318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,027,114 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-12-2012, 03:07 AM   #1
pcalahane

Vehicles
Question 320,000 mile ti needing new suspension:

I currently am running Bilstein HD shocks with what I can only assume are factory springs. When I purchased the car it was a non-op with rust and needing a full rebuild. So now you know it's pedigree (or lack there of), I want to not only lower the car but to have a decent setup.

So here is my main question: I am looking at either buying some rokkor coilovers or H&R race springs to use with my billy HDs. My only problem is the HDs age is unknown along with their current condition. I believe they are failing because with my new 17" Contours the car tends to go where ever the road takes it vs where I am steering. The reason I am leaning toward the rokkors is so I can replace more components, allowing less to fail due to old age in the near future. Also, I heard that there was a way to use koni cores and keep using the rokkor bodies. I feel like if that is true, later down the road I can upgrade the cores and have a performance setup on a budget.

Also, anyone know where to get a cheap refresh kit for bushing, bearings, and control arms??? I heard there was one for like $150... But that was on a 2 year old post.

-1996 318TI ACTIVE PACKAGE (ALPINE WEISS): 75-0MPH IN 3 ROLLS AND AN END TO END FLIP.
Mods: Complete M3 Body Kit, Carbon Fiber Side Mirrors, Carbon Fiber GTR Hood, Carbon Fiber Hatch, Carbon Fiber Sunroof Panel, Blacked Out Ambers and Taillights, 17' TSW Nagaro Rims, European Front License Plate, Sripped Out Interior, NRG Deep Dish Steering Wheel with MOMO Hub, NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Ball, Pioneer Avic N2 Stereo (Navigation/Bluetooth/CD), Cosmo Racing Cold Air Intake, Passenger Airbag Delete, Rear Wiper Delete, Blacked Out Kidney Grills, Projector Fog Lights, manual windows
-1996 318TI CALIFORNIA EDITION (SCHWARZ ZWEI): BACK IN BLACK!
Current Mods: European Front License Plate, Rear Wiper Delete, Bosch Miata Battery, Blacked Out Ambers, 17" Contours (non-staggered), Kenwood Stereo (Bluetooth/USB/CD), City Lights, Corner Running Light Delete, Rear Taillight Mod (//M style brake light), Passport 9500xi Radar Detector (Hardwired), Laguna Seca Decal, Stripped Out Interior, Debaffled Airbox, Blacked Out Kidney Grills, Fog Light Delete, M3 front bumper w/ lip, Sparco Hood Pins, Sparco Trunk Springs, NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob, Rokkor Coilovers, Magnaflow Muffler (11225)

Whats Coming Next: NRG Steering wheel, Corbeau Forza Seats and Sliders (X2), NRG Race Style Steering Wheel with MOMO Hub, UUC Clutch Stop,, M3 Side Moldings, Manual Window regulators
pcalahane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
pcalahane

Vehicles

Anyone? EuroHB I know runs the rokkors and I'm sure a lot of people
run billies with HR sports. My only concern is high mileage with no idea how long what's on the car currently will last. I would love some feedback. If someone has sent in billies to get them refurbished and tuned for lowering springs I'd like to hear from you too.

-1996 318TI ACTIVE PACKAGE (ALPINE WEISS): 75-0MPH IN 3 ROLLS AND AN END TO END FLIP.
Mods: Complete M3 Body Kit, Carbon Fiber Side Mirrors, Carbon Fiber GTR Hood, Carbon Fiber Hatch, Carbon Fiber Sunroof Panel, Blacked Out Ambers and Taillights, 17' TSW Nagaro Rims, European Front License Plate, Sripped Out Interior, NRG Deep Dish Steering Wheel with MOMO Hub, NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Ball, Pioneer Avic N2 Stereo (Navigation/Bluetooth/CD), Cosmo Racing Cold Air Intake, Passenger Airbag Delete, Rear Wiper Delete, Blacked Out Kidney Grills, Projector Fog Lights, manual windows
Current Mods: European Front License Plate, Rear Wiper Delete, Bosch Miata Battery, Blacked Out Ambers, 17" Contours (non-staggered), Kenwood Stereo (Bluetooth/USB/CD), City Lights, Corner Running Light Delete, Rear Taillight Mod (//M style brake light), Passport 9500xi Radar Detector (Hardwired), Laguna Seca Decal, Stripped Out Interior, Debaffled Airbox, Blacked Out Kidney Grills, Fog Light Delete, M3 front bumper w/ lip, Sparco Hood Pins, Sparco Trunk Springs, NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob, Rokkor Coilovers, Magnaflow Muffler (11225)

Whats Coming Next: NRG Steering wheel, Corbeau Forza Seats and Sliders (X2), NRG Race Style Steering Wheel with MOMO Hub, UUC Clutch Stop,, M3 Side Moldings, Manual Window regulators
Old 12-12-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
Breticus

