318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Induction

Notices

Induction Superchargers, NO2 and turbos.

.
» Recent Threads
98 MTech Daily Driver
12-01-2018 09:00 PM
Last post by KGB318TI
12-15-2018 10:03 PM
1 Replies, 563 Views
Happy Birthday graymae
12-14-2018 06:00 AM
Last post by graymae
12-15-2018 02:34 AM
1 Replies, 297 Views
m42 misfire and smoking
11-05-2018 01:55 AM
Last post by B1p0larbear
12-13-2018 11:11 PM
7 Replies, 1,393 Views
1996 318ti Part Out
09-13-2018 08:43 PM
Last post by Sbim
12-13-2018 07:12 AM
18 Replies, 3,519 Views
95 318ti in Albuquerque
12-11-2018 07:26 AM
Last post by dynagroove
12-13-2018 05:01 AM
6 Replies, 535 Views
MOD Request - Vote for...
12-12-2018 07:06 PM
Last post by 1996 328ti
12-13-2018 04:13 AM
1 Replies, 181 Views
Belt squeaking after...
11-27-2018 11:56 PM
Last post by BRADESTAR
12-12-2018 02:47 AM
6 Replies, 770 Views
FS: '98-Manual-169k...
12-11-2018 08:04 PM
Last post by Boston Green
12-11-2018 08:04 PM
0 Replies, 224 Views
WTB 5 speed 318ti, am...
12-11-2018 05:53 PM
Last post by KASZ
12-11-2018 05:53 PM
0 Replies, 164 Views
New here so lets arc you...
11-09-2018 08:56 AM
Last post by 318tiFatherFigure
12-11-2018 10:59 AM
2 Replies, 671 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2005, 05:42 PM   #1
needle332rur
Senior Member
 
needle332rur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Pomfret Ct
Posts: 277
iTrader: (0)
Thumbs up Starting the Turbo Build

I am starting a custom turbo project on my 95 BM 318ti. I was blessed with a m42 with stronger internals.

Here's the plan

This summer
-turbo placement and manifold building (have a spare stock manifold to work with)


-dedcide which turbo is in better shape and mount it.


-Run oil lines and tap drain line.
-link the rear exhaust into the turbo (already have a flex pipe i put in my custom cat back)
-plumb in RRFPR (rising rate fuel pressure reg)
-mount a front mount intercooler (hopfully behind the kidney grills)
-plumb it all in.
-use a BOV from friends MR2 turbo (easily can hold the boost i'll be running.
-Plumb in a in car boost controller 5 psi normal and max 8 psi
-boost guage and oil pressure guage install

hoping for about 180-190hp at the wheels 200-210hp crank under 8 psi

winter
-cars coming off the road
-new clutch
-thick metal head gasket from www.VACmotorsports.com
-pcIII injector controler
-30 lbs injectors
-will up the max boost to about 10 or 12 psi

I know i wish i had seen someone do this and post pics about it, so i'm going to update the post through the project.

-Nate-
needle332rur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 08:02 PM   #2
m44ic
Senior Member
 
m44ic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: madison, WI
Posts: 402
iTrader: (0)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by needle332rur
I am starting a custom turbo project on my 95 BM 318ti. I was blessed with a m42 with stronger internals.

Here's the plan

This summer
-turbo placement and manifold building (have a spare stock manifold to work with)


-dedcide which turbo is in better shape and mount it.


-Run oil lines and tap drain line.
-link the rear exhaust into the turbo (already have a flex pipe i put in my custom cat back)
-plumb in RRFPR (rising rate fuel pressure reg)
-mount a front mount intercooler (hopfully behind the kidney grills)
-plumb it all in.
-use a BOV from friends MR2 turbo (easily can hold the boost i'll be running.
-Plumb in a in car boost controller 5 psi normal and max 8 psi
-boost guage and oil pressure guage install

hoping for about 180-190hp at the wheels 200-210hp crank under 8 psi

winter
-cars coming off the road
-new clutch
-thick metal head gasket from www.VACmotorsports.com
-pcIII injector controler
-30 lbs injectors
-will up the max boost to about 10 or 12 psi

I know i wish i had seen someone do this and post pics about it, so i'm going to update the post through the project.

