318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
05-02-2024 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 340,596 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-30-2006, 07:38 PM   #1
SparksTi

Lightbulb A Stuttering Story

A couple of weeks ago on my way to work my car started to stutter. I had almost made it to work when the stuttering got really bad and then at the stoplight entering my work's parking lot my car gave a couple of loud bangs and a huge puff of smoke. I thought my car was dead. I was stuck at the stoplight for about five minutes until I was able to get the car to start and stutter into the parking lot. I had to wait til break time to look at it but the car was acting like it wasn't getting enough fuel or too much air, like a hole on the intake side. At break I checked all the hoses and connectors and they all looked good. I went to start it up....and no problem, it seemed fine. So I drove and got some lunch and didn't have a problem. So after work on the drive home my car started to stutter again really bad so I decided to had towards my friends house so if it were to die it would be closer to where I would be working on it. So that weekend I went to my friends house to try to find out what was going on with my car. He told me he drove it the day before and it was fine. I was like, "you got to be f***ing kinding". it didn't stutter for him at all. So I drove it around and for the must part it seemed to be okay. I was like whatever. So we went on with our normal plans for the weekend of making a "test pipe" for my exhaust. I pulled out the aftermarket catalytic converter and noticed a rattle. The honeycomb inside had somehow come loose, it was just rattling around in there. You could look right through the cat over the honeyconb to the other side. (No wonder I was failing Emissions.) That seems to be the very unlikely problem of the stuttering. I would have never thought it could be a honeycomb problem but who would cause BMW doesn't give you a check engine light for your honeycomb. So depending on how honeycomb was positioned it was restricting the exhaust flow just like banana in the tailpipe "Beverly Hills Cops". Crazy crazy thing but I got new exhaust all setup and car is running great.
95 Ti - Mods: Moss. Turbo, BMP AFPR, Bava F&R Camber Kit, SuperSrint Exhaust, Bilstein Sports, Bava Sport Springs, Bava 8mm Per. Ignition Wires, 18x8.5 BBS RK, Yokohama AVS dB S2 225/40/18, Bava F&R X-Drilled Rotors, Custom "Test Pipe" Exhaust.
Audio: Eclipse 56050 - 6 Disc In-Dash Changer, JL Audio 300/4 Mid Amp, 2 JL Audio 1000/1 Sub Amps, MB Quart QSD216, MB Quart PSD210, 2 JL Audio 13W7 Subs, Rockford Fosgate CPCC2 - 100 Farad Cap
Future Mods: MAF Conversion, Custom Gauge Display.
SparksTi is offline   Reply With Quote