318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 97,373 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 60,313 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 57,673 Views
M50+manual swap bastard...
03-01-2024 11:00 PM
Last post by Andy318
03-18-2024 02:34 PM
3 Replies, 132,869 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 04-10-2008, 09:18 AM   #1
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Thumbs up ****SOLD!!!****

****SOLD!!!****
***UPDATE***
PICS ARE FINALLY HERE!!!
http://www.318ti.org/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=899

It Runs!!!

My ClubSport made it's first trip in six months today. As some of you know, this car has been sitting in front of my house for what seems like forever with what was thought to be a bad transmission.

I finally got around to dropping the tranny last week and found out that the transmission wasn't damaged at all. Instead it was a broken clutch disc. The center spline on the disc had sheared off. Fortunately I happened to have a nearly new clutch kit sitting in my garage.

The tranny was missing a couple of mounting bolts from when the previous owner had it rebuilt and the starter was only held on by one bolt as well. No biggie, I managed to get a couple new bolts and the install went easy until I went to bolt up the starter. Since it was only held on by one bolt, the bracket which was actually part of the housing snapped off as soon as I started to tighten it Having removed the starter from my other Ti on a previous occasion, I wasn't very happy knowing what I was up against. I did however manage to get it out from underneath the vehicle without having to remove or disassemble anything else I took the starter to a good friend of mine who happens to be a certified welder and specializes in aluminum. He ran a couple passes with the torch allowing it to cool between each pass, then grinded it to perfection.

The bracket is now stronger than it ever was and today I finally bolted it up. I hooked up the driveshaft and bolted down a few things underneath the car, but it still wasn't ready for me to hop in and drive. As I mentioned before, the car sat for 6 months and I wanted to make sure everything was perfect before I cranked it. So while I was under there, I drained the oil and replaced it with Castrol Syntec. Bled the clutch and checked the level of the tranny fluid which was recently replaced with Royal Purple when the tranny was rebuilt. The gas tank was close to empty, but I did add a bottle of fuel stabilizer a few months ago. So I wanted to make sure the first gulp of gas would be clean so I collected all of the gas cans me and my neighbor could find, 5 gallons in total, took a trip down to the gas station in my other Ti, topped them off and gave the ClubSport some fresh gas before the moment of truth.

The suspense was getting intense as it would only be a few moments before I turned the key and put it in gear for the first time. I slowly lowered the car off of the jackstands and as the weight rested on the wheels, the car let out what seemed like a wakening yawn. Almost there baby. One more check of the engine bay. New air filter, check. New belts, check. New thermostat, check, New water pump, check, New belt tensioner, check. Oil level, check. Begin the walk around, new tires, check. New brake rotors and pads, check. Tighten wheel lugs, check. Climb into the cockpit, adjust the seat, press clutch in, cycle through the gears, all is well. Turn the key...

Nothing Goddamit!!! The battery's dead. Pull my other Ti up next to it and jump start it. She cranks right up and purrs like there's no tomorrow. A little smoke from sitting for so long, but it gradually clears the driveway. I get out and do another walk around to take a peek in the engine and listen for any strange sounds or leaks. Everything seems perfect so I let the hood drop.

Hop back in, release the parking brake, roll down the driveway and take a few slow laps around the block. She shifts soo smooth and no strange noises. I gradually accelerate and detect a very slight exhaust rattle, sigh. Test the brakes a few times, then I drop it into second and punch it. Go through all the gears and slam on the brakes as my turn is coming up. Head home and clean up a little, then I took her on the freeway and swung by the gas station to fill her up.

Thats it for now guys. Tomorrow, the detailing fun begins as well as a trip to the dealer for some door molding clips and an intake boot. I'm going to rent a steam cleaner for the red millpoint, I might fix the headliner and I need to pick up a set of wiper blades and a battery. I'll be doing a clay bar this weekend followed by a few coats of wax. a little cleaning of the engine bay and then a for sale sign

THE CLUBSPORT LIVES AGAIN!!! WOOHOOO!

BTW, sorry guys. No pics yet, but soon to come.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:58 AM   #2
the governor

Awesome I cant wait to see it.
I think we should call you Dr.ti
Old 04-10-2008, 11:56 AM   #3
Bobbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
It Runs!!!

THE CLUBSPORT LIVES AGAIN!!! WOOHOOO!

WOO hOO it works i gotta check it out, good work jess
Bilsteins w/ H&R Sport, Depos w/ angeleyes and HID 5K, 50% short throw kit, Custom fogged intake, AC schnitzer pedels w/ deadpedels, leather stickshift knob, vitesse tuning Ebreak boot w/ shift boot, X-Brace, 325/328 brake upgrade, Gray millpoint leather and cloth interior, custom computer multimedia system, and Style 5 BBS 17" rims, M3 Mirrors, CF Hood

Bobbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:25 PM   #4
Bluebimma

Can i has it????

1998 Schwartz II sport 318ti - M50TUB25/5
Bluebimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:27 PM   #5
teetime4one

Vehicles

well done Jess...glad to hear it's back on the road.