-Nate-
sweet, what are the turbo's ariginally off of and what size are they? For which ever you choose to go with I would definitelly recommend a rebuild of the turbo.
__________________
Mods: clear turn signals, Silverstar headlight bulbs, k&N custom CAI, removed A/C, lightened crank pulley, painted brakes, custom clutch stop, custom strut bar, x-brace, custom solid tranny mounts, Memphis sound system, Sachs sport clutch, B&M short shifter, lightened flywheel, redline MTL ....

Emberrassing honda owners one drive at a time

http://members.cardomain.com/mghockey
m44ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 08:15 PM   #3
DustenT
doesn't care about you.
 
DustenT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 3,924
iTrader: (0)
Default

Good luck with your turbo build. I had an EG Vtec Civic about 4 years ago and I did the same thing. It was a really good experience and a lot of fun.

Recommendations:

Front-mount intercooler: If you don't have one, look for one out of a Mitsu Starion or Plymouth Conquest. They are the perfect shape for this kind of project. Let me know if you need intercooler or charge piping couplers, I have a couple feet of 3" left over.

Look to the Honda forums for help with this. There are an ass-load of people driving around in junkyard-turboed Civics. Try this site:

http://www.gamesbbs.com/~turbosi/twinturbo.html

Good luck!
__________________

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 08:21 PM   #4
m44ic
Senior Member
 
m44ic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: madison, WI
Posts: 402
iTrader: (0)
Default

just curious but where are you planning on mounting the turbo? and Im not sure what your planning but turbos dont like flex pipe, you can order mandral bent pieces off the internet, or do what my buddy is doin with his custom S/C setup go behind your local muffler shop and take the scraps they throw away. He found all the piping needed for his charge pipe in a dumpster.
__________________
Mods: clear turn signals, Silverstar headlight bulbs, k&N custom CAI, removed A/C, lightened crank pulley, painted brakes, custom clutch stop, custom strut bar, x-brace, custom solid tranny mounts, Memphis sound system, Sachs sport clutch, B&M short shifter, lightened flywheel, redline MTL ....

Emberrassing honda owners one drive at a time

http://members.cardomain.com/mghockey
m44ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 12:04 AM   #5
needle332rur
Senior Member
 
needle332rur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Pomfret Ct
Posts: 277
iTrader: (0)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m44ic
sweet, what are the turbo's ariginally off of and what size are they? For which ever you choose to go with I would definitelly recommend a rebuild of the turbo.
One is a old volvo t3 (it's has been rebuilt) but has good amount of use.

Other is a t25 from a friends molselman kit for a six cly e30. Has about 4,000 total miles on it but has slight damage on the intake turbine. So i would want to replace that turbine.
needle332rur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 12:10 AM   #6
needle332rur
Senior Member
 
needle332rur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Pomfret Ct
Posts: 277
iTrader: (0)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m44ic
just curious but where are you planning on mounting the turbo? and Im not sure what your planning but turbos dont like flex pipe, you can order mandral bent pieces off the internet, or do what my buddy is doin with his custom S/C setup go behind your local muffler shop and take the scraps they throw away. He found all the piping needed for his charge pipe in a dumpster.
Turbos need a section of flex pipe (on the exhaust) because of the heat and engine movement. It will go manifold to turbo to cat to flex pipe to rest of the exhaust. If you don't have a flex pipe between the turbo and the rest of the exhaust the exhaust manifold will crack.

Yes i am doing mandral bend everywhere intake plumbing and the exhaust is all manderal already.

O yea can't decide to mount the turbo up or down. it will have to be were the molselman kit puts it or in front of the motor. im thinking the first one because of making the down pipe will be easier. but then it would be easier to work on, having the turbo high.
needle332rur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 01:18 AM   #7
BMWDRIFTER
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Colyumbia S.C.
Posts: 101
iTrader: (0)
Default

Mount It Too High And You Will Bake The Paint On The Hood
BMWDRIFTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 02:58 PM   #8
DustenT
doesn't care about you.
 
DustenT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 3,924
iTrader: (0)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDRIFTER
Mount It Too High And You Will Bake The Paint On The Hood

Wrap the turbo and put some Xtreme Dynamat Hood liner in and you will be fine.
__________________

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 03:51 PM   #9
m44ic
Senior Member
 
m44ic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: madison, WI
Posts: 402
iTrader: (0)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDRIFTER
Mount It Too High And You Will Bake The Paint On The Hood
you can also get it ceramic coated also people said it also helps build boost faster for some reason
__________________
Mods: clear turn signals, Silverstar headlight bulbs, k&N custom CAI, removed A/C, lightened crank pulley, painted brakes, custom clutch stop, custom strut bar, x-brace, custom solid tranny mounts, Memphis sound system, Sachs sport clutch, B&M short shifter, lightened flywheel, redline MTL ....

