318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Maintenance

Notices

Maintenance Service Interval questions, oil change info.

» Recent Threads
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,454 Views
Brakes - soft pedal and...
04-14-2024 01:02 PM
Last post by bcp
04-14-2024 01:09 PM
1 Replies, 2,320 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 05-11-2005, 06:33 PM   #1
Mothman

Vehicles
Exclamation Low Temp?

Today when I was driving I noticed my Temp Gauge was staying under half for about 30minutes (while driving on the highway). Then it moved halfed way, but when I exited and stop at a red light it started to drop again. When When I got to school and got out my car it smelled like my car was running really hot.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
Mothman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 06:46 PM   #2
motorwerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothman
Today when I was driving I noticed my Temp Gauge was staying under half for about 30minutes (while driving on the highway). Then it moved halfed way, but when I exited and stop at a red light it started to drop again. When When I got to school and got out my car it smelled like my car was running really hot.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
Sounds like you need to check your thermostat (it may be getting stuck). With my first car (BMW 320i), I'd have to check & or replace the thermostat because it wasn't opening/closing. Also, check your radiator hoses for leakage. Hoses wear down after time and need to be pressure checked and/or replaced. Good luck...motorwerk
motorwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 06:53 PM   #3
MEDIA PUSHER"

mine usually runs a little cool, or maybe I should say takes a long time to come up to the middle, I've never really thought much of it though, is it really something to be concerned over?
MEDIA PUSHER" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 07:25 PM   #4
m44ic

mine will be at half in city driving but when I get on the highway it will cool back down almost into the blue or cold.
Mods: clear turn signals, Silverstar headlight bulbs, k&N custom CAI, removed A/C, lightened crank pulley, painted brakes, custom clutch stop, custom strut bar, x-brace, custom solid tranny mounts, Memphis sound system, Sachs sport clutch, B&M short shifter, lightened flywheel, redline MTL ....

Emberrassing honda owners one drive at a time

http://members.cardomain.com/mghockey
m44ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 12:01 AM   #5
lkwd318ti

Mine is like that too. During driving in the city, my temp is usually at half, but on the freeway, it goes back down to 1/4. I thought that my temp guage was broken too.

But this is what I think. I think that it cools down because you're going faster and more cool air gets into your car...
Ever since, it didn't really cross my mind to think about it.
About the whole thing with the car smelling as if it were really hot, I think that's normal too. My car does that sometimes too. My brother's car does that burning smell too (he has an e46 323i), so after that, I thought it was pretty normal too.
(hopefully it is normal, but as of now, I think it is)
-Randy
Now Featuring:318ti.org sticker Now featuring: Hartge exhaust|Blacked out Grilles|Front Clear Corners or Ambers depending on how I feel|325is vented front brakes|Bilstein Sports|H&R Sports|E46 RSMs w/ Z3 reinforcment plates|16" Style 45s|17" E46 M68 rims|18" Authentic Hartge Classics C|OEM M135 ZHP wheels
and
99 Titan Silver 323is Dinan S1+few more mods
Coming sometime in the future:...SCed 2.1...new (to me) car mod maybe?...all in one car
lkwd318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 05:19 PM   #6
bmwpwr

Youve got a bad thermostat. Get it replaced and your needle will stay in the middle where it should be all the time
bmwpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 07:04 PM   #7
MEDIA PUSHER"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwpwr
Youve got a bad thermostat. Get it replaced and your needle will stay in the middle where it should be all the time
How bad of a problem is that, and how much would it cost?
MEDIA PUSHER" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 08:44 PM   #8
Mothman

Vehicles

Thanks for the info, I will order a new one! Outie!
Old 05-12-2005, 10:14 PM   #9
sikbrik

Be sure when you replace the thermostat that you bleed the cooling system...if the car is getting hot but reading cold, there's an air pocket in the system. BMW's are a PITA to bleed and sometimes it takes a few tries to get ALL of the air out. But you probably need a thermostat, too. It's a common culprit and an easy DIY fix. Good luck!
sikbrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 10:35 PM   #10
cali-ti
aka Stabby

those whose temp is going under half when you're up to cruising speed, you either have air in the system or a bad thermostat. you should get it fixed because it'll run rich when it's below normal operating temp reducing gas mileage and burning up your cat. thermostats are like $17 from pelicanparts.com, believe cca discount from dealer should be similar.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 06:19 PM   #11
Mothman

Vehicles
Post Grrrrr

I don't know if this had anything to do with it, but yesterday I went to change my airfilter and noticed that it was not secured on tighlty. It had a 3" gap near the top left. I replaced the airfilter then secured it and drove home. When I did I noticed the Temp Gauge started acting normal. (Dang it Jiffy Lube.) Could that be the reason why I was running cold? So far it has been running normal again.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:07 PM   #12
cali-ti
aka Stabby

i wouldn't think it would as i believe the temp guage is driven off the coolant temp not air temp. possible your stuck thermostat became unstuck. keep an eye on it and if it happens again, replace thermostat. this would be my recommendation. we have some who are probably professional or near professional mechanics who may recommend something else.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 07:21 PM   #13
robcarync

id stay thermostat...

my car was doing the same thing...running cool and such...i got a 19 dollar thermostat from some european performance shop and installed it...and it worked beautifully...

it was getting stuck, making it run rich...
Pioneer Speakers [] Aluminum Billet door locks [] ACS Pedals/Deadrest [] ACS Shift Knob / E-Brake Handle [] Clear Corners/Tails/Sides [] Sylvania Exterior Lighting [] Custom CAI [] Dinan Engine Chip [] Dinan Transmission Chip [] H&R Race Springs [] Tokico Illumina Shocks [] BMW X-Brace [] Relocated Lighter Mod [] Custom iPod Mod
http://www.cardomain.com/id/robcarync
robcarync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 08:49 PM   #14
m44ic

yeah, my thermostat is stuck open so I am going to bumper to bumper after school to get one
Mods: clear turn signals, Silverstar headlight bulbs, k&N custom CAI, removed A/C, lightened crank pulley, painted brakes, custom clutch stop, custom strut bar, x-brace, custom solid tranny mounts, Memphis sound system, Sachs sport clutch, B&M short shifter, lightened flywheel, redline MTL ....

Emberrassing honda owners one drive at a time

http://members.cardomain.com/mghockey
m44ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 09:04 PM   #15
Mothman

Vehicles
Thumbs up Change out!

Thanks for the info everyone, I changed it out and it is running normal again!