318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
Yesterday 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 958,486 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,787 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 08-22-2009, 02:41 AM   #1
xunearthhxcx

Default PBD1.Check Engine, codes read.. suggestions?

I read the sticky, but still a bit unsure.

Anyways, check engine for my 95 TI OBD1 was read.the code numbers they provided didnt exactly match the sticky..

- Throttle position sensor fault
( this looks like an easy fix, just gotta replace that peice thats attached to the throttle body)
- Idle Air Control Motor - ICV??? not sure

Last edited by xunearthhxcx; 08-22-2009 at 02:05 PM.
xunearthhxcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:36 AM   #2
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by xunearthhxcx View Post
I read the sticky, but still a bit unsure.

Anyways, check engine for my 95 TI OBD1 was read.the code numbers they provided didnt exactly match the sticky..

- Throttle position sensor fault
( this looks like an easy fix, just gotta replace that peice thats attached to the throttle body)
- Idle Air Control Motor - ICV??? not sure
Ok for us to help you we need the error codes and what is your question? Are you matching the error code number with the suggested fault?

Do you have driving issues?
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:17 AM   #3
xunearthhxcx

I have a 1995 318ti Clubsport. Recently replaced motor with a lower mileage used motor.

This is how the printout sheet with the error codes was given to me by the shop:
Check Engine Codes:
(12) Throttle Position Sensor Fault
(29) Idle Air Control Motor Fault

I tried matching the codes up, but it doesnt necessarily make sense with what the shop gave me.

- The car drove fine, the ONLY issue I had was when doing cold starts, It would bog and hesitate , and even stall when I pressed the gas. As the engine gradually got warm it went away.

Last edited by xunearthhxcx; 08-24-2009 at 02:25 AM.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:32 AM   #4
dave45056

Did you try to read the codes yourself? Just put the key in position 2 and quickly floor the gas 5 times. You win the jackpot if it comes up 1444.
Read this article:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...de_Reading.htm
Post the codes if you want help from us.
dave45056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:47 AM   #5
xunearthhxcx

it doesnt work for my car, ive tried it many many times(literally about 100), I was told in another thread that the pedal trick wont work on my car.

Last edited by xunearthhxcx; 08-24-2009 at 03:53 AM.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:53 AM   #6
dave45056

I have a clubsport, too. And it works on mine.
dave45056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:57 AM   #7
xunearthhxcx

hmm.. I guess ill keep trying. but I havent even come close to getting it, im usually good at that kind of stuff but have had no luck what-so-ever..

There is definetly something wrong with the car, the throttle position sensor fault I have, that has to do something with the car bogging when pressing the gas while cold..

I cleaned the ICV when it gave me trouble, and that helped ALOT with the surging idle. im just not sure if that means"Idle Air Control Motor Fault"..
Old 08-24-2009, 04:05 AM   #8
tiFreak

Vehicles

maybe if the throttle position sensor is bad it won't read that you're stepping on the pedal and you can't do the stomp trick?
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:08 AM   #9
xunearthhxcx

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiFreak View Post
maybe if the throttle position sensor is bad it won't read that you're stepping on the pedal and you can't do the stomp trick?
ahhhhh... good observation! I guess ill replace it this week with the one off of my previous motor and see!
Old 08-24-2009, 12:56 PM   #10
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
100% correct
Old 08-24-2009, 04:22 PM   #11
tiFreak

Vehicles

cool, I feel smart now
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:45 PM   #12
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
cool, I feel smart now

Take a step further professor. Does a bad TPS sensor cause a ICV error too?

Hint ~ The DME needs the reading from the TPS to know it's position to instruct the IVC what position it should be in for the correct amount of air needed to make a correct A/F ratio for a good quality idle...They rely on each other

I'm confused so can you answer if the IVC needs to be replaced too smart one or is more testing needed?

Last edited by xxxJohnBoyxxx; 08-24-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:02 PM   #13
xunearthhxcx

I had a member here help me about a week ago with all of this(Big Ups to KINGAMR). we cleared all codes except the TPS sensor...

We took the TPS sensor off of his 318ti and put it on mine, and werent able to clear the code. He stated his car didnt throw any CEL codes and from what ive gathered, all TPS sensors were interchangeable from 92-99?

heres a story about the history of this damn sensor in my car...:

I remember when the mechanic first put the newer motor in.. I was sitting inside the car revving it lightly , and for whatever fricking reason,he unplugged the TPS sensor and it immediately threw a check engine light.Though It should reset itself once plugged back in correct?

I have a good used sensor on the way from Bavauto. My car is ONLY throwing this code.If I replace it with the good used one, should it reset instantly? or after a few driving cycles?

If it doesnt reset, where would I go from here? I mean, this is the only code the car is throwing and the damn CEL is staring me in the face. The car runs and drives just fine, from a cold start it bogs only slightly now, and I think it definetly has to do with this sensor issue. Basically, im trying to look ahead, what else could it be thats causing my TPS sensor to throw a bad code? even if the sensor itself is good?

Ive cleaned the ICV, throttle body,tested the intake boot and it doesnt have any cracks. Cleaned the MAF sensor with electrical cleaner. Just trying to be proactive incase this doesnt fix my issue.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:27 PM   #14
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by xunearthhxcx View Post
I had a member here help me about a week ago with all of this(Big Ups to KINGAMR). we cleared all codes except the TPS sensor...

We took the TPS sensor off of his 318ti and put it on mine, and werent able to clear the code. He stated his car didnt throw any CEL codes and from what ive gathered, all TPS sensors were interchangeable from 92-99?

heres a story about the history of this damn sensor in my car...:

I remember when the mechanic first put the newer motor in.. I was sitting inside the car revving it lightly , and for whatever fricking reason,he unplugged the TPS sensor and it immediately threw a check engine light.Though It should reset itself once plugged back in correct?

I have a good used sensor on the way from Bavauto. My car is ONLY throwing this code.If I replace it with the good used one, should it reset instantly? or after a few driving cycles?

If it doesnt reset, where would I go from here? I mean, this is the only code the car is throwing and the damn CEL is staring me in the face. The car runs and drives just fine, from a cold start it bogs only slightly now, and I think it definetly has to do with this sensor issue. Basically, im trying to look ahead, what else could it be thats causing my TPS sensor to throw a bad code? even if the sensor itself is good?

Ive cleaned the ICV, throttle body,tested the intake boot and it doesnt have any cracks. Cleaned the MAF sensor with electrical cleaner. Just trying to be proactive incase this doesnt fix my issue.

Install sensor with car off. Disconnect battery and open car door so interior light drain any caps (Make sure you have the radio code before doing this). Connect battery and start car. Code should be cleared and car might run funny for first 10-15 miles while it learns apation values. If car throws CEL after battery disconnect and cap drain then there is another issues causing the code...Good luck
Old 09-07-2009, 05:56 PM   #15
xunearthhxcx

johnboy... did what you said... The car tries to start , turns over like 5 or 6 times and it doesnt display the CEL during that time. Then after another second or two the CEL comes on and the car starts.. Should I keep trying this method? .. I really really dont know where to turn next..Im almost thinking about just getting rid of the car