318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 992,868 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-27-2007, 07:22 PM   #1
branden

Default Alignment Question

I recently finished my suspension overhaul: Bilstein Sports, HR Sports, IE Subframe bushings (green), IE RTABs, Meyle control arms, and Meyle tie rods.

I tried to adjust the tie rods and align the wheels by eye, but it's far from perfect. I've been to a couple shops that won't do an alignment because you are supposed to sandbag the seats with 150lbs each and they don't have those. My suspension isn't stock, so I'm not sure if it really matters anyways.

Another guy told me I couldn't just get a front alignment ... I had to pay for the full 4-wheel alignment. He says that he has to adjust to the toe in the rear ... etc, etc. Now my understanding is that the tie rods are the only adjustable part on the suspension unless I buy adjustable strut mounts or off-centered RTAB bushings. Am I wrong? Are there any toe, camber, or caster adjustments for the front or rear of the car without installing special parts?
branden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:04 PM   #2
campaiar

Do a search on alignment here and you'll find more information than you wanted to know.

There are more adjustments in the front than just the tie rods. And yes, there are plenty of shops that won't do BMW alignments. Keep shopping.
M3 S52 3.2 I-6 Engine, M3 Clutch w/ ti Getrag Trans, Z3 3.15 LSD medium case diff and half shafts, OEM Hatch Spoiler, Eurosport HP Underdrive Pulleys, FDM, 17" DS1 rims, M3 Front Struts & Springs, M3 Instrument Cluster, 3-spoke //M steering wheel with tri-color stitching, SSK, CCFL Angels in Depo projectors with 5k HIDs
campaiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:13 PM   #3
CirrusSR22

Yeah, just look for another shop. I went to a small independant shop and the guy didn't care if I had the proper ballast or not. I did bring a bunch of weights and sandbags and got fairly close.

The front camber is adjustable with factory camber bolts. Part number #5: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...21&hg=31&fg=10
CirrusSR22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:20 PM   #4
branden

Please, don't tell me to search. I'm not exactly a newb here...I've searched plenty of times and can't find a precise answer. I just would like to know if you can adjust the toe in the rear or front without purchasing extra parts. I know that camber can't be adjusted without special parts.

As for the camber-correction bolt ... it doesn't work. I ordered it and it is a normal threaded bolt. I have no idea why it is on there. It doesn't have an offset spindle or anything. It's just a straight, threaded-all-they-to-the-end bolt. It would tear up my struts if I put it on. Maybe pelicanparts sent me the wrong bolt
Old 06-27-2007, 08:31 PM   #5
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by branden View Post
Please, don't tell me to search. I'm not exactly a newb here...I've searched plenty of times and can't find a precise answer. I just would like to know if you can adjust the toe in the rear or front without purchasing extra parts. I know that camber can't be adjusted without special parts.

As for the camber-correction bolt ... it doesn't work. I ordered it and it is a normal threaded bolt. I have no idea why it is on there. It doesn't have an offset spindle or anything. It's just a straight, threaded-all-they-to-the-end bolt. It would tear up my struts if I put it on. Maybe pelicanparts sent me the wrong bolt

NO.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:50 PM   #6
branden

Dusten, what is the "NO." for? Do you mean "NO." as in the toe isn't adjustable in the front or rear without special parts? Sorry I'm such a waste of your time that I don't warrant an answer of more than one word.

Cirrus, have you tried this "camber correction" bolt for the strut spindle? Although the part numbers match up, I'm wondering if they sent me the wrong one.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:39 AM   #7
elfhearse

FWIW: I recently installed Bilstein Sports and H&R Sport springs. I took my ti to the local BMW indy mechanic who I've used for ~ 7 years.

I had him do a front end alignment (rear is N/A on E30 suspension)
He also installed new Lemforder control arms and 95 M3 offset control arms bushings. Total including $89 alignment was ~ $650

BEISSBARTH alignment info:
Camber: target -0° 30' -0° 51']+0°30' Left: -0° 56' Right: -1° 06'
Cross camber: target [0°31'] final +0°
Individual toe: target -0°04'[+0°09']+0°08' Left: +0°09' Right: +0°08'
Total Toe: target -0°08'[+0°18']+0°15' final +0° 17'
Setback: target -0°15'[+0°00']+0°15' final +0° -7'
elfhearse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:24 AM   #8
BobbyDigital

I'm pretty sure toe is the only thing that is adjustable on the front and rear.

I put 4000 miles a month on my car, so without camber correction plates/bushings, I'm replacing my tires every 4-6 months, WEEE!!!
BobbyDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 02:49 AM   #9
marleymon

branden- nothing is adjustable on the rear arm unless you use adjustable rtabs / or a weld in kit. What trailing arm bushings did you use?

Take it to P.A.T. on Jewitt/ off S. Industrial in A2. I'm 99% they do alignments. They are bosch injection cup winners too, so they know what they are doing on imports. If they don't have a rack- they will know where to go.

I'll be down sometime soon, but you should drive up for Bliss....
http://www.blissfest.org/
lot's of good music, food, etc.

josh
Old 07-11-2007, 06:01 AM   #10
branden

Thanks for the info guys, but I took the TI belle tire and got an alignment for 40 bucks last week. I'm not too concerned about people at belle tire doing it since they are just adjusting the tie rods.

Josh, thanks for the info....I used IE RTABS (black ones) The rear feels soo solid. I'm not sure if the RTABs make a huge difference compared to the subframe bushings b/c I installed both at the same time.

Do you know anyone in the area that can do a full re-spray on my car? I'm looking for a place that would charge less than 2 grand if I do most of the prep work myself.

Blissfest sounds sweet, but it's this weekend! I wish I knew about it sooner -- I'd definantly be there. But I'm going to the Bob Dyan concert in Toledo this thursday so I'll still hear some good live music before the week is out. Are you going to blissfest?
Old 07-11-2007, 12:00 PM   #11
marleymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by branden View Post
Thanks for the info guys, but I took the TI belle tire and got an alignment for 40 bucks last week. I'm not too concerned about people at belle tire doing it since they are just adjusting the tie rods.

Josh, thanks for the info....I used IE RTABS (black ones) The rear feels soo solid. I'm not sure if the RTABs make a huge difference compared to the subframe bushings b/c I installed both at the same time.

Do you know anyone in the area that can do a full re-spray on my car? I'm looking for a place that would charge less than 2 grand if I do most of the prep work myself.

Blissfest sounds sweet, but it's this weekend! I wish I knew about it sooner -- I'd definantly be there. But I'm going to the Bob Dyan concert in Toledo this thursday so I'll still hear some good live music before the week is out. Are you going to blissfest?
Dylan was here up here last night, my sis went (sold out), I haven't heard from her yet.

For a spray try Ross beakes at the deadend on west ann.... I use to work there and Pauly is an artist. Talk to Ken, 2k might be in range, not sure though. They only use Glassauraut Paint, which is suppose to be way better quality than Dupont.

I'm having surgery on friday...the 13th.... so I'm not sure if i'll be in shape for Bliss this year. Usually it's an annual thursday thru monday extravaganza.... it's always an awesome time. The 'woods' filled with tents are crazy....you can get lost up there, it's an all night party.
I'm curious to see what Jeff Daniels is up to, so I might pop in on Sunday night.

ooh belle tire? those fukers wrecked my wheels when new and it took 6 months to make it right.
Glad your ride is coming along, I need to drive another ti to see how fukd mine STILL is.....
I'm trying one more alignment shop....