318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,017,056 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-26-2007, 08:31 AM   #1
robcarync

Default damn speeding tickets

Well gosh darn i got another speeding ticket tonight (last one was during the summer)...

the same thing pretty much happened as my last ticket....i was crusing at about 3 over....waited too late to brake on the hill...got up to 9 over (54)...braked back down to about 44 at the bottom of the hill (in what i thought was a 45 mph zone) but then at the same time as the bottom of the hill is a speed change and it goes from 45 to 35 (i had no clue about that one)

so i guess the cop could have given me a ticket for 54 in a 35 but since i was down to 44 by around the time the zone changed she just gave me 44 in a 35. i suppose i got lucky but it still sucks...i see no benefit for her giving me the ticket (visibility clear, traffic light, weather clear, 1:34am when no one is on the road) but whatever....cant wait to tell my parents, they will be so proud of me

time for a radar detector id say...
Pioneer Speakers [] Aluminum Billet door locks [] ACS Pedals/Deadrest [] ACS Shift Knob / E-Brake Handle [] Clear Corners/Tails/Sides [] Sylvania Exterior Lighting [] Custom CAI [] Dinan Engine Chip [] Dinan Transmission Chip [] H&R Race Springs [] Tokico Illumina Shocks [] BMW X-Brace [] Relocated Lighter Mod [] Custom iPod Mod
http://www.cardomain.com/id/robcarync
robcarync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:13 PM   #2
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Well that sucks man, i'm just glad i've never got one before.

Time to get rid of those lead shoes...lol
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

www.myspace.com/avusblueti
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:42 PM   #3
1996 328ti

Vehicles

I was averaging one a year. Usually hit with laser.
Knock on wood, my last one was two years ago but I dragged it out to last year. So I have another 2 years to clean my record. My insurance company can jack up my rates with one moving violation.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 03:33 PM   #4
robcarync

well the ironic thing i used to have a REALLY BAD lead foot where i would literally drive as fast as traffic would let me....but i kicked that habbit a while ago cause i realized i was being silly and a ticket going say 70 ina 45 would be very bad...

the two tickets ive gotten, both times i wasnt really speeding too bad....i was going 49 in a 45 last night, but combined with the hill and the speed changed, that could have been bumped to 54 in a 35....i was going 54 for all of 2 seconds and i braked down to 47ish cause i realized i was on a hill, then i saw the cop and braked more to 44 and i thought i was good because 100 feet behind me it was 45 mph instead of 35

both of my tickets have been situations where i was crusing at like 3-4 over, but waited too long to brake on a hill, both were in the middle of the night (1:14 am and 1:35am)

its just so ironic that i went like 3 years driving fast as hell and never got a ticket and now that i tried to mature a bit and slow down and i start getting tickets...im so confused!
Pioneer Speakers [] Aluminum Billet door locks [] ACS Pedals/Deadrest [] ACS Shift Knob / E-Brake Handle [] Clear Corners/Tails/Sides [] Sylvania Exterior Lighting [] Custom CAI [] Dinan Engine Chip [] Dinan Transmission Chip [] H&R Race Springs [] Tokico Illumina Shocks [] BMW X-Brace [] Relocated Lighter Mod [] Custom iPod Mod
http://www.cardomain.com/id/robcarync
robcarync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 03:44 PM   #5
ATF

Laser Detectors (you meantioned getting a radar detector) in most cases will be too little too late for a warning system, unless the cop is carelessly shooting other drives and your laser detector manages to catch a stray beam. Also, bring it to court, if it wasn't clearly posted and you felt that you weren't violating the speed limit, you're innocent until proven guilty.
ATF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:25 PM   #6
marleymon

I agree- fight it...if the cop is busy that day or can't make it for any reason...the judge will throw it out. You could also document the speed change distance on the hill and try throwing that in. Speed traps are common though.
I think they make a radar and laser combo detector. Although I agree about "the too little too late" part because once you're hit, you're it.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:39 PM   #7
cdonahue

i lose my license on feb 1st because of too many tickets in a year. it happens a lot quicker than you'd think.

