318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Misc

Notices

Misc Does not fit in any of the forums below.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
Yesterday 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 947,203 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,646 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 09-12-2010, 03:32 AM   #1
machmach

Question Replace Windshield Washer Tank/Reservoir

Does anyone have detailed instructions and/or how to guide on removing the 5-Liter Windshield Washer Tank/Reservoir?

It seems to be secured from underneath and do not want to damage it by forcing off and breaking something. I realized upon replacing a defective windshield washer nozzle that my 318ti had been prewired for heated and for some reason there were only non-heated ones installed.

Looking to run another tube from Washer pump (using y plastic connector) in order use heated nozzles as they have two nipples for connecting check valves vs. 1 for non heated. Bottom line is that I need to get to the bottom of the tank to make this modification.

Unless I am missing something, does anyone have any insight if the heated nozzles are tubed from the Windshield Reservoir different from what I am suggesting? I could possible split them near the nozzle junctions in the hood, but would think pressure would be better if split off one of the the exiting nipples near the bottom of the fluid tank.

Any help and insight greatly appreciated as I cannot find any similar posting in the forum unless I missed it.

There is the link to the washer tank and heated nozzle I am referring to:

http://www.bmwpartscounter.com/showA...ssembly=160128
machmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #2
Silverti

If i remember rightly, when others have retrofitted these they just blocked the 2nd pipe on the nozzles up and they worked fine.

Will have a look for the post......
Silverti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:42 AM   #3
Silverti

Take a read through http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthrea...ghlight=heated may help you out
Old 09-12-2010, 02:43 PM   #4
machmach

Question

Thanks Silverti. Read through the link you provided, but in this instance the electrical heating element connections are fine and match up to the pre-installed harness.

The main point I am curious about is how the water tubing is run say in another 300 BMW series (i.e. 325) to encompass the additional tube nipple protruding from the nozzle.

On another note, would anyone know how to safely remove the windshield washer tank/reservoir?

Thanks for the replies and great info!
Old 09-13-2010, 01:10 PM   #5
Silverti

This was the bit in that thread i thought may have been useful.

Quote:
While the new heated ones have two intake tubes only one needs to be connected. The part was changed when newer models were introduced that use two tubes but the second tube isnt necessary everything still works as it should.
And

Quote:
I wasn't sure when installing, so I put a tee in to both inputs.
Either way i haven't a clue how the washers tank is removed or the piping run on newer models i'm afraid Good luck
Old 09-13-2010, 05:00 PM   #6
machmach

Thanks again Silverti for the specific quotes and as you mentioned, the extra intake tube can be left open with no leakage, just had to make sure to cut the tube and insert another check valve as the tube was leaking :-).

I will stay away from taking off the water tank, although still very curious on how to release it from the bottom.

Much appreciated.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:29 PM   #7
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

My apologies, I meant to post a reply the other day, but I was busy and forgot. Anyway, hope it's not too late but there's a tab molded onto the bottom of the reservoir. The tab slides into a bracket that's welded onto the inner fender. Just remove the plastic screw and slide it straight up. I replaced my reservoir with a 2.5L tank that came off of my M3. BMW used 5L reservoirs on vehicles equipped with rear wipers. Personally I think it's overkill and takes up too much space in the engine compartment. Especially since our cars have the same engine compartment as the e36 sedan which is much shorter than the e36 coupes. The smaller tank looks much cleaner and should give a little more room to work in that area. Here's a couple pics:

cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:06 PM   #8
machmach

Smile

Thanks so much CoolJess76. Actually I put this project on hold in hopes that in addition to Slverreti's response I could put the puzzle pieces together.

Also, great tip on the 2.5L Reservoir and I will do the same.

Really appreciate the excellent photos as well.

Best regards to all!
Old 09-19-2010, 04:45 PM   #9
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by machmach View Post
Thanks so much CoolJess76. Actually I put this project on hold in hopes that in addition to Slverreti's response I could put the puzzle pieces together.

Also, great tip on the 2.5L Reservoir and I will do the same.

Really appreciate the excellent photos as well.

Best regards to all!
No worries man. Wish I could've chimed in sooner. As for the heated nozzles, it was my understanding that our cars came with them, but perhaps I was mistaken.

If anyone wants my old 5L washer fluid reservoir, you can have it for free. I already gave the M3 washer fluid pump away because it only had a single hose coming out of it since the M3 doesn't have a rear wiper. The tank is fine though, a little dirty, but no leaks.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:12 PM   #10
J!m

Vehicles

And I have a new 2.5l tank available if someone needs it.

See the For Sale section!

PS I will be in Mexico from this afternoon until Saturday so may not see replies...

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote