318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Track, Auto-X & Drag Racing

Notices

Track, Auto-X & Drag Racing Discuss "organized" racing, car set-ups, driving techniques, track tips, events, driving schools, maintenance and more.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 962,826 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,900 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 08-04-2006, 01:33 AM   #1
robcarync

Default Classing question real fast

what is up guys, had a quick question about classing my car.

with my current mods, my car is in DSP (only because of x-brace). without the x brace, it would be sts.

in STS, you are allowed to modify the ECU with the engine chip.

now question is about the Dinan transmission chip. I am thinking about getting, but I am curious as to which class it will bump me to. If it bumps me up a class, I may not want to get it.

I am currently searching a pdf of the classing rules, but it is 316 pages so its taking a while...i was just curious if anyone knows off the top of their head about modifying the transmission computer and how it affects car class.

all im seeing about transmission is changing size/positioniong/shift linkage/transmission mounts...it doesnt say anything about transmission computer or whatever
Pioneer Speakers [] Aluminum Billet door locks [] ACS Pedals/Deadrest [] ACS Shift Knob / E-Brake Handle [] Clear Corners/Tails/Sides [] Sylvania Exterior Lighting [] Custom CAI [] Dinan Engine Chip [] Dinan Transmission Chip [] H&R Race Springs [] Tokico Illumina Shocks [] BMW X-Brace [] Relocated Lighter Mod [] Custom iPod Mod
http://www.cardomain.com/id/robcarync
robcarync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 01:47 AM   #2
Watchmyradical

i race sts with an engiine chip. not 100% possitive if it is allowed though, i have asked a few people in my class what they think and they said it should be good.tranny chip i think would be fine too. maybe someone else can clarify it for us.
e46 325 brake upgrade, Dinan engine chip, UUC SS brake lines, UCC rotors, m68 17in wheels, Conti extreme contacts, Billstein sport shocks, H&R springs, M3 shock mounts, B&B triflow exhaust, K&N cone filter, Magnecor 8.5 wires, Meyle control arms with caster , Hawk ceramic pads, Understeer M3 SSK, UUC SS clutch line, 320 trans mounts.
Watchmyradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 04:00 AM   #3
robcarync

i know the engine chip is good for STS...it says you can modify the electronic control unit mechanically, electrically, or both.

i think that the tranny chip kinda plays into the electronic control unit maybe...cept its not the engine control, but the tranny control.

i think it would be ok, but the rules dont specify changing transmission software...
Pioneer Speakers [] Aluminum Billet door locks [] ACS Pedals/Deadrest [] ACS Shift Knob / E-Brake Handle [] Clear Corners/Tails/Sides [] Sylvania Exterior Lighting [] Custom CAI [] Dinan Engine Chip [] Dinan Transmission Chip [] H&R Race Springs [] Tokico Illumina Shocks [] BMW X-Brace [] Relocated Lighter Mod [] Custom iPod Mod
Old 08-04-2006, 06:01 AM   #4
S10mafia50

I doubt they are going to gripe too much at you, especially since you can just say the car has been chipped and be done with it.....if the rule doesn't say it, it isn't illegal. I believe you should be fine, but if you need to ask someone, just look up your local scca club and then ask a person in charge....they do have the final ruling afterall.....and is your Ti a auto?
Andrew
S10mafia50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 04:54 PM   #5
mohaughn

Do the 95 automatics have shiftronic? You'd be better of using that than letting the computer try to figure out when to shift for you.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 11:43 PM   #6
robcarync

true true...it wont be that much of an issue...chipped it is i will say so its good

yeah it has shiftronic...what i have been doing is leaving it auto mode with the lever in 2...so it shifts automatically from 1-2 ... i was thinking about trying to use shiftronic but the thing is there is a sligh delay between shifting lever and when it actually shifts...imnot sure how that will affect anything though...plussince it was my first one i didnt want to have to think about shifting
Old 08-10-2006, 07:07 PM   #7
andy

Actually, unless the rules specifically allow a modification, then you absolutely may not do it. For example, in the LSD section in SP, it states differentials are free, however, that does not mean that final drive ratios may be changed.

