318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exterior

Notices

Exterior From spoilers, lights to body kits and window problems.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
Yesterday 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 949,061 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,648 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 04-21-2003, 06:13 PM   #1
J!m

Vehicles

I'm sure you are all farmilliar with the M3LTW we (well, a lucky few of us) got here in '95. well, naturally, europe got that car (M3GT is the Euro designation) as well as a four-door version.

I took a ride up to Turner Motorsport last Friday to see wether the LTW or GT Sedan rear spoiler fit the ti better.

First thing I'll say: SPEND THE MONEY FOR FACTORY PARTS. They did not have a 'genuine' LTW rear wing on hand, so they dragged out a replica for fitting. This replica was an absolute piece of crap. The base was twisted, and the wing itself had cracks all over it. Oh, yeah: it didn't fit too well either (but that may be partially due to the differences between the sedan and coupe`)...

Then they brought out the factory M3gt sedan wing base. This is a VERY nice piece. very good construction, totally flat (no twist) and fit the rear deck contour perfectly. This is the one to get (if you're crazy like me...).

The forward ends of it overlap the rear window a bit, but it does not need to be cut around the rear wiper (if you have one) as I feared. I'm going to take a good look at it in a few weeks, and try to elegantly fit it over the glass. it also uses adhesive in addition to the bolts to keep it located as well as weather-tight on the deck.

This wing does not come with the extension pieces, as those are NLA from BMW. I managed to find a NOS set, so I will have the option to install them. (FYI: M3GT's did not use the riser blocks as the M3LTW's did).

Price? just under $900.00 with the tax. BUT, I did not pay shipping, which would have been more than the tax. This box is large as well (but not as large as the LTW splitter's box). Oh, yeah. it also comes with a set of filler pieces that go below the regular M3's splitter, on the outer corners. They use the existing mounting holes for the regular splitter, so they are an easy fit. If you did not use them, you could sell them off for a bit of a 'discount' on your purchase price...

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 06:59 AM   #2
fourbanger

Hey Jim,

just the other day I was wondering what one of those wings would look like on a ti (i feel downforce deficient). When you've got the puppy installed can you post a picture please?
Old 04-23-2003, 06:09 PM   #3
J!m

Vehicles

I have a picture of a ti racing on the track with it installed. I will post it on the 'album' section (if it's not too big...).
Old 11-06-2003, 02:40 AM   #4
J!m

Vehicles

That damn wing is still kicking around my house. I have not had time to install it!

I think I'll bring the car down the street to the body shop and have them deal with it. I'm just too damn busy all the time! Maybe a set of M3 side skirts and mirrors too- mide as well paint them all at the same time, right?

I will try to post that picture again...

J!m

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
Old 06-11-2004, 04:56 AM   #5
ElementalFiend

Let me know when you get this thing installed, I'd love to see some more clear pictures of what the wing looks like on a Ti