318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 98,226 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 61,063 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 58,458 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-26-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
Amazing_M42

Arrow Idles too low (accelerates with hesitation) after cold start

Hi guys. I own the european 1994 318ti with M42B18 and manual transmission.

Few weeks ago I have noticed that something is wrong with the car. There are two sympthoms and they both appeared in about the same time. So I don't really know it is the one fault or more of them.
To begin with, the car doesn't run properly after the cold start (when the engine is cold). As you can see in the video, it cranks a bit too long and after it the engine runs poor, idle is too low and a bit rough. During this time I can rev the engine only if I push the pedal slowly, because if I push it quickly, the engine tends to die, struggles to work. As I said you can see and hear it in the video. This happens for a minute or less and later there are no problems with starting (however once this happend with warm engine).

In addition to this, sometimes while driving the car (doesn't matter cold or hot) I can feel that it starts to accelerate itself. Idle is too high - ~1500rpm. This happens for a short period of time. After few minutes or less the idle drops.
I had the car scanned for a fault codes - it showed the temperature sensor. The sensor's plug is OK, it gets right voltage and so on. Also I've changed two of them - no difference. Moreover, I have cleaned the idle control valve, changed it with another - also no difference.
I don't really know what else could be wrong. Please give some help.

Last edited by Amazing_M42; 06-28-2011 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Tried to change topic title: Idles too low (accelerates with hesitation) after cold start
Amazing_M42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:32 PM   #2
mtlblue

a 93 ti? how old is your fuel filter? sounds like a fuel pressure issue. does your pump prime when your turn the ignition on before starting?
mtlblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
Amazing_M42

Oh sorry, typing mistake about the manufacturing years. It is 94.
Yep, I can hear fuel pump buzzing for a few seconds when I turn the ignition on. However, I don't have any idea how old is fuel filter - never replaced it.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:10 PM   #4
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Dirty air filter, worn out upstream O2, vacuum leaks before TB. These are my only guesses that would throw a CEL.

Also clean the ICV just to be safe and eliminate that as a issue.

Last edited by xxxJohnBoyxxx; 06-26-2011 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Added ICV clean
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
Amazing_M42

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxJohnBoyxxx View Post
Dirty air filter, worn out upstream O2, vacuum leaks before TB. These are my only guesses that would throw a CEL.

Also clean the ICV just to be safe and eliminate that as a issue.
Well... ICV clean would be easy fix, but trust me my ICV is really clean. I have even tried to put another one, but it didn't solve the problem.
Dirty air filter? Well visually it doesn't look dirty at all, was changed 4000miles ago. There are no vacuum leaks too (it was the first thing I have checked).
O2 sensor? May be possible, but as long as I know it doesn't work until heats up. So I guess it can't affect the fuel mixture right after the start of the engine.
Correct me, please, if I am wrong.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:46 PM   #6
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing_M42 View Post
Well... ICV clean would be easy fix, but trust me my ICV is really clean. I have even tried to put another one, but it didn't solve the problem.
Dirty air filter? Well visually it doesn't look dirty at all, was changed 4000miles ago. There are no vacuum leaks too (it was the first thing I have checked).
O2 sensor? May be possible, but as long as I know it doesn't work until heats up. So I guess it can't affect the fuel mixture right after the start of the engine.
Correct me, please, if I am wrong.
Got me stumped I didn't know you had already did all the work listed above

Last edited by xxxJohnBoyxxx; 06-26-2011 at 06:52 PM.
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:09 PM   #7
Amazing_M42

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxJohnBoyxxx View Post
Got me stumped I didn't know you had already did all the work listed above
Everything is ok. Any ideas are welcome! I just always try to check everything if anything goes wrong but this time... I don't have any ideas left.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:06 PM   #8
Hotredti

Vehicles
Default CPS

Was it your Crankshaft Position Sensor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing_M42 View Post
Everything is ok. Any ideas are welcome! I just always try to check everything if anything goes wrong but this time... I don't have any ideas left.
Hotredti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:54 AM   #9
planksta

pcv valve?? Im having the same problem and all of the main supporters on this site told me it is most likely the pcv
Old 01-05-2012, 04:48 AM   #10
Hotredti

Vehicles
Default PCV

I don't think we have a PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) valve on our cars. Did you mean ICV (Idle Control Valve?

I ordered a CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor) today, since my car starts rough first thing in the morning whether it is cold or hot outside, and at times takes a couple of cranks, or one long one to get it to start. Same symptoms that a 328is of mine had and the crank sensor was the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planksta View Post
pcv valve?? Im having the same problem and all of the main supporters on this site told me it is most likely the pcv
Old 01-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #11
planksta

The to has a crankcase vent valve or pcv valve whichever you prefer cause I know I have seen it both ways and it is located right next to the dipstick its a little round plastic thing with two Allen screws underneath holding it in place and a hose connected to it which is called the crankcase vent hose leads behind the intake manifold over to the block, if the valve is bad it causes bad idle or jumping idles poor start ups and loss of power same with the hose being cracked
Old 01-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #12
Hotredti

Vehicles
Default ICV

That is the ICV (Idle Control Valve) you are talking about. Yes, if they get dirty or a hose cracks and lets vacuum pass through it, you will have the issues you are talking about.

Quote:
The to has a crankcase vent valve or pcv valve whichever you prefer cause I know I have seen it both ways and it is located right next to the dipstick its a little round plastic thing with two Allen screws underneath holding it in place and a hose connected to it which is called the crankcase vent hose leads behind the intake manifold over to the block, if the valve is bad it causes bad idle or jumping idles poor start ups and loss of power same with the hose being cracked
Old 01-05-2012, 04:07 PM   #13
planksta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotredti View Post
That is the ICV (Idle Control Valve) you are talking about. Yes, if they get dirty or a hose cracks and lets vacuum pass through it, you will have the issues you are talking about.
Number 11 on the diagram is the pcv and the other pic is the icv, they are separate parts that the ti has both of, i have a thread similar to this one you can search it if you would like
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	2.png Views:	200 Size:	12.7 KB ID:	12115   Click image for larger version Name:	1182647693.jpg Views:	199 Size:	31.0 KB ID:	12116  
Old 01-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #14
Hotredti

Vehicles
Default PCV

I stand corrected. I've even removed this and cleaned it before, but didn't realize it was a PCV valve; now I know.

Quote:
Number 11 on the diagram is the pcv and the other pic is the icv, they are separate parts that the ti has both of, i have a thread similar to this one you can search it if you would like
Old 01-05-2012, 04:24 PM   #15
planksta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotredti View Post
I stand corrected. I've even removed this and cleaned it before, but didn't realize it was a PCV valve; now I know.
hey its no big deal these cars are tricky, but i did not know this either until the other supporters helped me out, im replacing this soon i ordered one and it should be here today or tomorrow and im installing it right away so i will let you know if it helps any
-zach