318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Electrical

Notices

Electrical All wiring questions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 991,213 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-22-2010, 05:44 PM   #1
Kiponator

Default EWS and spare key?

I am wondering if I need to have a BMW dealer make a spare key for my '95 or if a generic key cut at a hardware store will work?

The one key I got from the previous owner is a OEM BMW key and it feels more substantial than a simple key.

My apologies but I haven't sourced an owner manual for my car yet as I have only had it for 10 days.

Searching the forum here has given me the feeling that something called EWS requires a proprietary key but I was hoping someone can confirm?

The car's build date is listed as 05/1995 if that makes any difference.

Thanks!
Kiponator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
spidertri

Vehicles

I'm pretty sure the 95s have EWS I which is easily disabled. EWS II is the later version and is a complete PITA to deal with. If you can disable EWS I I'd imagine you could use a generic key, but you should search more about that before spending any money.

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:06 AM   #3
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Most places can't cut BMW keys specifically because they have a different design as your standard key. Almost all newer cars have EWS and a transponder chip in their key like ours does. My dad has a transponder chip programing machine at his work. He can't cut me a key, but he can program a transponder chip to match my other key. Hope that answers your question. Like Dave said, you can disable/bypass the EWS by snipping a certain wire, but thats kind of a ghetto fix IMO.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:04 PM   #4
318tiGuam

Default i need a spare key

so has anyone tried disabling their EWS? i have a 1997 318ti and i really feel like i need a spare key. BMW dealer charges 150 for a spare which i think is ridiculous! i found some one that can cut the exact shape and grooves of my key,but because it has a transponder that spare will only be able to unlock doors but not turn "On" the ignition. does anyone have any suggestions on how i can get a cheaper spare or is there any way to disable whatever it is thats reading the transponder so that i can just use a regular key w/o transponder?
318tiGuam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:28 AM   #5
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 318tiGuam View Post
so has anyone tried disabling their EWS? i have a 1997 318ti and i really feel like i need a spare key. BMW dealer charges 150 for a spare which i think is ridiculous! i found some one that can cut the exact shape and grooves of my key,but because it has a transponder that spare will only be able to unlock doors but not turn "On" the ignition. does anyone have any suggestions on how i can get a cheaper spare or is there any way to disable whatever it is thats reading the transponder so that i can just use a regular key w/o transponder?
On your car the DME should be a Motronic 5.2 ending is 668 and there is no public know EWS delete for this DME currently. Sorry
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:10 AM   #6
hotmilk400

Quote:
Originally Posted by 318tiGuam View Post

you would have to use an EWS bypasser, but for the price, you might as well get the key cut. they use them for remote starters, and run about $50 - $100. you need to take the top of your key apart (most come apart very easy) and you need to remove the little black box (transceiver) and stick it inside the Bypasser.

if you arent getting a remote start, its better to cut the key since now it is much more easy to steal the car (just a simple hotwire will start the car) the EWS prevents that.

Green Your Decor with the Aspect! Shop for the Grow Light Used by Interior Designers, Growers & People Like You!
hotmilk400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:49 PM   #7
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmilk400 View Post
you would have to use an EWS bypasser, but for the price, you might as well get the key cut. they use them for remote starters, and run about $50 - $100. you need to take the top of your key apart (most come apart very easy) and you need to remove the little black box (transceiver) and stick it inside the Bypasser.

if you arent getting a remote start, its better to cut the key since now it is much more easy to steal the car (just a simple hotwire will start the car) the EWS prevents that.
Where do you find these bypassers? I never heard of one for a EWS-II, my ears are perked...
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:10 PM   #8
Marv17

is there a way to get an extra chip without having to buy a key?

-Theta Chi-
Float like a cadilac, sting like a BIMMER

.... my socket is just too thick and won't fit in the hole! damnit!

Marv's 332ti is in the werks. Stay tuned ya'll ...

Check list: S52 swap, manual transmission swap, 3.25 LSD with M Coupe diff cover, SuperSprint muffler, M3 style mirrors, AFE intake, ASC delete, M50 Manifold swap, UUC strut bar, ZHP lighted knob, Vaders, M-tech interior, OEM armrest, AC Schintzer front lip, AC Schnitzer rear spoiler, Roof spoiler, 18'' rims, M3 front drilled brakes, LED interior lights, 3 spoke Euro style steering wheel, OEM roof spoiler and bike holder, Thule fairing, Euro tail lights, oil pressure guage, carbon fiber hood painted to original paint (still showing CF weaving), what's next to do...?
Marv17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:22 PM   #9
hotmilk400

marv, why would you want a 2nd chip, and no key? just wondering. since if you remove the chip from your key, and put it into a bypass, it wont need the chip to start the car anyway. also, programming the key is what cost money. they key with a transponder chip is only like $10 for a non-bmw , and $30 for a BMW key. its the $100+ for the program, and the $30 for the cut that is expensive.

here is a universal bypass similar to the one i used. if you really have to know the one i used, i can look it up, but brand is not important.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_6071101...rch=key+bypass

basically, you splice this into the wiring that "looks" for the key in your ignition. so in a nutshell, it is just telling your car that YOUR key is in the ignition, even when no key is even there. that is the ONLY way to install a remote start into newer cars. and they work very well, since i have one on my 5sp (God i love my remote start) to be honest, if you are going to install this, you might as well do a remote start also. they cost like $80 for the kit, and you are halfway there anyway. (just saying)

anyway.. hope that helps.

