318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Electrical

Notices

Electrical All wiring questions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 994,560 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 02-03-2011, 09:10 PM   #1
Kecapt

Default Engine wire harness

My car won't start. Per the Bently manual trouble shoot. The fuel pump relay is no grounding when the key is on. It says the dme or wiring is the problem. The DME works in my other 318. I have a harness fr a 318 1996 )same year) but it's for am Automatic, not 5 speed. My question is does anyone know if I can use the auto harness and just leave the connections unhooked for the auto controller? Thanks
Kecapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:43 PM   #2
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kecapt View Post
My car won't start. Per the Bently manual trouble shoot. The fuel pump relay is no grounding when the key is on. It says the dme or wiring is the problem. The DME works in my other 318. I have a harness fr a 318 1996 )same year) but it's for am Automatic, not 5 speed. My question is does anyone know if I can use the auto harness and just leave the connections unhooked for the auto controller? Thanks
Yes you can leave the auto stuff unplugged and you should be fine

Last edited by xxxJohnBoyxxx; 02-03-2011 at 09:45 PM.
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:52 PM   #3
Kecapt

Thanks, I'll check those. It's funny, the BMW dealer shop said the DME is bad. I replaced the DME, immobilizer and key chip and the car won't even turn over. With the original the car will turn over but no start. The fuel pump doesn't run. I jumpered the fuel pump per bentley and the pump runs. Also, with the DME, imm, and key chip in other car it runs. Thanks for your help
Old 02-04-2011, 03:39 AM   #4
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Thanks, I'll check those. It's funny, the BMW dealer shop said the DME is bad. I replaced the DME, immobilizer and key chip and the car won't even turn over. With the original the car will turn over but no start. The fuel pump doesn't run. I jumpered the fuel pump per bentley and the pump runs. Also, with the DME, imm, and key chip in other car it runs. Thanks for your help

Ok I was going to get all involved but didn't in my other post since I though you already check all kinds of things. Let's do things a little different here ok.

You need to take you original DME apart and look at the circuit board and see if it looks like mold on it from getting wet? If it does then we might be able to fix that. If not I will work with you on correcting the EWS issue on the second DME kit you purchased which is why your car is not starting.

My name is John Smith I'm in Tampa Bay. If I don't respond timely call me on my home or cell listed below since I get distracted at times or lose posts. Don't be afraid to call, ok.

John S
Home 727 321-0460
Cell 727 557-7452
Old 02-04-2011, 03:48 AM   #5
xxxJohnBoyxxx

On the bottom of DME remove bolts if any then bend tabs and remove bottom and look to ensure there is no mold looks stuff on the curcuit board from water damage, ok.

If there is then we will work on your mold original DME.

If you want to just use the other DME then let me know and I will instruct you how to use it, you will get codes since the auto trans is not there. You will need to go under the steering column and disconnect the key ring halo and connect a separate remote halo to hold the new DME's key in a hidden place and use your regular key to start the car. I like to hide the key in the ash tray and remove it when I leave the car so EWS still works so you now need twokeys to start the car.

It's real easy, I have a very good knowledge of EWS so I'm sure me or someone on the board can help you.

Best, John S
Old 02-04-2011, 04:22 PM   #6
Kecapt

Hey thanks for the help. I'll call you tonight if it's ok. I did take apart my DME in the beginning. There was no visible damage. (water ect.) And when I install the DME with the imm, and chip from key in my other 318, it starts. Looking forward to talking to you. Thanks again, Tom
Old 02-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #7
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Hey thanks for the help. I'll call you tonight if it's ok. I did take apart my DME in the beginning. There was no visible damage. (water ect.) And when I install the DME with the imm, and chip from key in my other 318, it starts. Looking forward to talking to you. Thanks again, Tom
Sounds good Tom look forward to the call...

John Smith
Old 02-06-2011, 11:53 AM   #8
Kecapt

Hey John, thanks again for all the help. I started to replace the CS and ran out of time. Back to work for me. I'll call you when I get the sensor replaced. Thanks again. Tom
Old 03-04-2011, 10:29 PM   #9
Kecapt

Hey John, I left without sending the package to you. I'll send it the end of the month. Thanks, Tom