318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Interior and ICE

Notices

Interior and ICE For all interior and In Car Entertainment discussion.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,011,992 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 02-06-2006, 09:03 PM   #16
halek

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormos
how much would you charge to build one like your again halek?
I dont have the time atm mate + it's to bloody cold in my garage. If I did have the time, I honestly dont think I could make one for less than steathboxz charge either. It's just so time consuming custom building from scratch.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:06 PM   #17
stormos

i might cheat, but the steath box and cut the front off then mould the speaker out similiar to yours
Mods: • Magnex Cat-Back Exhaust • Smoked Corner Lights + Repeators • M3 17" Wheels • De-Baffled Air Box • AC HandBrake Handle and Gear Knob • DEPO Euro Epsiloids + Predator Chronium Rings • Chrome Interior bits •IE Poly-Urethane RSFMs • Kenwood Power Series Audio • Powder Coated e36 325 Front Callipers • Sports Seats
stormos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:38 PM   #18
evalha007

My wife was bitching again about the fact that my(our) 318ti has no trunk due to the presence of my subs... Do you think that the custom set up would have a negative effect on the bass response of the subs?
Silver 98 318ti Standard trans, Sport Package: 16" Stock Wheels, Foglamps, Sunroof, Heated Leather Seats, Bilstein performance shocks, OEM Sach's clutch kit, Dunlop SP Sport A2 225/50/16 tires, Alpine CDA 7894, Dual Rockford Fosgate 12" subs, Rockford Fosgate Amp, Leather Armrest, Replaced M44 engine with only 40k on it!
http://www.geocities.com/evalha/bmwsmaller.JPG
evalha007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 07:34 PM   #19
thekinwc

No... Mine is loud and clean. http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8193
thekinwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 08:49 PM   #20
mischief

thats hot great job
mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:53 PM   #21
halek

Quote:
Originally Posted by evalha007
Do you think that the custom set up would have a negative effect on the bass response of the subs?
Audiophile standard sub box design is a fine art & everyone seems to have their own opinion as to what performs best. People go to extreme lengths to build & tune sub boxes that exactly match their cone of choice/system/the acoustics of their car. I even know of people that will choose a car model specifically for its suitability to build a system in.

Fiberglass custom builds are always going to be a compromise as ideally you want a lot of mass in the box, most boxes are made of heavy (5/8 - 1") mdf to reduce energy loss from flexing. I made this box using 7 layers of heavyweight matt with internal braces to try & replicate this without the physical weight. It's also lined with dynamat & loosely stuffed with polyfill fibre to reduce high frequency resonances.

It's a sealed enclosure (as opposed to ported or bandpass) purely because sealed boxes are easier to tune, you just build the box with the internal volume that the speaker manufacturer recommend - measure the volume of irregular shapes with those little polystyrene chips used for packing.

I'm pleased with it, it sounds good imo. A conventional MDF box may give a few more db & go a bit lower but you'd need a golden ear to appreciate it -especially over my magnex exhaust at full chat
Old 08-03-2006, 12:41 AM   #22
Watchmyradical

looks great, has inspired me to make one, just one question, how did you mount that in?
-lane
e46 325 brake upgrade, Dinan engine chip, UUC SS brake lines, UCC rotors, m68 17in wheels, Conti extreme contacts, Billstein sport shocks, H&R springs, M3 shock mounts, B&B triflow exhaust, K&N cone filter, Magnecor 8.5 wires, Meyle control arms with caster , Hawk ceramic pads, Understeer M3 SSK, UUC SS clutch line, 320 trans mounts.
Watchmyradical is offline   Reply With Quote