318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Wheels and Tires

Notices

Wheels and Tires Discussion of different brands of tires, sizes and wheels.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
Yesterday 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 961,098 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,861 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 04-04-2005, 03:06 PM   #1
L84THSKY

Default Steering wheel shakes @ 40 MPH

As I have mentioned recently, I've installed rims and tires on my car. The one odd thing is this little shaking the steering wheel does @ about 40MPH. This wasn't happening with the original wheels I had just removed. It doesn't do it above or below this speed. The tire shop that installed my rims and tires said one of my rims is out of round. I plan to exchange that rim soon, but want to be sure what is causing the problem. The rim that has a problem was moved from the front right, to thr rear right, and the problem didn't really go away.

A friend of mine said that the extra weight of the rims might cause the problem. He said that there are steering dampers that might be causing the problem due to the extra weight.

I plan on swapping the original wheels in the front, and driving it for awhile, to see if the wobble goes away. Then I can determine that the problem was with the front wheels. I still won't know if it's the weight issue, or if the front wheels have problems.

I hate when one shop blames the parts or work from another shop/supplier. If it is a balance issue, then I want the tire shop to own up and fix it.

One final point, if the wheel is out of round, shouldn't a wheel balance compensate for this problem, atleast if the wheel isn't too bad?

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 04:48 PM   #2
pdxmotorhead

BMW's use Hub centric rims.
Honda's have a similar problem.
I'm sure there are others.

Good tire shops have some little widgets made of plastic called hub centrics
that go on your hub to act as a center/shim to fill in the difference between
your hub diameter and the diameter of the wheel center hole. Otherwise
you can end up with the wheel being offset a few thousands and it will
vibrate or rumble.

Good Luck
Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 04:51 PM   #3
96cali

I've always been told that out of round cannot be fixed. Maybe masked, but the tire will rumble and deteriorate faster.

96cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 04:51 PM   #4
AutoM3otives

steering dampner might have gone out.

also, on my old 190e, I had plus size wheels/tires and crossdrilled rotors. braking from above 60mph would cause the steering wheel to shake alot. this was due to warped rotors. don't know if its the same thing as your situation but maybe that'll help.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:40 PM   #5
L84THSKY

Hey Dave

I like your answer

The rims did come with these 4 orange plastic rings, but I didn't have them put on. Maybe that is the problem. The tire shop said I might need them, after I explained I had them.

That is easy enough to check, they will put them on for free.

As for the rim, seems replacing might be hard. The exchange rate has hurt imports on European rims. I'm not even sure the original retailer carries this brand anymore.

Thanks
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
BMW's use Hub centric rims.
Honda's have a similar problem.
I'm sure there are others.

Good tire shops have some little widgets made of plastic called hub centrics
that go on your hub to act as a center/shim to fill in the difference between
your hub diameter and the diameter of the wheel center hole. Otherwise
you can end up with the wheel being offset a few thousands and it will
vibrate or rumble.

Good Luck
Dave

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
Old 04-04-2005, 06:44 PM   #6
L84THSKY

What do you mean steering dampner gone out? The wheels I had on the car previously where OEM 15" rims. This problem was not happening with them. Could the steering dampner have "gone out" because of the new rims/tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoM3otives
steering dampner might have gone out.

also, on my old 190e, I had plus size wheels/tires and crossdrilled rotors. braking from above 60mph would cause the steering wheel to shake alot. this was due to warped rotors. don't know if its the same thing as your situation but maybe that'll help.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 04-04-2005, 06:54 PM   #7
city

Are the rims new or used? If they are used you may have a bent rim.
DASC•Custom Black Leather Interior w/ Silver Inserts•AC Schnizter:Pedals/Shift Knob/E-Brake Handle•Aluminum Gauge Faces•Alpine Speakers/Tweeters•Custom False Floor System•K&N Filter•Hi-Flow Z3/ti 97’•M3 Clutch•Lightweight Flywheel•Turner Motorsports SSK•H&R Race Springs•Racing Dynamics:Front Strut Brace/Sway Bar/Shocks/Bodykit/Rear Spoiler•Brembo Cross-Drilled Rotors•Supersprint Exhaust•19” Seducer Wheels•M3 Mirrors•Clear Corner Lights/Side Markers•Euro Taillights•DZUZ Fastened•3.73 LSD
city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 07:00 PM   #8
L84THSKY

Rims were brand new in the box. Tires were used Dunlop Sport 8000 235/45/17.

Quote:
Originally Posted by city
Are the rims new or used? If they are used you may have a bent rim.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 04-04-2005, 08:15 PM   #9
pdxmotorhead

You might ask how the tire shop knows they are out of round,
If they spun them on your car and they weren't centered on
the hub they would wobble as if out of round. I would see if they
can take the tire off and do a runout test on the rim.

You might have notice my side not about honda's having this problem.
we went through two sets of rims at the shop, thinking they weren't
tru or out of round. My wife was chasing the problem and asked the guy
why you couldn't see the rims wobble on the balancer but you could on the car.

There were some red faces at the shop when they figured it out...
My wife was pretty pleased with herself....

Dave
Old 04-04-2005, 09:49 PM   #10
L84THSKY

What actually happened was, he said he noticed when balancing the wheel, it was out of round. He showed me by putting the wheel on the tire balancer, and seeing the rim wabble when spun slowly.

But this begs the question. If he was to put the shim on the so called "out of round" rim, then put it on the wheel balancer, would I have seen the wabble?

Should wheels be balanced on the wheel balancer with or without the shims?

Quote:

Dave

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 04-04-2005, 09:55 PM   #11
sKunkman

Quote:

Dave
What was the problem/solution?
sKunkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 09:56 PM   #12
pdxmotorhead

I'd make sure the balancer is a hub centric balancer, some use a
mechanism that centers on the lugs, you shouldn't need the shims
on the balancer, usually they use cone shaped centering anvils
to make sure the rim is centered. Assuming that it does , it sounds
like the rims are out of true....

How old are the rims? I'd expect warrantee coverage if they are new.

Good luck...

Dave
Old 04-04-2005, 09:59 PM   #13
pdxmotorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sKunkman
What was the problem/solution?
They put the plastic shims on the hubs and installed the wheels.
Smooth as silk after that.

Funny thing was all the technicians knew about the problem with
the hondas and all of them involved missed that they weren't used.

Just a case of mass forgetfulness....

Dave
Old 04-04-2005, 10:43 PM   #14
bmw///m3///

my cars steering wheel shacked at 40 mph, mech said it was the lf balljoint getting some play in it. it eventually make my tire unbalanced after not fixing it.
bmw///m3/// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 12:15 AM   #15
dodj

I had the same problem. A wheel balance and allignment fixed the problem. Also, make sure your tyres are always at the recommended PSI.
dodj is offline   Reply With Quote