plug park finder including NGK's one it never comes back with Iridium info so maybe the 4 pot doesnt like them!
Car still runs fine when going just a rough few seconds on start up, iv taken the plugs out and checked them, they still look ok..Guess i will try replacing them with the recommended ones and take it from there!!
18" AC Schnitzer alloys. AC Schnitzer exhaust. Umnitza V2 Angel eyes with remote locking function. 6500K HID's (altho currently running 4200K HID's) Rogue Engineering RSM's. EBC Turbo discs and Greenstuff Pads. Retro fit dimming mirror. M style indicator wing mirrors. Carbon Fibre GT splitter. Carbon kidneys grills. Alpine IDA-X001 Ipod headunit. M3 leather gaitors. M pedals. Illuminated M gearshift. Reiger rear spoiler. Shark fin.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:03 PM   #5
marko

my car did the same a while ago - and eventually just refused to start.
in my case it was the crank position sensor - though it would probably be wise to check your cam position sensor & idle stabilizer valve as well.
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:02 PM   #6
oakley

K well I replaced the sparkplugs with the bkr6equp platinum 4 prong ones... Still same issue
Its weird as when I finished putting the new plugs in it fired up perfectly...Drove to work, drove perfectly..8 hrs later and the start up is rough again..Its fine if I give it abit of gas but just seems to struggle at first...Once iv stepped on the pedal even just once its fine...Any other ideas people its doing my head in...
Everything was perfect till my service!! Could the start upissues be linked to a problem with the oil they used? Only other thing that they did was changed the aircon belt...Could it be aligned wrong and cause any problems??
Old 06-07-2008, 11:29 PM   #7
oakley

Oh and will a failing front o2 sensor, cam chaft sensor, MAF etc show up a engine light on my dash??
Old 06-08-2008, 01:29 AM   #8
tiFreak

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
Oh and will a failing front o2 sensor, cam chaft sensor, MAF etc show up a engine light on my dash??
yeah, probably
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:06 AM   #9
oakley

Cheers mate, Guess its not that then!!
Old 06-09-2008, 09:56 AM   #10
Marv17

hmmm... checked if there is any signs of oil in the spark plug area? i had a little tiny leak in mine, 4th one. and it thru a cel, misfire. and it would sometime be rough at times. stepped on the gas and it ran fine. but after i changed the gaskets and all, it ran better. i don't know if that may be your problem, but its just a thought.

-Theta Chi-
Float like a cadilac, sting like a BIMMER

.... my socket is just too thick and won't fit in the hole! damnit!

Marv's 332ti is in the werks. Stay tuned ya'll ...

Check list: S52 swap, manual transmission swap, 3.25 LSD with M Coupe diff cover, SuperSprint muffler, M3 style mirrors, AFE intake, ASC delete, M50 Manifold swap, UUC strut bar, ZHP lighted knob, Vaders, M-tech interior, OEM armrest, AC Schintzer front lip, AC Schnitzer rear spoiler, Roof spoiler, 18'' rims, M3 front drilled brakes, LED interior lights, 3 spoke Euro style steering wheel, OEM roof spoiler and bike holder, Thule fairing, Euro tail lights, oil pressure guage, carbon fiber hood painted to original paint (still showing CF weaving), what's next to do...?
Marv17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:49 AM   #11
oakley

Na no oil in or around the plugs area..Its still very clean and shiny in the little chambers!! Iv had the plugs out a few times in the last couple of weeks.. to check wether the problem was a misgapped plug..And as I said above I changed the plugs again to the Platinum ones incase the other plugs were the issue...