Sean
1995 Active
teetime4one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:37 PM   #6
thesk8nmidget

can i has it? i want a black club sport too!!

pweassse!

good work!

i wanna see some pictures!

i need a few clips too and an intake boot, maybe i'll do that on my lunch break!
Current- 1995 318ti, sport model, schwartz
thesk8nmidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:12 PM   #7
PettitWC

good to hear jess

1997 318ti

'cause I'm a Balla Baby

FACEBOOK!!
MY SPACE!!
PettitWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:37 PM   #8
Marv17

WOO-HOO!! YEAH. GOOD job jesse. i agree with 'the governor', you should be call Dr. Ti. you can fix anything and can revive anything with the touch of your wrench. Glad to hear the CS is finally moving again on the SoCal roads. can't wait to see it on saturday.

-Theta Chi-
Float like a cadilac, sting like a BIMMER

.... my socket is just too thick and won't fit in the hole! damnit!

Marv's 332ti is in the werks. Stay tuned ya'll ...

Check list: S52 swap, manual transmission swap, 3.25 LSD with M Coupe diff cover, SuperSprint muffler, M3 style mirrors, AFE intake, ASC delete, M50 Manifold swap, UUC strut bar, ZHP lighted knob, Vaders, M-tech interior, OEM armrest, AC Schintzer front lip, AC Schnitzer rear spoiler, Roof spoiler, 18'' rims, M3 front drilled brakes, LED interior lights, 3 spoke Euro style steering wheel, OEM roof spoiler and bike holder, Thule fairing, Euro tail lights, oil pressure guage, carbon fiber hood painted to original paint (still showing CF weaving), what's next to do...?
Marv17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:56 PM   #9
Philly

jess CAN fix anything...

I thought I was gay once, then he touched me.... suddenly im not so gay! shanx jess

all jokes aside, your the man! now which one gets the M-swap??

328Ti

Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:07 PM   #10
cooljess76

Thanks guys, it still has a ways to go before I'm ready to showcase it. I want this thing to be in tip top shape for whoever decides to buy it. Today I'll be installing a new set of fogs, wiper blades, battery, intake boot and the driver's side door molding. I'll start by detailing the engine bay, then I'll steam clean the interior, maybe fix the headliner and finally the exterior. I'll try to have it done by Saturday. I just changed the oil and filters and I want to run seafoam through it, but I don't want to waste the new oil, so I think I'll just add a can to the fuel and run a can through the intake. Anyway, I need to head down to the dealer and swing by Sears to pick up a battery. My camera's on the charger and I'll get a few shots this evening.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:15 PM   #11
cooljess76

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwd_king View Post
jess CAN fix anything...

I thought I was gay once, then he touched me.... suddenly im not so gay! shanx jess

all jokes aside, your the man! now which one gets the M-swap??
Lol, the '97 will be undergoing the transplant as soon as I sell the CS. I'm thinking that I'll probably sell it at BimmerFest. I remember last year people were leaving offers on a few of the ti's. Not sure if it's allowed, but I'm going to have a for sale sign in the window. I would post it on here, but I think I might be asking too much for most of the members here.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:24 PM   #12
StealthBimmer

Way to go Jess!!! Your recap was like "Days of my ti". I can't believe you will put all that hard work and LOVE into the CS and then sell it. I think you should enjoy it for awhile first.

My Ultimate Driving Machines

BMWCCA #369516
http://www.boston-bmwcca.org/
Best MA ti meet pics
Recommended tint place
StealthBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:34 PM   #13
cooljess76

I'll start by saying that I absolutely hate going to the dealer. Steve Thomas BMW in Camarillo, CA can kiss my ass! The past 4 times I've been there, they didn't have what I needed and said they'd have to special order it. Last time I needed interior light bulbs which they wanted $42 for 3 of them and said they'd have to special order! This time I just needed an intake boot for the m42 and some door molding clips, same thing waaay overpriced and not in stock. Screw that. I ended up visiting PelicanParts and ordered an intake boot, 14 door molding clips and a set of windshield cowl/wiper motor covers. 100 bucks for a bunch of plastic On a different note, I might not need a battery. It was only a year old and when I tested it, it was getting 13.9v from the alternator. So I threw it on the trickle charger last night and it just finished charging. So there's the hundred bucks that I was going to spend anyway.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:50 PM   #14
thesk8nmidget

wow! they had clips in stock for me here and i bought like 10 for 2 or 3 bucks with the bmwcca discount

thats a rip off! i forgot to buy the intake boot though damnit! i will go buy that tomorrow.

EDIT:
i just called about an intake boot and they wanted 46 then i said whats the member price and they said 23!

almost made my 40 bucks back already!

thats highway robery!
thats why they call them the dealership
Current- 1995 318ti, sport model, schwartz
thesk8nmidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:40 PM   #15
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesk8nmidget View Post
thats why they call them the STEALership
Fixed. :-)

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote