318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 98,692 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 61,545 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 58,926 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 04-26-2008, 06:39 AM   #1
clex2

Default Unstable Idle on warm/HOT days????

Anyone have this problem (M42):

On cool days car runs like a champ. When the weather is warmer or frankly hot, the engine obviously needs more cooling. What I have noticed, and it was pretty bad today, is that when the electric cooling fan kicks on, the electric drain from the fan causes the engine to stumble, but not stall and the ICV compensates for the dip in RPM and brings the engine speed back up to normal. I'm guessing the alternator is called into action to drive the electric fan motor, increasing parasitic drag on the motor. I just wouldn't expect it to be so pronounced and annoying. There have been a handful of times when the car has stalled, but the A/C was on and I was turning and using the power steering.

Anyone think it's a bad alternator? bad eletric fan motor? ICV?
'95 330ti CS w/sr delete, S50USB30, cams, 24# inj, Conforti SW, Euro HFM, Samco Silicone Intake Boot, BBTB, Euro Oil Cooler, JTD CAI Duct, RE DMS exhaust, RE Tranny mounts, CF Valve Cover, LTW flywheel/Kevlar sprung hub clutch, RE SSK, 3.46 Finned LSD (M6) , M3 tranny, Brembos, RE Wheel Studs, SS brake/clutch lines, CF interior, Rear Headrest retrofit, Tilt Steering retrofit, 13.5 lb DynaBatt in rear, LED interior/footwell lights, ZKW HID, Headlight Aim Control, Rear fog light w/cluster indicator, CF 3 Aux gauge pod, BMW Traffic Pro/Alpine MP3-CD Changer, Staggered LTW wheels, '95 M3 steering rack, VIS CF Hood, M3 LTW Strut Bar, TCK SA coilovers, Red LTW Motorsport Seatbelts, OEM Fire Extinguisher, Z8 Starter button, Auto dim rear view mirror w/ Homelink/Compass, PDC, Rear Sun Shade, Euro Gauge Cluster w/oil temp/shift light , Headlight Washers, "Motorsport" Door Handles, CF Grills, French ZKW Fogs, Euro dash bins, Power Lumbar Support is next, Coming e39 M5 interior light, Bimmer Magazine 8/2007
clex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:55 AM   #2
wolferj-RIP

My best guess is ICV. Bad alternator wouldn't produce that kind of drag (unless the bearings have gone bad) and a bad fan motor just couldn't produce that kind of drain... Another thought is maybe the bearings on the belt tensioners?

On further pondering, it most likely is a combination of two or more things... nothing you've mentioned would cause this by itself.

One quick question... Do you have multiple ti's? Your signature car sure doesn't have a an M42...

(I also would love to see the Z8 remote starter button and how you installed it... I'm in the east bay, maybe I could come and drool?)
James 95 active w/leather interior and sport interior conversion, Vaders, full M-Tech exterior conversion. Now m50 swapped* Eibach sway bars, D2 Coilovers, Depo's w/AE's, blacked-out sides and grills, LeatherZ console and door armrests, 1 series starter button mod, and custom finished Style 5's <--- in this color! Named "Roddy": *M50 6 cyl. swap with fan delete, S50 cams and chip, AFE stage 2 intake, M3 clutch and 11.5 lb Fidanza flywheel, 3.15LSD, battery relocated to rear and complete custom exhaust. Sweet! 97 318ti sport, Alaska Blue, Contours, coilovers, Dove Vaders and custom black/grey interior named "Max" 95 318ti Active in Cosmos, S50 swap in progress... named "Pit" SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE! Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
wolferj-RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 07:29 AM   #3
clex2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolferj View Post
My best guess is ICV. Bad alternator wouldn't produce that kind of drag (unless the bearings have gone bad) and a bad fan motor just couldn't produce that kind of drain... Another thought is maybe the bearings on the belt tensioners?

On further pondering, it most likely is a combination of two or more things... nothing you've mentioned would cause this by itself.

One quick question... Do you have multiple ti's? Your signature car sure doesn't have a an M42...

(I also would love to see the Z8 remote starter button and how you installed it... I'm in the east bay, maybe I could come and drool?)
Yes, I have two ti's. 330ti sig car and 318tia DD. Look in my gallery. You can come by anytime to talk about cars. PM me and we can meet up.
'95 330ti CS w/sr delete, S50USB30, cams, 24# inj, Conforti SW, Euro HFM, Samco Silicone Intake Boot, BBTB, Euro Oil Cooler, JTD CAI Duct, RE DMS exhaust, RE Tranny mounts, CF Valve Cover, LTW flywheel/Kevlar sprung hub clutch, RE SSK, 3.46 Finned LSD (M6) , M3 tranny, Brembos, RE Wheel Studs, SS brake/clutch lines, CF interior, Rear Headrest retrofit, Tilt Steering retrofit, 13.5 lb DynaBatt in rear, LED interior/footwell lights, ZKW HID, Headlight Aim Control, Rear fog light w/cluster indicator, CF 3 Aux gauge pod, BMW Traffic Pro/Alpine MP3-CD Changer, Staggered LTW wheels, '95 M3 steering rack, VIS CF Hood, M3 LTW Strut Bar, TCK SA coilovers, Red LTW Motorsport Seatbelts, OEM Fire Extinguisher, Z8 Starter button, Auto dim rear view mirror w/ Homelink/Compass, PDC, Rear Sun Shade, Euro Gauge Cluster w/oil temp/shift light , Headlight Washers, "Motorsport" Door Handles, CF Grills, French ZKW Fogs, Euro dash bins, Power Lumbar Support is next, Coming e39 M5 interior light, Bimmer Magazine 8/2007
Old 06-19-2008, 07:54 AM   #4
clex2

As luck would have it, my starter went totally out recently. Had the car towed to Edge Motorworks in Dublin, where they replaced my starter and while they were at it, I gave them a new ICV and hoses to put in.

The new starter sounds great. No more loose bearing sound on start up. After several hot days, I can confirm that the new ICV has solved the idle surge problem. The rpm do dip a bit at idle when the radiator fan turns on, but it dips and stays steady. No more bouncing, almost stalling idle. The old ICV had been cleaned out, but with little improvement. Maybe it wasn't reacting fast enough to the change in load.

However, another prolem still exists, and I guess must not be related to the ICV. With the AC on, after gently accelerating and letting off the gas, if and when the off throotle rpm drops to about 1500 rpm, the idle bounces several hundered rpm up and down while the car is coasting. You can feel the slight surging from this rpm fluctuation. As the car slows, the rpm stabilizes and goes to a normal idle as you come to stop. If you get off throttle at a higher rpm and speed and the rpm drops to anything above 1500-2000 rpm, there is no rpm fluctation.

Possible culprits might be:
1) Ac compressor and/or associated electrical gear
2) Ac clutch?
3) Auto Tranny?

Anyone have any other ideas as to what this could be? I 'm glad I solved at least one of the idile issues.