318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Regional Forums > United States > Southwestern - US

Notices

Southwestern - US General discussion and questions in AZ, NM, NV, OK, TX, UT.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
Yesterday 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 942,891 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,633 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 07-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
NeoMishMoo

Default Moving to DFW, what to expect for my ti

Just got a transfer promotion from KY to DFW area Texas. Not sure what to expect for my vehicles. I'm from a Commonwealth and we have no DMV here. Back when I lived in Hawai'i there was a DMV and it was awful.

What are the vehicle inspections like? How strict are emissions? I've got my little Boston green basket case with a turbo and no cat. Will I be able to take that with me? What is the auto life like? I've only heard everything is accessed via interstates that are very congested due to eternal construction.
NeoMishMoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
Boffalora

Vehicles
Default Texas Emissions Requirements

Neo, congratulations on that promotion!

I brought my first 'ti (a 1996 base) from St. Louis to Dallas in 1997. Without snow and precious little ice it was a joy to drive in Texas.

Here's a Yahoo Voices post from 2009 on the subject. All the DFW-area counties are included in the emissions testing program. Follow the TCEQ site link for details. http://voices.yahoo.com/guide-emissi...s-3633599.html

My suggestion? Keep your 'ti licensed in Kentucky until you're well-settled in Texas and become familiar with the many independent garages in the DFW area that specialize in German makes. One of them can probably advise you how to proceed with modifying your 'ti to meet Texas emissions requirements.

Good luck on your move and new job!

Boffalora
Boffalora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
NeoMishMoo

Thanks for the info, I had it in my mind that Texas would be really lenient. I imagined a bunch of big trucks blowing smoke at every red light, oh wait thats kentucky. I guess we're the only state, erm commonwealth, that makes captain planet cry. I'll definitely be in the DFW area for at least a year, so I will have to register the car in TX eventually, but good to know I'll have a little bit of time to get it figured out.

EDIT: wait, old cars and diesel engines are exempt from emissions? So there is a good chance my preconceived notions of smoke billowing diesel trucks might still be a reality? Also I can bring my e30 rust bucket down since it is over 25 years old!

Last edited by NeoMishMoo; 07-20-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:52 AM   #4
djazz

Any idea what part of DFW? That cover a lot of territory. I know a guy...

Seriously though, I would be more worried about no cat than having the turbo. Texas is slowly turning into California though.
djazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
NeoMishMoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by djazz View Post
Any idea what part of DFW? That cover a lot of territory. I know a guy...

Seriously though, I would be more worried about no cat than having the turbo. Texas is slowly turning into California though.
Tarrant County 90% or a bordering county. Looking at places in Keller currently, but haven'y found place yet.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:20 AM   #6
djazz

Congrats and an early welcome to you.

I'm down at the other end of Rufe Snow Dr. in Richland Hills. I like the neighborhood here, more of a settled hometown feel, but Keller and places to the north are growing like crazy and the schools are supposed to be better. Try to find a place with more trees than concrete and watch out for the HOAs.

If you need anything let me know. I work crazy hours but will do what I can.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:50 AM   #7
djazz

Oh to cover your original questions a bit better now that I've slept:

What year ti? A '95 right?

It would get a sniffer test, so you may need some tuning to pass inspection and a cat would help. Otherwise('96 and up) it's an OBDII check and there are ways to make things work. In either case, knowing the right people would surely help like Boffalora said.

It depends what you are looking for but there is a pretty active car scene here. Autocross? Shine and Show? Just rollin' the twisties? You should be able to find like-minded people.

Traffic certainly sucks here but there are ways around that sometimes. I have my "short cuts" here and there. We're always looking for fun drives without any texting soccer moms.

The benefit for me is I have a 12 minute drive to work in downtown Fort Worth. The house is on an acre of land, the horses are out back, and I see green out every window.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:35 PM   #8
NeoMishMoo

I've got a 97. Its just me moving so no worry about schools or other family type things. Was looking to just rent a house to begin with but might find myself in an apartment. I'll be working in Haslet and there is nothing in Haslet it seems. I'll keep it registered in Kentucky as long as I can until I can get something worked out.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
NeoMishMoo

I'm thinking about just putting my non-turbo exhaust back on (basically stock mani with a straight pipe all the way back) and take it to majestic turbo dallas once I get down to TX. They seem like experts. If I had a straight pipe with a high flow or other 3rd party catalytic converter would it pass emissions?
Old 10-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #10
djazz

Hey are you here yet? I was sidetracked and lost this thread.

I have my ti in pieces now but I've turned my attention to the M5, getting ready for TexFest.

Hope the trip is safe and the job works out.

dj