318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Misc

Notices

Misc Does not fit in any of the forums below.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 991,213 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-24-2006, 11:47 PM   #31
Platanos

how do i take the key barrel out? bently says to put key in "radio position" and stick a piece of wire into the tiny hole and it will come out.... i call bull****!!
Old 01-25-2006, 12:16 AM   #32
Platanos

[QUOTE=318ti Coupe]If you don't mind, can you tell us how you took off these two bolts, as I too ordered a new ignition.

chisel took a lil patients, but they came out
Old 01-25-2006, 12:57 AM   #33
aceyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali-ti
did you ask why they used the fracture bolts?
Safety (crash) but I also imagine it's to make theft more difficult / easier to recognize.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:38 AM   #34
cali-ti
aka Stabby

hmmm ... i'm thinking the theft may be more on the spot. why would it be crash related? i don't see that piece fracturing saving your life or anything in a crash. or is there something i'm missing?
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 01:52 AM   #35
Platanos

i think it more of a security thing.

my problem now is that i cant get number 5 to fit into number 2. anyone have any ideas?

edit.. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...09&hg=32&fg=30
Old 01-25-2006, 11:36 AM   #36
318ti Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platanos
how do i take the key barrel out? bently says to put key in "radio position" and stick a piece of wire into the tiny hole and it will come out.... i call bull****!!
I rang BMW Service yesterday and they said the same thing except using a needle instead of a wire, it didn't work so we had to take off the steering wheel and after a bit of trouble, slide that whole piece off (the steering lock/ignition switch pictured in the link in your post) and replaced it with another piece and also replaced the EWS II Control Unit BUT... the damn thing still won't start. Can you please tell me how/if you got the car working again. Also, did you have to get a new key or are you using your old key?
318ti Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 02:38 PM   #37
Platanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 318ti Coupe
I rang BMW Service yesterday and they said the same thing except using a needle instead of a wire, it didn't work so we had to take off the steering wheel and after a bit of trouble, slide that whole piece off (the steering lock/ignition switch pictured in the link in your post) and replaced it with another piece and also replaced the EWS II Control Unit BUT... the damn thing still won't start. Can you please tell me how/if you got the car working again. Also, did you have to get a new key or are you using your old key?

i also had trouble taking out my lock. i tried to use a heavy duty paper clip and a jewelers screwdriver. none of them worked. so i too went through the same trouble of removing the steering wheel, turn signal, ignition wires, ect. just to get the assembly off. that little lock ring was a pain. so now i put everything back together except my new key lock. it wont go in. if i try it without the key it barely goes in. with the key in and turned a bit it goes in a bit further. but it still does not sit in there perfect. how did you get your key lock into the housing?

the dealership never said anything about changing the EWS II control unit. i dont know where that is or what it does? i don't have a new set of keys. they told me the key lock was "coded" to my key. i had to give them the VIN number to place the order.

keep me updated. i'm gonna call another dealership and see what they say.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:11 PM   #38
318ti Coupe

I had to go to a salvage place and buy a steering lock/ignition switch off them. The guy there removed the entire steering lock/ignition switch which had the key barrel in it since it was just off another car which of course came with another key (my car didn't come with a key and the key barrel was broken, that's why I had to buy a new one). And the guy at the salvage place gave me a EWS which is, from what I've read, is the computer thing which encodes your key and recognises that key whenever you turn it on.

I've installed everything yet it still doesn't turn on. I've left the key in the ignition for like an hour to let the computer encode it or whatever it does, still no luck.

As for your key barrel, try turning the key as you're pushing the barrel in. Jiggle it around or something.

I found in the boot of my car another key barrel still attached to the metal part which was sawn off. I've looked inside it and it's like those safe locks you see in movies about bank robberies or similiar, when they try to pick the lock they show you the inside of it. That's how the barrel looked like from the inside. You gotta get the pattern right so every metal piece of the lock slides into place and then push it in. So try turning the key in the accessory position and pushing in.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:25 PM   #39
Platanos

So your car didn't come with a key? You bought a used steering lock which came with the key barrel and a set of keys? Did you swap out the black ring that surrounds the key barrel? it would be number six here http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...09&hg=32&fg=30 it has two green wires attached to it. Is that part of the EWS?
Old 01-25-2006, 03:46 PM   #40
318ti Coupe

Everything you see in that picture, I bought and replaced.

Those wires, you're talking about, go into the Transmitter/Reciever Module under the dash which has a wire that goes to the EWS.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:11 AM   #41
thekinwc

Platanos means banana or plantain? Anyway, your key got stuck in the on position so you may have to stick in the new barrel in the on position as well.
thekinwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 12:13 AM   #42
thekinwc

318ti coupe probably has to take the car to the dealership to get ews ecu and key aligned.
thekinwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 02:07 AM   #43
Platanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekinwc
Platanos means banana or plantain? Anyway, your key got stuck in the on position so you may have to stick in the new barrel in the on position as well.

plantain/green banana...lol. i got my key barrel in finally. it started up no problem.

i do have kind of an issue though. when i open my door or the co-pilot door the chime comes on as if the key was in. its kind of annoying. also i have a srs light on. i don't know why, maybe i put the airbag back on incorrectly. i don't know. other than that she is alive once again.

318ti coupe....i don't know what the problem could be. make sure you have the ring antenna on. check your switch and make sure you "hear" it click when the key is turned. check your interlock cable on both ends. i know you've probably done all this already but its all i can think of. keep us posted
Old 01-27-2006, 01:05 AM   #44
318ti Coupe

Does anyone know where the DME is located? I found a sliver square shaped object behind the glovebox, but the plug going into it is smaller than the plugs I've seen in pictures on the net of the DME. It's about the same size as the plug going into the EWS II. Is this the DME or something else?
Old 01-27-2006, 04:58 AM   #45
Platanos

dme is located at the right rear engine compartment, behind bulkhead panel. i only know that because i looked it up the the bently manual and thats what it said.