318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Interior and ICE

Notices

Interior and ICE For all interior and In Car Entertainment discussion.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
Today 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 939,005 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,600 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 10-29-2006, 01:02 AM   #61
everchini

Post headliner on pillars

The headliner type of material on the pillars by the hood and windshield are FADED, i suppose from the sun. Does anyone have any ideas or solutions to this porblem?
everchini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 02:18 AM   #62
mohaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by everchini View Post
The headliner type of material on the pillars by the hood and windshield are FADED, i suppose from the sun. Does anyone have any ideas or solutions to this porblem?
Have the fabric replaced.

The sunroof is the main thing that you have to be concerned about the type of fabric that you use. The tolerance on the gaps in the sunroof are very low. If you use a non-BMW fabric or don't use a fabric that is the same thickness as the BMW fabric the sunroof will jam over time. This is why it is more expensive to have the headliner replaced properly. Shouldn't really matter on the A-pillars. So when a shop says it costs more because it is a BMW they are telling the truth. It is a higher grade fabric, much thinner, and does not pill up.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 04:02 AM   #63
everchini

thanks mohaughn
everchini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:44 PM   #64
Mad-Machine

still does not answer the question.. how to get the cover for the sunroof out.
Mad-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 06:58 AM   #65
marleymon

mad- to get the cover off- you need to drop the whole cartridge.

With the hatch open, I rest the cartridge on the rear shelf/seat. I ran power to the motor so I could run it back and forth- I was relocating the switch to the arm anyways. There is a notch you have to line up the sliders with to get the cover out.
Or..basically you tap the button/drop the roof down just about a 1/4 inch....then you can slide the cover back....but again the cartridge has to be down to remove it from the rear. So dropping it first and running power is easier.
It's pretty easy.....once I figured out how to get it back in....it's really pretty simple.
Let me know if you attempt it....I can help.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:35 AM   #66
rholbrook

Default Headliner...

I was an idiot and tried doing it myself with some spray adhesive. The glue seaped through the headliner and it looks like total **** now. I was livid. I'm taking it in somewhere and getting it done right. If you try DIY make sure you THINK before doing anything!!! Now I'll pay for a new headliner plus labor!
rholbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:52 PM   #67
Palmashooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by everchini View Post
Something you might do to prevent that in the future is find a window tint shop and make friends with the owner and have them do the entire front glass in 50%. I know of 2 shops in my area that will do it for me. No worries about dash cracks, fading, plus it really helps on hot sunny days with cooling. 50% is so light you will hardly notice it even at night. I've always had my front windshield done and have never had it even noticed by law enforcement.
Palmashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:24 PM   #68
kelly.st

Default Headliner

Im also getting some big time saggage of the headliner over the back seats. Does everyone agree that Im better off getting it done professionally then trying to do it myself?

If you have done it yourself do you have any tips or recommendations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	DSCF0253.jpg Views:	750 Size:	49.7 KB ID:	6445  
kelly.st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:30 PM   #69
drrty byl

Tips on doing it yourself:

#1. Make sure you use a spray adhesive specifically marketed for repairing automotive headliner. I would use this stuff or similar: 3M Super Trim. Otherwise your liner will sag and you will have done 15 hours of work [for nothing]. If you don't go OEM with the fabric, Joann's Fabric and other fabric stores usually stock auto headliner.
#2. Getting the sunroof panel in and out is a b!tch and requires removal of the sunroof itself, but there are several online how-tos out there that should help.
#3. After you rip the old fabric off of the headboard, make sure to get as much of the old glue off as possible before attempting to adhere new fabric. Make sure you generously coat both the back of the fabric and the headboard (but from a spray distance of at least 10 inches; otherwise the adhesive will bleed through and ruin your new fabric), letting each dry for a couple of minutes before re-adhering.
#4. A nice detailing adhesive for areas like the A-pillars and the edges of the headboard (once you've trimmed it) is rubber cement. Using the same 2-sided dry and adhere method, this stuff works really well for securing the edges of the fabric.

Good luck!
drrty byl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:20 PM   #70
jordanmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly.st View Post
Im also getting some big time saggage of the headliner over the back seats. Does everyone agree that Im better off getting it done professionally then trying to do it myself?

If you have done it yourself do you have any tips or recommendations.
I just spray painted mine instead of dealing with the cloth. It was much easier than trying to glue a new liner down.
I hate working with fabric, it can be nit-picky and a pain in the ass.
I do not have a leather interior though, so the spray painted liner actually looks better then the faded, stained cloth.
getting the liner out of and into the car in 1 piece is by far the hardest part
jordanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:50 PM   #71
Xenocide

just removed mine and bought some black microfiber for the new fabric. Should be working on it this weekend! will post pics!
Old 12-04-2008, 10:47 PM   #72
hotmilk400

do it yourself. i did mine for less then $50 and i had a sunroof. i didnt do the sunroof because i didnt feel like taking it down (i had it down before, its a pain)

its not hard at all. you can do it yourself if you want.. just remove everything from the ceiling, pull th etrim back, and pop out the headliner. take it into your basement or outside. rip off the old material. get some spray glue, or professional headliner glue for $10. spray the headliner and the material and let it dry for about 2 minutes. then stick the material on top of the headliner and use a roller or your hand to smooth it out. cut out the holes for everything with a sharp utility knife. then stick it back in your car. start in the back and go front (worked easier for me). not really hard.

if you do it yourself, hold the material over in the very front since there is no trim to hold it up..

it doesnt take that long, and is better then losing $375
hotmilk400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:42 PM   #73
Mopho

Damn. I don't have a basement and it's raining outside.
Guess I'll have to leave mine sagging...
(JK)

Actually, I have done GM headliners (older Cameros and Firebirds and a few pickup trucks) by just spraying them with texture coat like the bedliner spray or trunk paint... only you thin it out a little so it is smoother. You can get any color you want, and NEVER have to worry about it sagging again. I'll post photos when I get mine done...

Or...you can take it out and leave it out, looks more like a race car that way...

JMHO.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:50 PM   #74
Asharus

Got a quote for headliner repair over the phone from Automat in Hicksville, NY. Probably around 200-300. I'm planning on doing this repair sometime in the Spring. FYI there is no sunroof on my car.
Asharus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:39 AM   #75
Mopho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asharus View Post
Got a quote for headliner repair over the phone from Automat in Hicksville, NY. Probably around 200-300. I'm planning on doing this repair sometime in the Spring. FYI there is no sunroof on my car.
I am going to pull mine out and spray it, or leave it out.
Less weight = more faster !