318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Interior and ICE

Notices

Interior and ICE For all interior and In Car Entertainment discussion.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 99,239 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 62,197 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 59,464 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 02-07-2001, 09:53 PM   #1
Dan Burger

Has anyone upgraded from stock speakers/components and know the sizes? I know the front kick panels are 5 1/4, but what about the rear deck speakers? and the door tweaters?

How about with MINOR modification to the openings - anyone have some warnings/suggestions?

Thanks
Dan Burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2001, 10:43 PM   #2
ayton

the rears are 4". check out Crutchfield they are great for information and they have a lot of choices.Even if you don't buy from them at least you know what your looking for when you get to the local store.I'm going to be doing an upgrade soon myself and I will post the results.Also when upgrading the rear try looking for a components package.( alittle more expensive but worth it)

Good luck
ayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2001, 07:52 PM   #3
Dan Burger

thanks for the info. I checked the crutchfield page and all they ID for the ti is 5 1/4 for the front kick panel. Are you sure the rear is 4" stock, or will I have to do some cutting?
Dan Burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 05:01 PM   #4
bmwtinut

Vehicles

Dan, i had the rear speakers out this past weekend. They do look like 4" The only problem is that they are mounted to some sort of mounting ring/plate that does not have a standard speaker screw config. The speaker is actually mounted to the plate by tabs and glue. It looks like to mountnew ones in the rear that there needs to be an adapter plate made.
Right now I am trying to figure out what wires are from the head unit that go into the amp. I am intstalling an amplified bazooka tube and need to tap into the rear L and R channnels before they go into the amp? Anyone know this?

------------------
Todd Davis
'95 Club Sport
'83 320i
bmwtinut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 06:37 PM   #5
ayton

Bmwtinut....use snap jumpers to tap into the signal. Another route you can try is changing out the factory radio to an aftermarket Alpine unit(they supply BMW)with pre outs and cd shuttle control(if you have a factory cd changer). then run RCA cables to the amp. This is the route I'm going the radio I've found is about $219 at my local Circuit City. It's a cleaner intall and less chance of messing anything up.
ayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 04:06 AM   #6
AlexBimz

if the adaptor plate is installed, would 4" 2-way speakers fit in the rear or would they be too deep to fit and 4" component still be the only option? Also for the front (the 5.25"), is it possible to put 2way speakers and delete the door tweeters, therefore only wiring an amp to four 2 way speakers. im new to the whole speaker game, completely clueless. thanks.

Stock 1996 318ti Sport
AlexBimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:12 AM   #7
newagecustoms

i switched to 5.25 in the rear, I made my own "adapters" (they are alittle crude, but they work, no cutting involved, will never be seen unless someone else takes the speakers out, and only cost me a couple of dollars). I don't have any pics on the computer, but I can probably take some if your interested in moving up to 5.25"
newagecustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:58 AM   #8
Marv17

yeah. show us a diagram of what you did or explain. lets see how you managed to pull it off with 5.25"
Marv17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:22 AM   #9
L84THSKY

I posted pics of my rear speaker upgrade. Put in 5 1/4 Diamond Audio speakers, sounds great. Had to buy adapters to make them fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv17 View Post
yeah. show us a diagram of what you did or explain. lets see how you managed to pull it off with 5.25"

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:55 PM   #10
newagecustoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv17 View Post
I'll pull one out tonight when I get home from work and take some pics.
newagecustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:58 PM   #11
tiFreak

Vehicles

If you look in the knowledge base someone did a walkthrough on that.
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 06:21 AM   #12
bimmern00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84THSKY View Post
I posted pics of my rear speaker upgrade. Put in 5 1/4 Diamond Audio speakers, sounds great. Had to buy adapters to make them fit.

L84THSKY, where did you find these adapters and what are the adapters called, maybe a part / model number? Also, what year ti do you have, as the rear speaker decks look smaller in my 97 than yours does. I have been trying to figure out a good configuration and I have already 6x9's to put in a shelf I got off of ebay but I am considering keeping the stock look of the car as well. And this 10 speaker setup has me scratching my head as far as to what to do for amp(s) setup...
bimmern00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 06:38 AM   #13
L84THSKY

Follow this thread.

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthrea...eaker+adapters

There was only ONE dealer in the USA selling these adapters. The price was cheap, but supplies were scarce. I bought the only set he had. Hopefully, he has more of them now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmern00b View Post
L84THSKY, where did you find these adapters and what are the adapters called, maybe a part / model number? Also, what year ti do you have, as the rear speaker decks look smaller in my 97 than yours does. I have been trying to figure out a good configuration and I have already 6x9's to put in a shelf I got off of ebay but I am considering keeping the stock look of the car as well. And this 10 speaker setup has me scratching my head as far as to what to do for amp(s) setup...

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote