318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 98,692 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 61,545 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 58,926 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 07-04-2012, 12:50 AM   #16
pdxmotorhead

Koni:

I like the Koni's, but the rears on the TI kit aren't height adjustable. So, this is kind of only half a coilover kit.

B&G unfortunately doesn't seem to make coilovers for the 318TI which is too bad. The set that I have on my Golf is nice.

So, What do you guys think?

--------------------------------------------------------

UM,,, That kit has rear adjusters for the springs. those two black things under the springs, yo would have to make major mods like add a cage to do uni-mount coilovers on a TI, the rear quarters aren't made to take spring load in the shock mount area. They work awesome btw on both E30, TI and Nissan 200/300 Zx cars.

Cheers
Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:55 AM   #17
vwmikel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead View Post

UM,,, That kit has rear adjusters for the springs. those two black things under the springs, yo would have to make major mods like add a cage to do uni-mount coilovers on a TI, the rear quarters aren't made to take spring load in the shock mount area. They work awesome btw on both E30, TI and Nissan 200/300 Zx cars.

Cheers
Dave
That's just a generic picture and not the actual kit. You may also notice it doesn't have the front mounting ears and isn't even for a BMW. I think the only company that I know of that was offering a one-peice replacement for a BMW was K-Sport. And, that was only for the regular E36 rear. We chatted them up at Sema for a bit and they seemed to be ok with the idea of making them for the TI, but that's probably going to involve a lot of structural changes to the rear towers and I'm just not sure if it's really worth it for a street car of all things.
vwmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:23 AM   #18
pdxmotorhead

There is no advantage to coil overs on the E30 style rear end. (IMHO)

On most cars, the only time coil over are a benefit is to get a coil spring or replace a heavy strut assembly or to get clearance. (Lower unsprung weight.)

The H&R kit's I've installed came with the same style adjuster.

The E30 M3's did fine LOL

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #19
POCti

So this thread really is helping view my options but one problem i keep running into is spring rates and i have no idea what im looking for. Anyone have a spring rate for dummies way to explain this. also one kit has front camber plates but no rear do i not need rear adjustment? thanks
POCti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:50 AM   #20
Ragnorak

Quote:
Originally Posted by POCti View Post
So this thread really is helping view my options but one problem i keep running into is spring rates and i have no idea what im looking for. Anyone have a spring rate for dummies way to explain this. also one kit has front camber plates but no rear do i not need rear adjustment? thanks
Talk to TC Kline about spring rates for your application. They were great to talk to on my M3.

Front camber plates are used in place of the OEM strut hats to allow for camber and caster adjustments. They are really intended if you want to tune your suspension or reduce your negative camber from dropping very low.

The rear is more difficult to adjust. The lower you go, the more the rear "squats" and the more negative your camber becomes. The toe changes too. There are a few solutions for this, but require welding or changes to the trailing arm mounts to the subframe. I haven't seen anyone that has done a true weld in to the rear but I'm sure they're out there.

Long story short, there are no rear camber plates like the front suspension.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:55 AM   #21
Ragnorak

Another question though. Have you guys required wheel spacers for the PSS/PSS9 setups? I'm running staggered DS2s at the moment (225/45 and 245/40) and will really only be going for a modest drop to close the wheel gap. I don't really believe in slamming a DD...so sue me.

Also, should I run the M3 strut hats or the non-M E36 hats? My thoughts are to run the M3 hats to reduce negative camber but I want to find out from people that have done this already to eliminate the guesswork.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:54 AM   #22
POCti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnorak View Post
Talk to TC Kline about spring rates for your application. They were great to talk to on my M3.

Front camber plates are used in place of the OEM strut hats to allow for camber and caster adjustments. They are really intended if you want to tune your suspension or reduce your negative camber from dropping very low.

The rear is more difficult to adjust. The lower you go, the more the rear "squats" and the more negative your camber becomes. The toe changes too. There are a few solutions for this, but require welding or changes to the trailing arm mounts to the subframe. I haven't seen anyone that has done a true weld in to the rear but I'm sure they're out there.

Long story short, there are no rear camber plates like the front suspension.

Thanks thats what i was afraid of but i just had to make sure.
POCti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:47 PM   #23
Ragnorak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnorak View Post
Another question though. Have you guys required wheel spacers for the PSS/PSS9 setups? I'm running staggered DS2s at the moment (225/45 and 245/40) and will really only be going for a modest drop to close the wheel gap. I don't really believe in slamming a DD...so sue me.

Also, should I run the M3 strut hats or the non-M E36 hats? My thoughts are to run the M3 hats to reduce negative camber but I want to find out from people that have done this already to eliminate the guesswork.
Install is simple.
To follow up to my own post, I installed my Bilstein PSS system last week and overall it went very well. I didn't have any issues with removing the OEM rear springs. I think those that have had problems with the rear springs might be removing non-M-tech springs, which are longer.

The M3 strut hats worked nicely and definitely removed excessive negative camber compared to the non-M hats.

On a lift, this install could be done easily in 1-2 hours if you know what you're doing. I snapped a spindle bolt that we had to drill out which took another 2 hours alone.

You might need spacers.
I was surprised that I needed spacers but expected it. I'm currently running staggered M3 wheels (225/45/17x7.5 and 245/40/17x8.5). Without the collars on the front coilovers all the way up, they would definitely rub the tire. If you want to modestly drop the car, you'll need a decent spacer. For me, a 12 mm or 15 mm worked well. I just don't know which I like best yet.

If you do...clean your spacers!
After I installed the spacers, I had BAD vibration from the front end. Immediately, my mind ran to the worst cause of wearing out control arm bushings. The lugs were torqued to spec. After removing them and checking the hub, we realized that any debris between the hub and the spacer or between the spacer and the wheel will cause an imbalance and bad vibration.

The ride is awesome.
The car feels completely different now. My rear struts were blown pretty bad and I didn't realize it until I pulled them and compressed them. Shifting feels smoother from less front-to-back motion and cornering is great. The car follows the contour of the road exactly, which can be annoying in areas that aren't bumpy but are uneven. You'll feel like you're on a bit of a roller coaster but the trade-off is well worth it.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:41 PM   #24
30yrMbr

Vehicles

okay, been about a year (+) since the last post here. Anybody got any new information on this topic. I've got a S52 swapped Ti with coilover suspension that I despise. Way to stiff even at the Softest (of 35) position. I'm looking at the Ground Control system, which used to have a setup specific to M3 engined TI's. I also have questions about spring rates. How to determine what is needed (250/400 or 400/650 or....) and what are the tradeoffs involved with selection. Sure don't want to purchase a full set of all available spring rates for each end of the car and play "Let's see what this combo does" until something clicks.

Got any ideas, group?

http://www.318ti.org/gallery/data/54...27_clipped.jpg
30yrMbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:59 PM   #25
spidertri

Vehicles

If you're looking at GC, give them a call and discuss your needs. They will be more than happy to recommend spring rates. You are essentially driving a Z3 M coupe so they should have plenty of info and experience.

I'd say if you're looking at GC to also check out TCK SAs. When I had 350/500 springs the ride could be made as comfortable as stock. I've bumped up to 450/600 now for track/autox and it is still a decent ride.

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:16 PM   #26
vwmikel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30yrMbr View Post
okay, been about a year (+) since the last post here. Anybody got any new information on this topic. I've got a S52 swapped Ti with coilover suspension that I despise. Way to stiff even at the Softest (of 35) position. I'm looking at the Ground Control system, which used to have a setup specific to M3 engined TI's. I also have questions about spring rates. How to determine what is needed (250/400 or 400/650 or....) and what are the tradeoffs involved with selection. Sure don't want to purchase a full set of all available spring rates for each end of the car and play "Let's see what this combo does" until something clicks.

Got any ideas, group?
What coilovers do you have? I have the H&R's and I think they're too soft. The car feels like it has too much body roll for my liking and the rear squats too much. I'm sure having the S50 in there has something to do with it.
vwmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:53 AM   #27
samdemange

Vehicles

[IMG][/IMG]
Quote:
Originally Posted by POCti View Post
Anyone know much about the gaz coilover kits.
i have the gaz gold coilover on my 323 ti
very good quality but 1000€ ( 1400 $ )
and u can choose ur spring when purchassing it
mine are for the track (front 600 lbs rear 275 lbs )
too much hard for a dailly

pic http://www.318ti.org/gallery/showfull.php?photo=8860

Last edited by samdemange; 04-20-2014 at 02:00 AM.
samdemange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:06 AM   #28
30yrMbr

Vehicles
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwmikel View Post
What coilovers do you have? I have the H&R's and I think they're too soft. The car feels like it has too much body roll for my liking and the rear squats too much. I'm sure having the S50 in there has something to do with it.
The Ti has D2 Racing coilovers. They are 35 way adjustable, but unlike the PSS9's I had on my E46 M3, the difference between full hard and full soft on the D2's are way too hard and way too soft (less control of body motions (a bit floaty)). My wife refuses to ride in the car, as it tends to CRASH over expansion joints and level changes on freeway concrete paving blocks.

So, I'm looking to sell my 2001 Z3 Coupe and use some of the proceeds to upgrade the suspension on the Ti for track duty but also have some comfort driving it to the track and make the wifey a bit more accepting of the second Ti.

So anyone want these D2 Racing brand coilover shock and struts in exchange for a lightly use Ground Control or TCKline coilover system?

I'll have both of my Ti's at Bimmerfest West this coming May 17th at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, so come on over and I'll try to get some test rides in for interested parties>. I'll be taking the S52 Ti (Ti 4 Go) to Buttonwillow for a one day driving school the day before Bimmerfest. So if you are in the area, rides in the Ti at Buttonwillow will be available.

http://www.318ti.org/gallery/data/54...27_clipped.jpg
30yrMbr is offline   Reply With Quote