Green Your Decor with the Aspect! Shop for the Grow Light Used by Interior Designers, Growers & People Like You!
Old 11-17-2010, 01:02 AM   #10
Marv17

well i would want a chip with no key because i need one that is not from my car. I have a s52 swap and don't want to buy the key if i can get away with just getting the chip only. then i'd be able to use my original keys that i already have. this way its more difficult to "hot wire" or steal the car.
if that makes sense.

-Theta Chi-

Check list: S52 swap, manual transmission swap, 3.25 LSD with M Coupe diff cover, SuperSprint muffler, M3 style mirrors, AFE intake, ASC delete, M50 Manifold swap, UUC strut bar, ZHP lighted knob, Vaders, M-tech interior, OEM armrest, AC Schintzer front lip, AC Schnitzer rear spoiler, Roof spoiler, 18'' rims, M3 front drilled brakes, LED interior lights, 3 spoke Euro style steering wheel, OEM roof spoiler and bike holder, Thule fairing, Euro tail lights, oil pressure guage, carbon fiber hood painted to original paint (still showing CF weaving), what's next to do...?
Old 11-17-2010, 01:12 AM   #11
hotmilk400

i have no idea what you are talking about. haha.

if you use the bypass, you have no reason to even have a key. bypassing the EWS means you can go back to the days of a simple hotwire to start the car (hence why you can install a remote start now) but since no one knows your car has it disabled, and ever other BMW is impossible to hotwire, no one will steal it (by hotwire) this does not mean you can stick any key in either. you can just stick in any key that was cut for your care, and it does not need an EWS.

are you saying that you do not have the key to your car? if you have the original chip inside the key, or one copied form that key, then you can use the bypass, and start the car without a key. you can use a push button start if you want (but anyone can start your car then)

the chip is what your computer checks to make sure the car is not stolen. the key is what starts it. it is impossible to spoof the chip, the bypasses only hides the chip inside your car instead of having it inside your key. it tricks the car into thinking the original key is in the car.

did that answer your question?

--

to the OP, you can disable the EWS 1, and get a key cut at the dealer. just ask for a key without a chip in it (i forget what they are called, but it allows you to use the glove box and open the doors without allowing you to steal the car) if they say they can not order them, then just get one off of ebay for $8, and have them cut it. if they refuse to cut it, shove the key up their asses. otherwise, the best bet is just to get the key coded. i think they told me about $120 for each key before.

Last edited by hotmilk400; 11-17-2010 at 01:15 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:26 AM   #12
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmilk400 View Post
i have no idea what you are talking about. haha.

if you use the bypass, you have no reason to even have a key. bypassing the EWS means you can go back to the days of a simple hotwire to start the car (hence why you can install a remote start now) but since no one knows your car has it disabled, and ever other BMW is impossible to hotwire, no one will steal it (by hotwire) this does not mean you can stick any key in either. you can just stick in any key that was cut for your care, and it does not need an EWS.

are you saying that you do not have the key to your car? if you have the original chip inside the key, or one copied form that key, then you can use the bypass, and start the car without a key. you can use a push button start if you want (but anyone can start your car then)

the chip is what your computer checks to make sure the car is not stolen. the key is what starts it. it is impossible to spoof the chip, the bypasses only hides the chip inside your car instead of having it inside your key. it tricks the car into thinking the original key is in the car.

did that answer your question?

--

to the OP, you can disable the EWS 1, and get a key cut at the dealer. just ask for a key without a chip in it (i forget what they are called, but it allows you to use the glove box and open the doors without allowing you to steal the car) if they say they can not order them, then just get one off of ebay for $8, and have them cut it. if they refuse to cut it, shove the key up their asses. otherwise, the best bet is just to get the key coded. i think they told me about $120 for each key before.
He's not asking for a bypass or anything of the sort. He was asking where he could get a spare chip for his key. His donor car only came with one key, but he had two keys for his Ti. He used the chip out of his donor car's key in one of his ti's keys and still has a spare ti key, but the chip inside his spare key doesn't match the M3's EWS code.

Marv, if your spare key still has the original chip in it, my dad could recode it for you. The machine he has reads/copy's your current key, then it'll reprogram your spare key with the same code.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:20 AM   #13
Bluebimma

How about, if youre not interested in its features and have a car alarm, remove the chip from your standard key, open the underside of your column, tape or glue the chip to the side of the ews ring, and be done with it? The chip in the key just has to be in range of the EWS ring to send feedback to the chassis so it may start the engine. Any key that can unlock your doors and turn the tumbler will also run the engine because the chip is already in the car and initializing EWS for you.

1998 Schwartz II sport 318ti - M50TUB25/5
Bluebimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:39 AM   #14
Marv17

well, i guess you over analyed the question a bit too far. my question was just simple... like jesse stated, "where i could get a spare chip"? that's all i want. I don't want no extra key or do a bypass. I want to keep it as standard/original as possible. i like the idea that it needs a chip to start, it sounds more secure for me.
i thought about just gluing the chip to the antenna ring but i decided not to go that route.
Jesse, i don't have any spare chips. I sold them along with the DME i had for the m44 DME. i think the company that i bought my alarm system from (with the E46 style key) sell chips or something. I will have to check them out, i forget if i saw that or not. if so i'll have to hit you up on that offer jesse.

but til then, if anyone knows a place that sells them for sure to have them aligned let me know.

-Theta Chi-

Old 11-17-2010, 03:46 AM   #15
Bluebimma

Junkyard and bimmerforums would be cheapest.

1998 Schwartz II sport 318ti - M50TUB25/5
Bluebimma is offline   Reply With Quote