318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exhausts

Notices

Exhausts Aftermarket exhaust discussions.

» Recent Threads
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,467 Views
Brakes - soft pedal and...
04-14-2024 01:02 PM
Last post by bcp
04-14-2024 01:09 PM
1 Replies, 2,337 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 10-21-2005, 04:28 AM   #1
cali-ti
aka Stabby

Default Anyone replaced the cat themselves?

Has anyone replaced the catalytic converter themselves? I'm wondering how ugly it is to disconnect the header from the pipe to the cat here (parts 2, 7 and 8):

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...86&hg=11&fg=50
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 04:50 AM   #2
mischief

well handtools well strip the bolts so use a air gun
its not hard
mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 05:00 AM   #3
cali-ti
aka Stabby

my bolts/screws that attach there are completely rusted. i doubt there are threads there at all ... the ends of the bolts/screws are basically rusty blobs. i don't have a compressor ... yet. i figure i'll need to drop the cat/exhaust when i go to do the flywheel/clutch so i'm trying to figure out what else i'll need to get the job done. i'm doubting an air wrench will get them off either. i can't post pics until i get back home next thursday or friday.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

Old 10-21-2005, 07:44 AM   #4
Viper3812

I had the pipe cut off for mine and put a clamp on.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...er3812/Sig.jpg
Viper3812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 11:12 AM   #5
cali-ti
aka Stabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper3812
I had the pipe cut off for mine and put a clamp on.
yikers! i was hoping i'd be able to cut the bolts/screws off and then pound them out or something, but space is so limited in there ...

i really hadn't planned on getting a new exaust manifold/headers

Old 10-21-2005, 07:49 PM   #6
aceyx

Try using bolt-outs. I have a pair of roller-style I'd be willing to lend you but I think the grip-type would work better.

Depending on how rusted they are, you could just bang on 'em with a hammer until stuff falls apart. BTDT.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:10 PM   #7
mischief

if its that bad then you should spray the bolts with some PB blaster to get some of the rust off clean the rust with a wire brush then heat the nut you can buy a small torch at any hardware store
http://www.ge.uiuc.edu/ge342/equippic/torch.jpg
this works very good
mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 10:29 PM   #8
cali-ti
aka Stabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyx
Try using bolt-outs. I have a pair of roller-style I'd be willing to lend you but I think the grip-type would work better.

Depending on how rusted they are, you could just bang on 'em with a hammer until stuff falls apart. BTDT.
i'll have to search out some "bolt-outs" on ebay or another source. you have any recommended brands/specific products in mind? i'd rather just get my own than try to work a lending deal

Old 10-21-2005, 10:35 PM   #9
cali-ti
aka Stabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischief
if its that bad then you should spray the bolts with some PB blaster to get some of the rust off clean the rust with a wire brush then heat the nut you can buy a small torch at any hardware store
http://www.ge.uiuc.edu/ge342/equippic/torch.jpg
this works very good
i have a torch just like that that i've never used, lol. any good purchasing source for PB Blaster? i've read about this stuff when i googled "bolt-out" ... they seem to go well together

Old 10-21-2005, 11:37 PM   #10
stormos

i used penetrating oil on my callipers, 4 days of trying with wd40, a day with the oil stuff and off came what needed to come off
Mods: • Magnex Cat-Back Exhaust • Smoked Corner Lights + Repeators • M3 17" Wheels • De-Baffled Air Box • AC HandBrake Handle and Gear Knob • DEPO Euro Epsiloids + Predator Chronium Rings • Chrome Interior bits •IE Poly-Urethane RSFMs • Kenwood Power Series Audio • Powder Coated e36 325 Front Callipers • Sports Seats
stormos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 12:03 AM   #11
aceyx

Know what WD40 stands for and you'll know what it's not good for. PB Blaster is also my personal pick, but some people swear by Kroil and others.

Here is a set of bolt removers. The Irwins are usually available at any Lowe's/HD. Sears also carries their house brand, but I'm not a fan of Craftsman stuff.

I'm thinking it might actually be easier to snap the heads off the bolts, and just use new ones since you probably don't want to use the old rusted ones anyway. Just crank the heck out of 'em and they'll probably go.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:37 AM   #12
cali-ti
aka Stabby

Quote:
Know what WD40 stands for and you'll know what it's not good for. PB Blaster is also my personal pick, but some people swear by Kroil and others.
true! WaterDisplacement ... doesn't help too much when this are already rusted straight to hell.
Quote:
Here is a set of bolt removers. The Irwins are usually available at any Lowe's/HD. Sears also carries their house brand, but I'm not a fan of Craftsman stuff.

I'm thinking it might actually be easier to snap the heads off the bolts, and just use new ones since you probably don't want to use the old rusted ones anyway. Just crank the heck out of 'em and they'll probably go.
lol ... yeah, i definitely don't plan to reuse the bolts/screws! you'll really find it amusing once i get back home and post a pic of what they currently look like i'm wondering if my current air wrench would even fit in the limited space. if so, i wonder if it would be worth getting a small air compressor (i wanted to avoid it until we had a house so i could get a stand-up air compressor for the garage). looks like i'll have even more tools here before too long, lol.

i'll keep my eye out for a deal on those irwins or something equivalent. the flywheel/clutch combo is probably at least a year away. i'm not sure i want to do a pre-emptive strike on those bolts to get 'em prepped ... although it would make access to the shifter easier for installing the short shift kit i'm planning to get. then i'll use lubro-moly copper anti-seize on the bolts and nuts when i re-assemble to (hopefully) keep it from going down the same rusty path. are there any hardened steel bolts/nuts or anything that would resist the effects of high temps, road salt, etc to not rust?

thanks everybody for the suggestions!

Old 11-03-2005, 04:17 AM   #13
cali-ti
aka Stabby

here are some pics of my future removal hell:

http://www.318ti.org/gallery/showpho...to=878&cat=530
http://www.318ti.org/gallery/showpho...to=879&cat=530

Old 11-03-2005, 06:38 AM   #14
aceyx

Holy monkey, that's horrible.

PB-Blaster it overnight, and for about an hour in the morning. Wipe it down, then give it a go.

Hammers and blowtorches are nice to have. Just make sure it's dry of penetrating spray (not sure if that stuff is flammable or not) and stay away from the fuel lines (duh).
Old 11-03-2005, 03:50 PM   #15
cali-ti
aka Stabby

Quote:
Holy monkey, that's horrible.

PB-Blaster it overnight, and for about an hour in the morning. Wipe it down, then give it a go.

Hammers and blowtorches are nice to have. Just make sure it's dry of penetrating spray (not sure if that stuff is flammable or not) and stay away from the fuel lines (duh).

Eric, you should just snap those suckers off. Either overtighten (you'll probably want to use a new gasket anyway) or just crank it with a breaker bar.
i'm sure i'll use some combination of your suggestions, perhaps ALL of them! LOL

luckily, the fuel lines are on the other side of the car. hopefully it won't come to torches, but we'll see when i actually go to do it. i have new BOLTS (not those damn screws) nuts and a gasket coming. i also have a set of the bolt removers you pointed me to on the way (the irwin ones). gonna be fun, i just know it!