318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Personal bios and Introductions

Notices

Personal bios and Introductions A short personal history.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,006,931 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 11-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
Ohio318ti

Default New member in Ohio - seeking advice

Apologies in advance for not knowing my way around the Forum. I have a 1995 Base 5sp ti that my wife and I bought new in 1995. My wife drove it up until a few years ago when I started driving it. It has 152k on it, is in good mechanical shape, original clutch, some typical ti problems (a bit of rust above one wheel, window lifts replaced a couple of times...). I'd like a car with a bit more space for hauling stuff (bikes mostly) and so I'm thinking of either spending some money to get our ti up to snuff and keeping it forever, or, selling it off and moving on to something with a bit more room. Ours is a daily driver and I'm putting 8-10k/yr on it. I somewhat like the idea of driving an older daily drive, so I'm torn between putting some money into it to fix some of the piddly problems it has (one side mirror is cracked, minor rust, needs lifts for the hood and hatch, plastic strip at the base of the window is all cracked, still hasoriginal shocks so I expect it cols use new ones, still has original clutch, original steel wheels and nice wheels would be nice.... Am seeking advice as to whether I should have someone do some work on it and keep it forever, or sell it? If I sold it, what's a fair price range for what I've described? Also, should I be entering my request for advice in a different part of the forum? Thanks in advance, and thanks also for this great Forum. I never knew there were that many 318ti enthusiasts! Ohio318ti
Ohio318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:16 AM   #2
teetime4one

Vehicles

Well, first allow me to say welcome to the Org. It sounds like you have some minor repairs to tackle with a car that I suggest you keep. I would be more then willing to walk you through any of the repairs that you've listed. All you would need to do is purchase the parts.
The hood and hatch shocks are super easy to instal. It only takes 15-20 minutes.
The mirror glass is a piece of cake too. Just push a corner in all of the way, put your index finger behind the mirror opposite of where you pushed in, pinch between index finger and thumb, pull gently. There are wires for the heat/mirror adjustment...so be kind of careful.
The plastic strip at the base of the window can be found here on the Org when someone posts a "PARTING OUT OF VEHICLE".
If you want/need other parts...just post an "IN SEARCH OF..." thread. You'll get answers/offers for the parts that you need.
Good luck!
Sean

Sean
1995 Active
teetime4one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:33 AM   #3
Ohio318ti

Default Thanks for your response

Thanks for your response Teetime4one. I should put a list together of the things that need to be brought up to snuff to turn our 318ti into a car that'll take us into the next 1/2 dozen years. I'll do that and will seek help from the Forum when I have my list finished.

I actually backed outof the garage and clipped the mirror while doing so. It's the outside plastic of the mirror that is cracked. I've seen the replacement part available on-line, so I know it's an easy fix once the part is in hand. The motor in the mirror still works fine and the mirror itself is intact.

Any opinion as to what this car might be worth would be appreciated.

Any advice regarding whether I can put a small receiver hitch (for a bike rack) on our ti?

Thanks,

Ohio318ti
Old 11-19-2012, 01:44 AM   #4
teetime4one

Vehicles

We would need pics of the car, interior, engine. It's a base model which is less desirable...but, can still fetch a decent price. Most 1995 base models with 152,000 miles will sell for $1,500-$3,000. I assume it is completely stock. The right modifications will fetch a little more.
My friend has a hitch on his 318ti. So, yes...they are out there. Use the search tool on the home page.
Listen, make the list. Post it here so you can retrieve it. When you are ready to post a a thread seeking these parts...copy and paste. But, in the meantime...people will see your list and present offers for the parts you need simply from seeing your list.
What we need first...pics of your car.

Sean
1995 Active
Old 11-19-2012, 01:54 AM   #5
Ohio318ti

Default Repair list

I'll put a list together and will get pic's taken over the upcoming holiday. Thanks also for the tip regarding the receiver hitch.

Ohio318ti
Old 11-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #6
teetime4one

Vehicles

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/3419568778.html

Sean
1995 Active
Old 11-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #7
jca

To keep a car or not is a very personal question. Economically, it's almost alway best to fix the car you've got. Shocks will run you at least $500. Also look for other worn front end parts in a car with 150k on the clock. Finally, the much reviled (with good reason) cooling system: Replace everything that hasn't already been replaced or risk overheating which can ruin the head gasket, even the head. The cooling system refresh is most important in terms of longivity, dependability, and risk management. Good luck, John
jca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:28 PM   #8
Ohio318ti

Default Thanks

John:

Thanks for the info. I've gathered in looking at the "buyers List" (elsewhere in the Forum) that the cooling system needs to be kept up to snuff. We've never replaced the plastic plugs I've seen on the buyers list, but have always kept the car in good shape mechanically. Have never had any kind of overheating issue, ever. Front end is in good shape with new struts, etc., not long ago and upgraded rotors and new calipers just recently. Car drives perfectly straight with no shimmy.

How can I tell if it's time to replace the shocks?

I wouldn't say the shifter (5 sp.) is "sloppy", but it doesn't seem as crisp as it was years ago. What's going on there?

Thanks,

Ohio318ti
Old 11-23-2012, 07:06 AM   #9
jca

If your shocks have 150k miles on them, replacing them will make the car handle noticeably better. Sloppy shifter is probably due to worn linkage parts. If you decide to keep the car I would advise replacing the two plastic water pipes as soon as possible. After 100k miles they are living on borrowed time, and their failure and resultant engine overheating has ruined many ti headgaskets and/or engines. (Ask me how I know!) P.S. Your ti still looks nice!
jca is offline   Reply With Quote