318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Electrical

Notices

Electrical All wiring questions.

.
» Recent Threads
M44 chain tensioner -...
05-12-2020 02:21 PM
Last post by purejoy
Yesterday 08:17 PM
6 Replies, 691 Views
M54b30/M52b28 cam swap
07-12-2017 05:51 PM
Last post by Nix328ti
Yesterday 02:50 PM
16 Replies, 16,999 Views
1998 BMW 318ti...
09-20-2019 06:30 PM
Last post by Diecasm
Yesterday 07:52 AM
11 Replies, 6,147 Views
M44 Lower Timing Chain...
05-25-2020 05:17 AM
Last post by 96318ticali
05-25-2020 05:17 AM
0 Replies, 271 Views
1997 318ti BMW Manual...
05-23-2020 04:19 AM
Last post by JWil
05-24-2020 09:42 PM
1 Replies, 471 Views
What model ti do you own?
02-26-2003 03:40 AM
Last post by 318tilandman
05-24-2020 02:19 PM
336 Replies, 139,376 Views
Instrument cluster: no...
05-22-2020 03:32 AM
Last post by 1996 328ti
05-23-2020 12:49 AM
1 Replies, 400 Views
parting out a nice 95...
05-16-2020 10:27 PM
Last post by runnr548
05-21-2020 01:53 PM
3 Replies, 808 Views
Comprehensive Brake Info...
11-25-2008 09:25 PM
Last post by Sphinxe
05-20-2020 09:51 PM
106 Replies, 87,867 Views
Cant shift into gear/...
05-18-2020 11:56 PM
Last post by KASZ
05-19-2020 10:58 PM
2 Replies, 494 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 05:14 PM   #16
bazar01
Senior Member
 
bazar01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 595
iTrader: (0)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaamacat View Post
I did replace the HS relay along with the dual-temp radiator sensor switch, and no low speed. (Does anyone know if you can still do the override for the lowspeed from the sensor plug? The HS does override fine.
A quick test for the low speed fan operation is to unplug the LS relay from the socket inside the fuse box. Get a gauge 18 stranded wire. Strip the insulation on both ends about 1/4 inch long to expose the copper strands. Insert one end on the relay socket at terminal 85. This bypasses the ecu and the radiator temperature switch. Reinstall the low speed relay on the socket. Turn the ignition switch to ON but do not start. Ground the other end of the jumper wire. The fan should run in low speed. If it does not, the low speed resistor in the fan is blown or open.
__________________
1996 Ti 280k miles and still going....
1993 964 - holding on to this one
2001 Burban, 240k miles
2018 Suburban Z71
bazar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:40 PM   #17
kaamacat
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cumming, GA
Posts: 14
iTrader: (0)
Default

Considering I have a new sensor switch and HS relay, I am going to disconnect the Sensor switch, and also the plug from the fan.

In theory (right), if I jump either the LS or HS side of the sensor female plug, I should get power to the fan plug itself. That should take me to the route of either the issue is between the loop, or to the fan itself. (Possibly bad diode or resistor to the LS fan section).

But this should, I say should, eliminate the fan one way or the other.
kaamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:44 PM   #18
spidertri
Senior Member
 
spidertri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Elizabeth City, NC
Posts: 3,877
Vehicles
iTrader: (9)
Default

Replaced my HS relay today and after getting it up to temp the low speed fan kicked on while it idled. My thanks to all the people who posted the great info in this thread.
__________________
~Dave~

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:53 AM   #19
CirrusSR22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 1,587
iTrader: (3)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertri View Post
Replaced my HS relay today and after getting it up to temp the low speed fan kicked on while it idled. My thanks to all the people who posted the great info in this thread.
Sweet! I just placed an order for a high speed relay today. $12.19 + $0.89 tax. I'll post my results too.
CirrusSR22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:14 PM   #20
CirrusSR22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 1,587
iTrader: (3)
Default

My issue appears to be the radiator temp sensor. At the plug, doing the test on Page 170-5 of the Bentley manual, I can jumper Black/Green + Brown and get Low fan speed. Jumpering Black/Grey + Brown turns the fan on High. It works with both my old high-speed relay and the new one.

That's what I get for not doing my research and the proper diagnosis first!
CirrusSR22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:55 PM   #21
9G3Series
Member
 
9G3Series's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Posts: 36
iTrader: (0)
Default DIY: Pre-fan delete mod: auxiliary fan circuit testing

Well! Here's my write up that might relate to this topic, I guess.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1679680
9G3Series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:21 PM   #22
bazar01
Senior Member
 
bazar01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 595
iTrader: (0)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9G3Series View Post
Well! Here's my write up that might relate to this topic, I guess.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1679680
that's pretty much the very first thing anyone should verify before going through the trouble of testing the relays and ECU inputs.

If it does not pass the sensor test, proceed to testing the relay interlocks and control circuit, then the ECU input.
__________________
1996 Ti 280k miles and still going....
1993 964 - holding on to this one
2001 Burban, 240k miles
2018 Suburban Z71
bazar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:37 PM   #23
spidertri
Senior Member
 
spidertri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Elizabeth City, NC
Posts: 3,877
Vehicles
iTrader: (9)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9G3Series View Post
Well! Here's my write up that might relate to this topic, I guess.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1679680
Just so you know, people don't usually delete their electric fans. The FDM is more for the 328/M3 with the engine driven fan/fan clutch.

Very good info though and good to see pictures showing the procedure.
__________________
~Dave~

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:40 PM   #24
9G3Series
Member
 
9G3Series's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Posts: 36
iTrader: (0)
Default

my pleasure

+ I have learned more that the HS fan runs on the A/C in m44 radiator mount fan from this thread in which differ from my 94' m42 front mount fan that runs LS on A/C operation though. So, I need to do some wiring conversion under the fuse box board on my m44 fan conversion project.

Last edited by 9G3Series; 08-18-2011 at 03:20 PM.
9G3Series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:10 PM   #25
spidertri
Senior Member
 
spidertri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Elizabeth City, NC
Posts: 3,877
Vehicles
iTrader: (9)
Default

Why the roll eyes? Maybe there is something I don't understand? I wasn't aware that people deleted the electric fan on the M42/44.
__________________
~Dave~

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:53 PM   #26
9G3Series
Member
 
9G3Series's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Posts: 36
iTrader: (0)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertri View Post
Why the roll eyes? Maybe there is something I don't understand? I wasn't aware that people deleted the electric fan on the M42/44.
I mean I am referring to all the above postings, easy mate
9G3Series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:04 PM   #27
spidertri
Senior Member
 
spidertri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Elizabeth City, NC
Posts: 3,877
Vehicles
iTrader: (9)
Default

Sorry, rereading my post it could come off sounding wrong. I didn't mean for it to sound that way. No worries.
__________________
~Dave~

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #28
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus
 
cooljess76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura California
Posts: 7,825
iTrader: (6)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9G3Series View Post
Well! Here's my write up that might relate to this topic, I guess.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1679680
Removing the fan on an M42/M44 equipped car is not a good idea AT ALL. These engines are much more prone to overheating than M50, M52, S50 and S52 engines. 9G3Series, your car is a 318i. The 318i has both a "pusher" fan (mounted in front of the radiator) and a "puller" fan (mounted behind the radiator). The 318ti only has a "puller" fan which operates in two modes. Low speed intermittent cools the radiator when the coolant reaches a certain temperature and high speed constant when the A/C is turned on. Furthermore, the 318ti does not have the clutch driven fan mounted on the water pump pulley like other e36's do. So it's imperative that the puller fan remain installed and function properly as it's the only way to cool the engine when the car is sitting at idle or the a/c is turned on.

I'm sorry, but your writeup is not relevant to 99% of the members on this forum and may possibly mislead someone into removing a critical part of the car's cooling system. I'll finish by saying that the FDM was intended for cars equipped with a clutch driven fan. This is the fan that is attached to the waterpump on the front of the engine. Again, 318ti's don't have this fan. The reason people remove this fan is because the plastic blades are known to break off and cause MAJOR damage. I've seen cases where the blades have dented hoods, destroyed radiators, caused belts to pop off etc. In some cases, people didn't even know their fan was missing blades, meanwhile the fan was unbalanced and causing excessive wear on the water pump bearings. If you google "e36 exploding fan" you'll see what I'm refering to. The only reason anyone would consider doing this mod on a 318ti is if they've done an engine swap and have a 6cyl engine with a clutch driven fan. FWIW, I plan on keeping my clutch driven fan on my S52
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:07 PM   #29
9G3Series
Member
 
9G3Series's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Posts: 36
iTrader: (0)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
Removing the fan on an M42/M44 equipped car is not a good idea AT ALL. These engines are much more prone to overheating than M50, M52, S50 and S52 engines. 9G3Series, your car is a 318i. The 318i has both a "pusher" fan (mounted in front of the radiator) and a "puller" fan (mounted behind the radiator). The 318ti only has a "puller" fan which operates in two modes. Low speed intermittent cools the radiator when the coolant reaches a certain temperature and high speed constant when the A/C is turned on. Furthermore, the 318ti does not have the clutch driven fan mounted on the water pump pulley like other e36's do. So it's imperative that the puller fan remain installed and function properly as it's the only way to cool the engine when the car is sitting at idle or the a/c is turned on.

I'm sorry, but your writeup is not relevant to 99% of the members on this forum and may possibly mislead someone into removing a critical part of the car's cooling system. I'll finish by saying that the FDM was intended for cars equipped with a clutch driven fan. This is the fan that is attached to the waterpump on the front of the engine. Again, 318ti's don't have this fan. The reason people remove this fan is because the plastic blades are known to break off and cause MAJOR damage. I've seen cases where the blades have dented hoods, destroyed radiators, caused belts to pop off etc. In some cases, people didn't even know their fan was missing blades, meanwhile the fan was unbalanced and causing excessive wear on the water pump bearings. If you google "e36 exploding fan" you'll see what I'm refering to. The only reason anyone would consider doing this mod on a 318ti is if they've done an engine swap and have a 6cyl engine with a clutch driven fan. FWIW, I plan on keeping my clutch driven fan on my S52
Well, you are exactly right to make it an elaborately clear explanation. However, my write-up is in the another social not in here, 318ti.org, though.

But thank you anyway
9G3Series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:57 PM   #30
Elchocador
Junior Member
 
Elchocador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bradenton, FL
Posts: 10
iTrader: (0)
Default

So just a FYI - 96 M44 HS Fan relay is part no: 61361388911 found in fuse box NOT under dash.
Elchocador is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where are all the 5-speeds? Budget M3 I'm thinking about buying a ti. 15 07-14-2010 02:14 AM
Clunking noise in front end at low speeds hurtmeharmon Suspension 2 08-07-2009 03:18 AM
Wheel shaking at high speeds sixafterfour Misc 6 06-08-2007 06:11 PM
wheel shake at highway speeds dodj Suspension 1 04-13-2006 12:41 AM
creeking noise when backing out/turning wheel at slow speeds netn3gro Suspension 2 08-12-2005 05:09 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:46 AM.


.
Powered by site supporters
vBulletin Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1999 - 2020, 318ti.org
© vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2
[page compression: 138.14 k/163.08 k (15.29%)]

318ti.org does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information or products discussed.