318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exterior

Notices

Exterior From spoilers, lights to body kits and window problems.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 96,579 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 59,586 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 56,913 Views
M50+manual swap bastard...
03-01-2024 11:00 PM
Last post by Andy318
03-18-2024 02:34 PM
3 Replies, 131,957 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 08-05-2005, 11:31 PM   #1
robcarync

Default euro front plate

maybe i am a moron, but how do you install a euro front plate?

i ordered the classic style from bavauto and it comes with a universal mounting bracket. question is, how the hell do you mount this thing?

on my car i have the little strip...which has a mount for a US sized plate, but the euro brakcet doesnt fit? do i have to buy a new front bumper strip for the euro plate? do i take off the bumper strip and screw the euro 'universal mount' that bavauto sent me to the bumper in place of the strip?

none of the holes seem to line up in the current strip...

i searched and couldnt really find any close up pics to show how its mounted so im not sure!
Pioneer Speakers [] Aluminum Billet door locks [] ACS Pedals/Deadrest [] ACS Shift Knob / E-Brake Handle [] Clear Corners/Tails/Sides [] Sylvania Exterior Lighting [] Custom CAI [] Dinan Engine Chip [] Dinan Transmission Chip [] H&R Race Springs [] Tokico Illumina Shocks [] BMW X-Brace [] Relocated Lighter Mod [] Custom iPod Mod
http://www.cardomain.com/id/robcarync
robcarync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 11:58 PM   #2
ArcticFlow

You should have bought a European Front plate bracket with your plate from BavAuto. Like your U.S. Spec bracket holds a standard plate size, a Euro bracket is longer and slimmer and only a euro plate will fit it (its a direct replacement from the U.S. bracket, and is mounted by simply popping out the old U.S. bracket with a flat blade screw driver and pulling it off, the Euro bracket will snap in the way the U.S. bracket popped out, its very very simple and easy). The universal mounting bracket you got with the plate screws to the Euro mounting bracket that snaps into your bumper. The mounting holes in the universal bracket you got with the plate wont line up very well with the Euro replacement bracket, i don't really know why that is, but its a little off and only the upper and outter-most holes in the universal bracket will even line up correctly, however, it will mount about a 1/8 inch higher than it should, bending the very top portion of the universal bracket just slightly. After you've installed both the euro plate bracket and the universal holder, there are 4 clips at the very bottom of the universal holder that you simply push in with a screw driver and after they are all pushed in, the front face of teh universal holer should fold out and up, then just slide the Euro plate in the 4 sets of tiny holders in the bracket, then fold the face of the bracet down, and snap it into place. It seems like a lot b/c I included a lot of detail to make sure u dont get confused, but its very simple and will only take you about 5 min to do it, it took me longer b/c I couldnt find how the holes lined up right in order to screw the plate holder into the plate bracket. Good Luck, and order you a Euro Plate Bracket from BavAuto, it will be in the same section where you bought the plate, retails for about $20.
ArcticFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 12:08 AM   #3
stormos

i unfortuently have no choice on the long plate matter..... heh

UK rules... 1k fine if it ain't right size, shape, colour, etc....
Mods: • Magnex Cat-Back Exhaust • Smoked Corner Lights + Repeators • M3 17" Wheels • De-Baffled Air Box • AC HandBrake Handle and Gear Knob • DEPO Euro Epsiloids + Predator Chronium Rings • Chrome Interior bits •IE Poly-Urethane RSFMs • Kenwood Power Series Audio • Powder Coated e36 325 Front Callipers • Sports Seats
stormos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 12:15 AM   #4
robcarync

awesome thanks man!

yeah i figured out how the plate fits in the bracket...but i realized there was no place to mount the bracket too...so i was thinking maybe i was supposed to buy a replacement strip for the bumper!

thanks tons man!
Pioneer Speakers [] Aluminum Billet door locks [] ACS Pedals/Deadrest [] ACS Shift Knob / E-Brake Handle [] Clear Corners/Tails/Sides [] Sylvania Exterior Lighting [] Custom CAI [] Dinan Engine Chip [] Dinan Transmission Chip [] H&R Race Springs [] Tokico Illumina Shocks [] BMW X-Brace [] Relocated Lighter Mod [] Custom iPod Mod
http://www.cardomain.com/id/robcarync
robcarync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:40 PM   #5
///MptyPockets

Can you buy the euro license plate bracket for the front bumper from bavauto PN: 51 11 8 165 146 and buy a euro plate elsewhere and attach it to it? Or do you need the "mounting bracket" too?

/Derrick
///MptyPockets is offline   Reply With Quote