318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 987,069 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 02-06-2009, 04:34 AM   #1
mrnine

Default Steering Wander - Tie Rods?

I'm trying to confirm my issue. I think it could be tie rods. Could it also be stabilizer bushings?

1998 318ti; 158k

Symptom: Steering wanders here and there. Particularly noticeable on highway, especially slightly uneven surface such as freeway with dip in pavement caused by semi traffic. When I change lanes, it feels like driving a boat cresting a wake. Steering drifts slightly and I have to countersteer to correct. Nothing too crazy, just not as tight as it used to be.

Recent work: Control arms and control arm bushings have been replaced. Bent wheels have been straightened and refinished. New tires. This made absolutely no difference.

A mechanic said he noticed stabilizer bushings appeared "cut." But isn't that sort of how they come? My reading tells me this is most likely in the tie rod, tie rod end, steering knuckle area.

Any thoughts?
mrnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:56 AM   #2
Maverix

Vehicles

My car is doing the same thing now. Started doing it once I put on the new rims.
They were "Keepin it Real" when they introduced the 318ti ClubSport in '95 and the 318ti Sports from '96 to '99.
After that... well nothing else really matters.
~Jess
Maverix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:17 AM   #3
1CivetDei2

need an alignment
1CivetDei2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:26 AM   #4
themightyquinn

mrnine, my ti is doing exactly the same thing...almost completely lost control this afternoon when I changed lanes and hit a sloping pothole.

I was thinking tie-rods too, but like Maverix I noticed exactly how bad it was when I first put some 17x8 wheels on last July. I was also thinking it could be really really bad control arm bushings/ball joints, but apparently you got that fixed and your symptoms continued.

Good luck though, we can keep eachother posted on our findings.

Current euro: Black MkIII VW Gti VR6
themightyquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:28 AM   #5
spidertri

Vehicles

With wider wheels/tires your car will track differently. There is more rubber to turn so things tend to be more noticeable.

I seem to recall a thread talking about subframe bushings being shot and making the car feel like a boat. I'm going to try and find it.

Edit - found this thread that talks about subframe bushings and how they make the car feel. Says that it makes the rear feel like it's not following the front. For you guys that is probably not the case.

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthrea...frame+bushings

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:47 AM   #6
dave45056

The sway bar bushings are a split design, so nothing wrong there.

I am going to say your problem is in the rear of the car. I had the same problem, then replaced the rear subframe bushings and trailing arm bushings. Now all is well.
dave45056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:53 AM   #7
themightyquinn

While I don't doubt you, dave, I just find it really, really hard to believe that me having to wrestle the steering wheel to keep the car going where I want it to go is a result of the rear being out of whack.

Wouldn't the subframe being toast result in a feeling of the rear not following the front? Not something directly steering-input related?

Old 02-06-2009, 03:31 PM   #8
campaiar

Doing the tie-rods would complete your front suspension refresh, plus they are cheap if you install them yourself.

Looking forward to changing out the rear bushings, but I haven't done it yet.
M3 S52 3.2 I-6 Engine, M3 Clutch w/ ti Getrag Trans, Z3 3.15 LSD medium case diff and half shafts, OEM Hatch Spoiler, Eurosport HP Underdrive Pulleys, FDM, 17" DS1 rims, M3 Front Struts & Springs, M3 Instrument Cluster, 3-spoke //M steering wheel with tri-color stitching, SSK, CCFL Angels in Depo projectors with 5k HIDs
campaiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:36 PM   #9
mrnine

Forgot to mention it but an alignment was done. Matter of fact, it was done twice because I told them I was concerned that they didn't quite get it right after they did control arms and bushings.

Also, this isn't a tire change of any sort. They're the same brand/size tires I have always had on it.
mrnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:10 PM   #10
Xenocide

could be your steering rack......
Old 02-06-2009, 11:09 PM   #11
aceyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by themightyquinn View Post
While I don't doubt you, dave, I just find it really, really hard to believe that me having to wrestle the steering wheel to keep the car going where I want it to go is a result of the rear being out of whack.

Wouldn't the subframe being toast result in a feeling of the rear not following the front? Not something directly steering-input related?
The rear wheels are going to steer on their own. Basically, tires will steer a car in whatever direction they're pointed (it's a friction thing). Generally, they steer forward neutrally.

If everything is okay out back, the wheels are pointed forward, and you get no thrust-steering from the rear wheels. If they're out of whack, they'll track a little differently.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:22 AM   #12
Maverix

Vehicles

Basically the steering feels overly sensitive. You drive over a pebble, and it will either push or pull in that direction. It doesn't matter which side it's on. I can feel the turbulence from other cars, causing me to counter steer. I'm afraid aligning it will not solve our problem, but I'll go ahead and do it next week.
They were "Keepin it Real" when they introduced the 318ti ClubSport in '95 and the 318ti Sports from '96 to '99.
~Jess
Old 02-08-2009, 02:52 AM   #13
themightyquinn

^Haha, maybe if we each take one component of the steering/suspension eventually someone's problems will go away.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:44 AM   #14
dave45056

Quinn, The way the rear affects on center feel is simple... it's called rear steer and is caused by the trailing arm bushings and rear subframe bushings being sloppy. So the tail will move around subtly(dynamic rear toe and camber changes) and you have to correct with the steering wheel.
So everything in the front feels solid when you check it, but the problem is still there. Thats what was happening with my car, and now it feels rock solid.

Oops I just saw Aceyx said almost the same thing
dave45056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:30 AM   #15
Maverix

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by themightyquinn View Post
^Haha, maybe if we each take one component of the steering/suspension eventually someone's problems will go away.
Yea, I don't mind. I just want to get to the problem asap. I don't like having unpredictable steering. It's very dangerous when you need it to be accurate the most.
~Jess