318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Electrical

Notices

Electrical All wiring questions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,013,700 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 08-04-2011, 08:21 AM   #1
greennmeen

Vehicles
Angry [SOLVED] Factory Alarm Triple Chirp

Hey all,

I've done quite a few searches about this one, leading me to my first post on the forum. I recently purchased a '97 Sport with a factory alarm. When I picked up the car the dome lights were blown out, the trunk light bulb and plastic were missing. All the sorts of dumb problems you'd expect from a 14 year old car for sale for less than $2000.

Naturally, the alarm didn't work. Triple chirp every button press. I figured this was just random weirdness and had a boatload of other minor issues to take care of before that became a priority. Well, now it's a priority. First things first, I've ruled out all the usual door/trunk/hood switch suspects, here's a list:

I discovered when I replaced the trunk bulb that the trunk switch had worn a pretty serious groove in the plastic. Easily resolved with some rubber adhesive furniture pads from target. Boom, trunk bulb goes out when the lid is closed. This seemed to be the most common "3 chirp" culprit. Pressed button on remote, CHIRP CHIRP CHIRP. ARG.

Ok, so maybe I've got a door switch that's out. I noticed my driver's side parking lights are out, ok, so pop fuse 33 and drop in an LED kit for the dome lights. Wow, dome lights work, how nifty. Come on when the doors open, go off a few seconds after doors are closed, or instantly when ignition is triggered or doors are locked. Ok, so probably not the door switches. Press the button anyway: CHIRP CHIRP CHIRP. ARG.

Alright, so maybe it's the hood switch. A good excuse to pop the hood a few times, much more enjoyable with the ebay struts. I can hear the little click on the switch as I push the hood fully shut gently. That's nice. Ok, push that button. CHIRP CHIRP CHIRP OH DANG IT WTF. Ok, so they fail open, unplug the switch CHIRP CHIRP CHIRP GAH. Test the circuit, yup there's voltage, check the switch, yup it works, press the button CHIRP CHIRP CHIRP

So now I sort of want to rip out the alarm and urinate on it. Is there anything I'm missing that could be triggering the open door alert?

Last edited by greennmeen; 08-28-2011 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Problem fixed by replacing trunk switch.
greennmeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:26 PM   #2
98318ti

Let me know if you figure it out. I have the same problem and have searched exhaustively on it. Hood switch is ziptied shut and all the other door switches work. I wonder if there is a switch somewhere in the door lock mechanism, but the wiring schematic doesn't show it being necessary to the alarm system. The only thing I haven't tracked down yet is the actuator for the gas door, mine doesn't lock. Does yours?

Just remembered, there is also a switch behind the radio, but I can't see the state of that changing unless there has been recent activity in that area.

Last edited by 98318ti; 08-04-2011 at 08:33 PM.
98318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:55 PM   #3
bullmand

If both of your gas doors are not locking I'd start there. I'm not 100% that it's connected to the alarm system but it seems reasonable.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
98318ti

Stumbled across this on one of my many searches. I wonder if this might be my problem. My alarm problems started after working in this area on the door lock actuator.

Anyone have this book and can comment on it.

See second paragraph on the right

http://books.google.com/books?id=wJv...page&q&f=false

What do some of you more experienced guys think? Can the microswitch in the door lock mechanisms cause alarm problems? Talking about inside the door, not the door close switch in the frame.

Tx

Last edited by 98318ti; 08-12-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
greennmeen

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98318ti View Post
Let me know if you figure it out. I have the same problem and have searched exhaustively on it. Hood switch is ziptied shut and all the other door switches work. I wonder if there is a switch somewhere in the door lock mechanism, but the wiring schematic doesn't show it being necessary to the alarm system. The only thing I haven't tracked down yet is the actuator for the gas door, mine doesn't lock. Does yours?

Just remembered, there is also a switch behind the radio, but I can't see the state of that changing unless there has been recent activity in that area.
My gas door locks when I double-lock the doors.

I did replace the head unit for the radio, but it looks like that switch isn't present on my '97 ti. I pulled the HU after reading about that issue on bimmerforums (wincing the entire time because dang those things don't like to slide back in easy) and checked behind. All there was was a small plastic loop where the bit sticking off the back of the factory HU sat, but no wires going to said loop (thought maybe it was fancy and inductive) and no other switches in that area left that a mark off.

I'm getting ready to pull the alarm and check the terminals going into it. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for that thing?
Old 08-15-2011, 01:48 AM   #6
bullmand

I've never had a factory stereo and I've never had any problems with the alarm because of it. There is a peg on the back of the stock radios that fits into a socket in the dash, but I believe that's just to support the head unit. I've poked around back there quite a bit and I don't recall ever seeing anything that looked like a switch. Where did the rumor of the switch behind the radio originate? It seems unlikely to me that there would be such a thing anyway. If the alarm is armed you'd already have set it off before you get the stereo. Maybe it's convertible specific? Anyway, the point was I think you may chasing geese with that one.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:07 AM   #7
greennmeen

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullmand View Post
I've never had a factory stereo and I've never had any problems with the alarm because of it. There is a peg on the back of the stock radios that fits into a socket in the dash, but I believe that's just to support the head unit. I've poked around back there quite a bit and I don't recall ever seeing anything that looked like a switch. Where did the rumor of the switch behind the radio originate? It seems unlikely to me that there would be such a thing anyway. If the alarm is armed you'd already have set it off before you get the stereo. Maybe it's convertible specific? Anyway, the point was I think you may chasing geese with that one.
Already chased the goose and came to the same conclusion. I guess the other e36 coupes with the business cd had a nub that toggled a switch, so if you pulled them the alarm would go off.

Seems like a moot point though, if the alarm is armed and the thief is inside the car and it hasn't gone off yet, chances are pulling the stereo isn't going to trip it either.

Still getting that annoying as all bejeezus triple chirp no matter what I do. I'm half tempted to just take it into a dealership and wave my arms a lot.

My SRS light is on, would that have anything to do with it? Maybe a tripped seat occupancy sensor?
Old 08-15-2011, 05:21 AM   #8
pdxmotorhead

My SRS light was on and the alarm worked fine.

At one point I found the rear hatch switch had gave up internally, It has too many wires hooked to it, I suspect it could have seperate circuits for the light and the alarm. I was getting a triple chirp and the light would not go off. Replaced the switch and that fixed it.

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:38 AM   #9
greennmeen

Vehicles
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead View Post
At one point I found the rear hatch switch had gave up internally, It has too many wires hooked to it, I suspect it could have seperate circuits for the light and the alarm.
This is definitely the case. Swapped out the trunk switch (and found several missing panel clips in the process, now it's nice and secure), pressed the button, chirp-cathunk.

CHIRP-CATHUNK!

Pressed disarm...

CHIRP CHIRP CATHUNK *illuminate*

Pressed and held arm...

OH GOD WHAT IS THAT HORRIFIC OH YEAH

So everything works great! Thanks for the tip.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:48 AM   #10
98318ti

Just ordered a new switch from Pelican. Hope it works for me as well.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:38 AM   #11
eurohb

Vehicles

I had the problem too!! There in the brain should be a trunk switch on the brain. Switch it n lemme know, my ti had the same Damn problem lol
eurohb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:01 PM   #12
98318ti

Sorry, not following you. What is the brain? The alarm module? Is there a switch on it?
Old 09-03-2011, 10:52 AM   #13
eurohb

Vehicles

Yes the module and there are switches inside it. Probably under the little latch in the module.
eurohb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:04 PM   #14
98318ti

Default Success

Chalk another one up to the trunk light switch. Got back from up north and it was in the mail so I went out and popped it in. Took less than 2 minutes to pry out the old one and snap in the new on.

Pressed the remote, one chirp doors lock, 2 chirps doors unlock.

Thanks a lot guys. I am very happy to have solved another problem on my list.

Euro, thanks for the explanation, but I am glad I didn't have to dig out the alarm module.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:50 PM   #15
Gigantor33

Thumbs up Finally it works

I have a 98 318ti hatchback, I had read the threads in troubleshooting the three alarm chirps, and yes it was a combination of the hood switch and the light switch on the hatch back. The light works when the hatch is opened or closed, so I unplugged it and tried the remote still got three chirps, so I then decided to manually depress the hood switch as well, and then magic to my ears, chirp doors locked. Have ordered new hatch back light switch from Pelican as mentioned in previous threads, and readjusted hood switch for positive contact. I have an aftermarket radio, and there is No anti theft switch behind it. so that can be taken out of the equation. Like mentioned in the previous thread "Chalk another one up to the trunk light switch" Thanks

Last edited by Gigantor33; 07-27-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Gigantor33 is offline   Reply With Quote