I know EuroHB on here used Rokkors for awhile. They're great for replacing shot suspension I've heard. I know from experience that the shocks are more important than the springs. I got lowering springs for my car and didn't change the shocks. Any relatively fast turn makes my car rub. Personally I'd go with the rokkors. I think you'd get an overall better result than just getting springs. If you want to test your shocks. Push down on each corner of the car, when you let go there should be no bounce when it pops back up. Maybe 1 bounce if anything. It should spring right back up into position though. If it bounces then they need to be replaced and then I'd say get the rokkors. if it springs right back up then get some springs. One last thing. New wheels can make the old wheel bearings finally give out. You might be having that problem. Hope this helped. Not an expert if I was wrong about anything somebody please let me know.
Breticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:32 PM   #4
pcalahane

Vehicles

Thanks for the reply. That was pretty much what I was thinking. I was also contemplating removing the power steering for more feel and to tighten things up. I know on my girlfriends S2000 and her dads 360 the power steering turns off after you exceed 7mph.

EuroHB's car looks really clean and I figure that's what this Ti will be for. The last one was built for track days and autoX but with 320K, performance building just isn't being realistic.

Last edited by pcalahane; 01-11-2013 at 04:50 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:38 AM   #5
Breticus

True. EuroHB's car is on rebuilt DDM Tuning coilovers now. But yeah his car looked sweet on those rokkors. The DDM Tuning coilovers are discontinued now I believe though. I actually bought a set off a bimmerforums member today. I'm excited to get them on! When you get the rokkors make a thread show us before and after pics!
Old 12-13-2012, 02:13 AM   #6
trikzta

Vehicles

I used to run Rokkors on my last Ti and well they are great deal not meant for track. I sold them to hellaflush member here and he loves them. I'm looking to buy a new set soon for my new to me Ti

Mods: 325is zender spoiler, 3" carbon fiber antenna, 5% tints rear windows, black out grills, Fogged air intake, Ds1 wheels, Rokkor coilovers, bilstein rear shocks, blacked out tails and home made angel eyes
trikzta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:42 AM   #7
pcalahane

Vehicles

I love all the positive feedback guys. It really puts me at ease. I wasn't looking forward to playing around with the billies to get them to last. Starting fresh and making an old California Ed. Ti look its best sounds great to me.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #8
trikzta

Vehicles

Good luck with the refresh is worth the Investment and the difference in handly is night to day

Mods: 325is zender spoiler, 3" carbon fiber antenna, 5% tints rear windows, black out grills, Fogged air intake, Ds1 wheels, Rokkor coilovers, bilstein rear shocks, blacked out tails and home made angel eyes
Old 01-10-2013, 11:32 PM   #9
pcalahane

Vehicles

So I took my car to the shop today after talking to the previous owner of the car. He said that the shocks were only put on the car 10-15K miles before I purchased it. So in all, I am guessing 30-35K on them. The shop I went to said they were in good condition, the issues I am feeling are all the other suspension pieces that are way beyond their expiration date. With that said, 320K can be very hard on suspension pieces. lol

So I need to get that refresh kit. Also I dont NEED to get new struts/springs. However I still want the drop. So here is a question for everyone... I still want to get Rokkor Coilovers for the drop/adjustability. How much could I sell my full Billy HD set with stock springs for? I have seen just the shocks for $450. New they are $580. So with the springs included, could I try $500? I understand that they are not new, but they still passed inspection.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:51 AM   #10
trikzta

Vehicles

Being for a Ti you probably wouldn't fetch more than 400 specially being stock height

Old 01-12-2013, 04:46 AM   #11
pcalahane

Vehicles

Well the way I figure I can sell them separately as well. I have access to my girlfriends dad's garage with three lifts and all the tools I can think of along with those I didn't know existed. Lol I can surely take it all apart and send someone springs and someone else the shocks and someone else the struts. So all in all, separate at least, I should get $500 I'm thinking. Just need to find people needing these parts. I'm also parting out all the pieces Im stripping out of my car. So if anyone needs interior, let me know. Also have a second set of wheels. If I must, I will sand blast and powder coat parts if it gets me more for it. Perks of having access to the booth and oven.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #12
Breticus

What color is the carpet?
Old 01-12-2013, 11:48 PM   #13
pcalahane

Vehicles

Carpet is light grey. It needs to be cleaned but it should clean up nicely.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:00 AM   #14
Breticus

Like that tan like grey? Or like a real neutral grey? Any pics?
Old 01-13-2013, 07:23 AM   #15
pcalahane

Vehicles

I am color blind so grey looks like grey. Lol I can take a picture if I do not already have one. PM me with your email and I will Email you a pic.