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthrea...ighlight=worst
Old 01-26-2007, 07:14 PM   #8
aceyx

That sucks. In PA, local police can't ticket you unless it's 11mph over the limit (3mph for state troopers).

Take it to court, dress nice and apologize. Say you were going down a hill and the engine started coasting (you're not used to automatics, you usually let the engine brake), and you hit the brakes a little late when you noticed the speed change. They might waive the points for you and just hit you with the fine. Because of the speed change, it might just be a revenue area for them.

If you get pulled over again, try and show remorse. That's all the cop wants to see; everybody makes mistakes.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:09 AM   #9
bmvw

I went thru Cary once & my impression was it's a police state, cops on every road.
bmvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 07:59 AM   #10
m3outtanowhere

Got pulled over today. First ticket in a while. Cop asked me to roll windows up. Tint ticket (Stock; no tint?) Then (as calmly as I could asked how fast I was going) He would not answer me. I didnt really read the ticket; just signed it. I looked at the ticket tonight...the ticket is for 107. My Speed Notification is ALWAYS set at 100 and it never beeped. I was at 95 when I noticed the cop.

Looks like Im going to court again
Old 01-27-2007, 09:31 AM   #11
zboot

I got pulled over for the first time almost two weeks ago. I was operating my bicycle along a city road at night without appropriate lights. I got away with being ticketed because my FL driver's license was really new and not in their system . .. and because I was not carrying any ID on me. . . and because I was new to FL. As I bike away, I pass another cop who has his lights off in a speed trap. That road is not a main road for tallahassee and good for getting up to speed in a bicycle. . . much less a car. . . I'm glad I learned where a couple of the speed traps near my Apt are located.

I've come close to getting pulled over twice in the past. Once while driving to Dulles airport in my mom's Chevy Lumina, a cop pulls up next to me and uses her bullhorn to tell me I was going too fast. I look down at the speedo and it's right at the speed limit. I figure that either its inaccurate or the cop was giving me a hard time because it was raining. . . either way, I slowed down and made sure not to pass her again. . . maybe that's what set her off the first time.

The other time, In Rochester, I was on 590 heading towards Pittsford after a snowstorm. The roads were pretty clear and safe for driving though it had started up snowing again that evening. I was probably doing 75 in a 55 zone. I was actually going a little slower before. . around 60-65 when I see someone behind me approaching what seemed to be pretty fast given the limited visibility that the falling snow was causing that late at night. So, as the person looks like they're coming close to riding my bumper, I'm speeding up and looking for a clean merge into another lane that won't take me off somewhere else. . . like onto 490 into downtown rochester where i'd have to turn around to get to where I was going. Turns out that the "tailer" was a cop. Flashes lights, people around us slow - including me, pulls up next to me and asks if I know how fast I was going and if I knew it was snowing. I figured, if a cop has to ask, perhaps, I really don't know, and I answer in the negative. Cop then asks if I'm new to the area. Again, I take the opening and say, "yes". Cop says, ok, slow down and drive safely, this place can get dangerous in this weather and time of night. I slow down some more, and creep along to my exit at 40mph like the peon I'd become.
zboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 04:13 AM   #12
drrty byl

I got a ticket driving my girlfriend's car last night and I wasn't even speeding. The cop originally claimed I was going "77 or 78" in a 65 and then I told him "there was no way I was going that fast". He said nothing and returned, citation in hand with an alleged speed of 76 in a 65. I'm definitely going to fight it. Anyone had luck beating a miswritten speeding ticket?
drrty byl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 04:45 AM   #13
momorugger

well, they do make laser detectors, but they will only let you know if the cop has already gunned you. the only real defense is a laser jammer. I don't know in
which states they are legal, but I do know they are legal in New Mexico. any laser detector is just a waste of money, it just lets you know you are about to get a ticket
momorugger is offline   Reply With Quote