But for the transmission chip, that's a tuffy. It's not that huge a benefit probably, and certainly a manual car would be faster 99% of the time. Here's the best place I can see that *may* allow it:

Quote:
15.4 D. Alternate computer control modules may be used whenever an
equivalent change to the conventional system is allowed. For
example, alternate computer module control of ignition settings or
fuel injection is allowed. Direct turbocharger boost control by
alternate computer control is not, since there is no equivalent
mechanical allowance.
Since there is a manual eqivalent to pretty much anything the transmission chip is doing (either manu-matic-ing or a stick) then it should be fine. In reality I seriously doubt anyone is going to protest an automatic, but just a CYA...
Old 08-11-2006, 03:43 AM   #8
mohaughn

Shouldn't you be leaving it in automatic mode, position #3? That is the sport shift mode. 1 and 2 are for towing or low traction situations.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:19 AM   #9
slacker

I would think you would be leaving it in "A" "2" for the start. It will auto shift from 1st to 2nd. and then stay in 2nd until you pop it up to 3rd. It will auto shift down to 2nd when needed, and there is the rub for autoX. If you are doing a track-day, you can control the shift all the way up to 4th by using the same method and use "D" for 4th. The "M" button will allow downshift to 3rd and lever movement subsequently to 2nd then lever up to 3rd. and lever up to "D" and pushing "A" will give you 4th. In other-words, downshift with "M" and up-shift with "A" and ALWAYS start out in "A" "2" for the fastest starts. "M" 1st. from a standstill is way slow. Takes practice, and just when you get used to it...you go get a 5-speed.
Gary
[size=-2]95 Sport-Alpine White-5sp conversion, M3 clutch, 3.72 E30-LSD, Bilstein PSS-9s, 3"stainless-TriFlo, 17s from 330i staggared w/BFG KDWs, DASC K&N w/foglight intake, cross-drilled BavAuto rear rotors w/Pagids, 4-pot Brembos w/drilled 320mm front rotors, stainless lines, BimmerWorld RSMs. BavAuto front splitters. M-Style rear spoiler, tower brace, X-brace.
slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 12:47 AM   #10
S10mafia50

Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker View Post
I would think you would be leaving it in "A" "2" for the start. It will auto shift from 1st to 2nd. and then stay in 2nd until you pop it up to 3rd. It will auto shift down to 2nd when needed, and there is the rub for autoX. If you are doing a track-day, you can control the shift all the way up to 4th by using the same method and use "D" for 4th. The "M" button will allow downshift to 3rd and lever movement subsequently to 2nd then lever up to 3rd. and lever up to "D" and pushing "A" will give you 4th. In other-words, downshift with "M" and up-shift with "A" and ALWAYS start out in "A" "2" for the fastest starts. "M" 1st. from a standstill is way slow. Takes practice, and just when you get used to it...you go get a 5-speed.
Gary
Hmmm, how fast can the AT ti's get up to in 1st and 2nd? I have never gotten farther than 4k rpms in 2nd with the zx3....altho it does pull 1st until 40....lol. Also, all this talk about the "M" selection, is this like a second set of shift points? Sorry, I have never been around an AT ti....lol
Andrew
S10mafia50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 05:22 PM   #11
mohaughn

M puts the auto trannie into manual mode. The Ti's have the first generation of this type of technology. Obviously SMG is the newest and most high tech version of it. In the M mode you can manually change the gears between first and fourth. The car will not automatically upshift until you move the level to shift it... It will not downshift either... I believe the proper term BMW uses is steptronic for this early version.

The next version is shiftronic. Shiftronic will upshift automatically if you redline it. Shiftronic also just requires you to bump the lever up or down once you move it to the left to activate the manual mode.

SMG is after that...
Old 08-19-2006, 12:38 AM   #12
andy

Right - main difference is auto-anything is using a real automatic transmission with a torque converter that you have more control over than average. SMG is a manual transmission with a clutch that's computer activated.

Torque converter = loss of torque = kiss up to 20% of your engine's torque goodbye.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:04 PM   #13
robcarync

i know all about the automatic shift lever positions...if you leave it in A-2, then it shifts automatically but doesnt go past 2nd gear, which if i stay in 2nd gear it gets the rpms up, where as if it was 3rd, then it would shift to 3rd and the rpms would drop because im not going fast enough to really need 3rd gear