Emberrassing honda owners one drive at a time

http://members.cardomain.com/mghockey
m44ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 03:53 PM   #10
m44ic
Senior Member
 
m44ic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: madison, WI
Posts: 402
iTrader: (0)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by needle332rur
Turbos need a section of flex pipe (on the exhaust) because of the heat and engine movement. It will go manifold to turbo to cat to flex pipe to rest of the exhaust. If you don't have a flex pipe between the turbo and the rest of the exhaust the exhaust manifold will crack.

Yes i am doing mandral bend everywhere intake plumbing and the exhaust is all manderal already.

O yea can't decide to mount the turbo up or down. it will have to be were the molselman kit puts it or in front of the motor. im thinking the first one because of making the down pipe will be easier. but then it would be easier to work on, having the turbo high.
ooh, my bad I though you were talkin about the stuff thats like wire loom accept for exhuast, I understand know.
__________________
Mods: clear turn signals, Silverstar headlight bulbs, k&N custom CAI, removed A/C, lightened crank pulley, painted brakes, custom clutch stop, custom strut bar, x-brace, custom solid tranny mounts, Memphis sound system, Sachs sport clutch, B&M short shifter, lightened flywheel, redline MTL ....

Emberrassing honda owners one drive at a time

http://members.cardomain.com/mghockey
m44ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 10:13 PM   #11
pdxmotorhead
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Portland Or
Posts: 2,666
iTrader: (1)
Default

The higher above the oil level the turbo will fit the better.
Make sure the drain has as few kinks as possible and use 1"
drain hose. Under hard driving the turbo will foam the oil up
to 4X its normal volume and cause a temporary blockage that
will back too much oil in the bearings and cause premature
failure of the seals.
Also make sure the oil drain does not enter block too low so that oil doesn't
push back up the pipe from hard cornering.

Dave
__________________
Dave - PDX
1995 318ti - Active Black and Tan.
2005 330xi - Mtech 1 - 6spd - Orient Blue/Black
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 10:46 PM   #12
GDB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tyler, TX
Posts: 1,022
iTrader: (0)
Default

The RRFPR may work for the time being, but I'd suggest getting a proper tune, especially since you are OBD1 (which makes it alot easier).

And as far as insulating the turbo, I'd go with a turbo blanket instead of the dynamat. Dynamat will not hold up to the temps that a turbo will see.
__________________
Member #1 Keep E46 Bumpers off E36s Club
http://www.geocities.com/guywiththebluecar/GDBsig2.bmp
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 11:09 PM   #13
DustenT
doesn't care about you.
 
DustenT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 3,924
iTrader: (0)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB
The RRFPR may work for the time being, but I'd suggest getting a proper tune, especially since you are OBD1 (which makes it alot easier).

And as far as insulating the turbo, I'd go with a turbo blanket instead of the dynamat. Dynamat will not hold up to the temps that a turbo will see.
Right.....I wouldn't recommend wrapping your turbo with Dynamat. But Dynamat does make a hood liner that reflects heat, so you don't bake your paint. Like I said wrap your turbo with insulating wrap and use the Dynamat for your hood liner just to be safe.
__________________

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 12:54 AM   #14
needle332rur
Senior Member
 
needle332rur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Pomfret Ct
Posts: 277
iTrader: (0)
Default Update 5/7/2005

Friend gave me the diverter valve. So this save money. I really have not spent that much but im sure that will start to change real soon.

I am changing my some of my seals in the tranny soon. At the same time I will be changing the clutch and the oil soaked stock tranny mounts and a few other parts while I have it on the lift. I'm also going to figure out the mounting location on the turbo that same day on the lift. It's going to be a busy day!

I'll make sure to bring the camera and get some good pics of mounting locations.

Here is the diverter valve....

needle332rur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 05:11 AM   #15
needle332rur
Senior Member
 
needle332rur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Pomfret Ct
Posts: 277
iTrader: (0)
Default

look its done!!



guess it's not that funny huh...
needle332rur is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:43 AM.


.
Powered by site supporters
vBulletin Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1999 - 2018, 318ti.org
© vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2
[page compression: 123.46 k/147.88 k (16.52%)]

318ti.org does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information or products discussed.