318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Maintenance

Notices

Maintenance Service Interval questions, oil change info.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,006,112 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 02-21-2006, 08:00 PM   #1
Blue318ti

Default bad Camshaft Position Sensor (CPS)

Is it necessary to remove the intake housing to replace the CPS? Is there an easier way to replace it? heck! it's only a piece of wire and there should be nothing to it, a screw on one end and connector on the other...right? I've spent a couple of hours last night looking for a way to reach the side connector and I could'nt even see it. And I used a mirror and lites to peek through the crevices. Has Anyone changed this sensor before and did you find an easier way to do it? Otherwise this is a real bear to replace. M44, E36, '98 318ti
Blue318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:44 PM   #2
madfronter

I changed the sensor and had to use touch since I was unable to see anything.
madfronter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:51 PM   #3
barische

ok u gotta take offthe top of the intake manifold off,, me and my mechanic did it together in 2 hours but he was also was busy doin other stuff and most of the time i was doin it. its an very easy job and u dont need any gaskets. we ordered teh gasket that goes in between top manifold and bottom manifold... the gaskets are plastic with a piece of metal inside them if u are careful u will be fine... when u open the top manifold might as well clean it with throttle cleaner....

also the sensor is around 100 bucks...

be very careful with the small plastic pieces on the throttle cables... cuz when i lost the one for the cruise control i couldnt order it from the dealer and now i dont have cruise control and it pisses me off so much...

if u have any questions my aim is xenadem
Old 02-22-2006, 06:55 PM   #4
Blue318ti

Hey madfronter how in the world did you get your hand in such a tight spot to pull the connector out??
Old 02-22-2006, 07:05 PM   #5
Blue318ti

Barische, did you take only the top half off? does it separate in half? I was looking at it, and it seems like it's all in one piece. And yeah, there are alot of components on and around it. I can see how your throttle cable piece broke darn, I was hoping there was an easier way to pull it out. I guess it's just uncharter territory. I don't wan't to get too deep into the engine where I'll screw things up. But, I will If I have to. Don't have too many choices anyway.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:19 AM   #6
CaliDohBoy

Thank GOD i'm not the only one with this problem. My wife calls me today to tell me she is stopped dead in the #3 lane on Interstate 5 at the 805 interchange (you CA guys know how crazy that area is). Thank GOD again that AutoZone has ODBII readers for free rent and I found out it was the CPS. Buying one tonight thanks to others like me that say that's probably it.
CaliDohBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 06:06 AM   #7
CaliDohBoy

So I just got done reading through the years of service records for the car... it appears this CPS is haunting my car (as well as the SRS light). The CPS in this car has been replaced at least 2 times already and I only have 73000 miles on it! AHHHH!! They've replaced seat belt buckles over and over too for the SRS Light!!!
Old 02-24-2006, 07:44 AM   #8
halek

I had to replace mine at 33k. The garage that fitted it didn't remove the manifold (or anything else) to reach it. Took about 20mins.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:29 PM   #9
Blue318ti

I knew there was a way to replace it without removing the manifold!...I just have to figure out where the connector is. If I can see it, I'll find the way to pry it off.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:31 PM   #10
Blue318ti

I know the 5 /805 interchange-merge, it's crazy there, specially at rush hour. and even after rush hour you're on your own, everyone is hauling a**
Old 02-27-2006, 05:43 PM   #11
Blue318ti

Lightbulb

Ok people, I replaced my CPS. It took my friend and I less than 30 mins. We did had to remove the top manifold. But it was easy since I was holdind it up, while he disconnected the old one and connected the new one. Three bolts and two nuts its all there is. I still can't figure how some people manage to do it without loosening the manifold?? anyways its done now and it was easier than I thought.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:50 PM   #12
cali-ti
aka Stabby

can you take pics of the connectors on the camshaft position sensor? then it's possible people could reach in there and remove it without removing the manifold. be great to do a write up for the KB
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 06:31 PM   #13
CaliDohBoy

Dude... on the newer ti's it's IMPOSSIBLE to get to that connector without removing the top of the manifold. I just replaced mine this weekend ('97 ti) and I attempted to smoosh my hand up in there and find the connector... not gonna happen. I think you can do it on the older models (pre-96 I believe) I went through the lengthy Hayne's manual how to... probably could of skipped a few steps (more than I did) but it took me less than an hour. Car runs B-E-A-UTIFUL.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:06 AM   #14
Blue318ti

Cool

Pic's??.. no problem! I'll take 'em and put 'em here. Also, I just found out through my neighbor (he's a mechanic. (not the guy that helped me)) that BMW has done an upgrade on these sensors. They now are made with a metal barrel instead of plastic. they are supposed to last longer than the old ones, turns out the plastic ones develop cracks and allow oil to leak inside thus going bad. He said the dealer has them. Unlucky me! I bought my replacement through Autozone, paid $109 and got the old one.. ...So, get yours at the dealer. I supposed it'll be a while til the aftermarket stores sell all their old ones and they stock the new upgrades. The good news here is that there is hope that we won't have to replace these suckers as often as we have been
Old 02-28-2006, 06:11 AM   #15
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

There is a step by step guide on how to do this with removing the upper manifold. (hint: you need floss). Check the z3 m44 boards. I replaced mine without removing the manifold.

10 minutes, that's all it takes....unless you don't have floss....

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote