318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
Yesterday 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 946,091 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,641 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 04-15-2010, 04:20 AM   #1
mmosquera89

Default Bringing back the 318Ti

You know what would be nice? If BMW all of a sudden decides to bring back the 318Ti. I bet most people will think I am nuts by bringing up such an idea, but you never know. You know how the later models that the U.S didn't get because of the sales, they should have import it here but with some slight modifications and, of course, with the same technology that the BMWs of today have.
mmosquera89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:26 AM   #2
tiFreak

Vehicles

I think the new 3-series is too big to make a good 4-cyl. compact, I'd much rather have a 3-door 1-series hatchback, but BMW won't sell them here because they think Americans don't want a hatchback
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:33 AM   #3
mmosquera89

Yeah if they actually take a look at the Americans that do own a hatchback, they'd be surprised. (BMW or not) Plus I am sure the only way that it would sell if it were a 6-cyl. and not a 4-cyl. since other BMW enthusiasts feel that a small engine like that is not a real BMW, not that I wouldn't prefer a 6-cyl., but I am not financially stable at the moment to fill up gas more often.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:23 AM   #4
pdxmotorhead

Funny BMW build 4 bangers longer than anything else.... lol

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:50 PM   #5
bullmand

The sad reality of this situation is that BMW NA is not willing to sully its self-identified upscale image by bringing any "cheap" or entry-level cars here. They know they can sell hatchbacks because of Mini, and at this point I don't think they're willing to cut into Mini's sales by having a hatchback option under the BMW brand in this country. I've not seen any sales figures, but I'm sure we're the biggest market for Minis and I know we're the biggest market for the 3 Series. It doesn't make sense for them to mess with that. There's no good reason to not sell the 1 Series 3 and 5 door here other than the ones I mentioned above. They'd sell some, probably not a lot, but some. Hopefully we will get some kind of 4 cylinder (probably diesel from the comments coming from various people at BMW NA) in the next couple of years. They're not going to meet the new CAFE requirements if they don't do that. Even if they put a 4 cylinder turbo diesel in the 1 Series they'll probably end up pricing it so that it's not competitive with the other options. Besides the rear-wheel drive, why would anyone buy a $40k diesel 1 when you can get a Golf TDI for $25k? We just got my wife a new GTI to replace the E91 Sport Wagon that we've had for the last couple of years. It looks great, it's fast, the interior is nearly as nice as the wagon, and it's going to be considerably easier to maintain and operate over the expected ownership period. I love my BMW and the E30s that I've been associated with, but it's becoming increasingly unlikely that I'll ever own anything newer than an E46. It makes me sad, but they're going in a direction that doesn't fit my preferences in what I want to drive anymore. If the stupid GTI or Mini was RWD I'd be all over either of those. Oh well. I'll just keep driving the ti until it's just completely unreasonable to do so anymore and be happy with that. It's been almost 12 years now and we're still doing just fine.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:57 PM   #6
pdxmotorhead

" Besides the rear-wheel drive, why would anyone buy a $40k diesel 1 when you can get a Golf TDI for $25k? "

Different cars. I HATE front wheel drive. I don't like the way it feels or handles.
I have a half dozen friends with the TDI VW's and they are all shop queens. They spend more time in the dealers garage than the owners.
And good luck getting a TDI in the NWUS for 25K..... 32 is more like it if you can find one...

It would be so nice if we could get some common sense into our fed here on car standards... sigh..
Our diesel emission standards are designed to price the cars out of our market.

Dave

Last edited by pdxmotorhead; 04-15-2010 at 04:00 PM.
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:00 PM   #7
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullmand View Post
The sad reality of this situation is that BMW NA is not willing to sully its self-identified upscale image by bringing any "cheap" or entry-level cars here. They know they can sell hatchbacks because of Mini, and at this point I don't think they're willing to cut into Mini's sales by having a hatchback option under the BMW brand in this country.
+1

We should all start harassing VW to make a rear-wheel drive version of one of their hatchbacks. Geez, I can't believe I just suggested that. [sigh]

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:19 PM   #8
mmosquera89

I never knew how different it was driving FWD, until I bought a Nissan Altima a couple of years back. RWD all the way

It doesn't matter if it were a 6-cyl engine, but as long as the 318Ti would be back, but I am sure a lot of changes would be made to meet the current BMW standards. I was browsing around for new BMWs and I barely see any of them stick, 5 or 6 speed. I was thinking of keeping mine for many years to come, but I know that I am gonna get something new at that time since by then I will be in my career, or possibly join the Air Force as an officer.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:23 PM   #9
DSKM3

I just don't buy the "Americans don't like hatchbacks" thing. Americans love the SUV and every single SUV is essentially a hatchback.

I think bullmand summed things up quite well.

I love my ti, but if BMW would bring the 135i 3-door hatch over I would be all over it. All indications remain that they will not bring it over to the US market. I think the 1 series coupe looks good, but I like the hatch for the utility it offers. Getting something simple like my road bike in a car with a trunk is a PITA compared to the hatch.

Also looked into the A3, but I just can't do front wheel drive.

The 318ti and 1er hatch are the proper combination of sport and utility.
DSKM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:54 PM   #10
bullmand

I'm curious to see if this rumor of a 3 Series GT pans out or not. But again, it will probably be priced out of any range that I consider reasonable.

DSKM3, we also looked at the A3 a couple of years ago before we bought the wagon. It was very nice, but weirdly soulless. The price wasn't as favorable as the GTI ended up being either and by the time you add in the Quattro and other goodies they can really get up there.

mmosquera89, you pretty much have to order a BMW anymore to get a stick. I suspect it won't be long before they don't offer them at all.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:13 PM   #11
mmosquera89

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullmand View Post
You pretty much have to order a BMW anymore to get a stick. I suspect it won't be long before they don't offer them at all.
I wouldn't be surprised if that were to happen, but it still should be kept since there are still people who drive stick. It's boring driving automatic, no offense.

I guess it just has to do with the majority of Americans who would prefer driving auto just for the ease of it.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:14 AM   #12
tiFreak

Vehicles

standard transmissions are much more popular in Europe than in the states, as long as they keep that up I'm sure a large majority of car makers will continue to offer a real, three pedal standard transmission
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote